Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Libertarian #397347 31/12/09 07:52 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I for one was kind of happy to learn that there are no respawning enemies. And it certainly doesn't detract from this being an RPG.

What a skewed view you have, OP. In the future, read reviews and research games before buying them. With a bit of research it's quite obvious that enemies do not respawn in this game. Oh, and more importantly, just because you think certain elements make or break an RPG, does not make it so.

Jorlen #397395 01/01/10 02:39 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
In my opinion, Larian should have implemented respawning enemies. For the people who don't like fighting enemies that you already defeated use shrines or just run. As long as you run away and dont run straight melee and magic won't hit you. Ranged attacks might but you could just use a potion/food. But potions & food cost money, well, kill some monsters that you already killed and it will drop something that you could buy a potion or more from. If I would have known that once you beat the game there isn't much to do anymore aside from new game/achievements/finish side quests I would have waited until this was worth 30-40 off of craigslist.

I'm only into Maxos Temple (that ain't very far into the story) but the game lost some value because of this for me. I like fighting enemies over again when I load the game, its not like its going to take a long time. More loot, more gold, more exp, more levels.

Questions: What is the level cap for this game? And what is your estimate on what level your character would be when he/she finished the main quests and any side quests you've done on the way?

I was really looking forward to the game. It looked like a keeper, but the aspect of no respawning enemies will probably make me play it through once or twice and then sell it off of craigslist. The story seems good so far though.

Chidori #397401 01/01/10 04:21 AM
Support
Support

One of the Larians mentioned a technical level cap around 60, but practically you are only going to reach about level 34 or 35 by the end of the game.

Raze #397403 01/01/10 04:36 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Thanks for the answer. Its for sure a one and done for me. So when was the last rpg to not have respawn or random spawn?

Edit: Was looking at the Mass Effect 2 Collectors Edition at Amazon and then the Dragon Age: Origins Collectors Edition and found out DA:O doesn't respawn any enemies either. Good thing I decided to wait & still waiting for DA:O to drop to 20 dollars or less.

Last edited by Chidori; 01/01/10 05:12 AM.
Chidori #397404 01/01/10 05:40 AM
Support
Support

Neither of Larian's previous games in this series had respawns. There was a resurrect spell you could use in Divine Divinity, though (if you left the area, resurrected creatures would turn hostile, and you could return to kill them again), and in the after-game battlefields for Beyond Divinity you could keep generating new battlefields (which were areas with several merchants and randomly generated dungeons).

Dragon Age: Origins has no respawns, but there is a low(?) chance of a random encounter traveling on the map.

Raze #397412 01/01/10 08:58 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze

Neither of Larian's previous games in this series had respawns. There was a resurrect spell you could use in Divine Divinity, though (if you left the area, resurrected creatures would turn hostile, and you could return to kill them again), and in the after-game battlefields for Beyond Divinity you could keep generating new battlefields (which were areas with several merchants and randomly generated dungeons).

Dragon Age: Origins has no respawns, but there is a low(?) chance of a random encounter traveling on the map.

A rather high chance for an encounter actually almost 1 every journey. Which is kinda nice. Long journeys even 2 sometimes.
As for the 'grinding' bit. When I played D1 and D2 it never was a problem due to the large quantities of mobs. If this is still the case throughout the game I don't mind. It even gives a sense of satisfaction to 'clear all'.
On the other hand it's a shame one cannot transfer a char to a 'high difficulty' to try and reach that virtual levelcap.

Last edited by Darthvegeta800; 01/01/10 09:06 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Another product of MMORPG culture I guess.

I mean, as long as there are enough enemies to help you level adequately, I would much rather kill new mobs in new areas rather than go back to the same area and mobs over and over just to level.

And here I thought grind was supposed to be a bad thing. It's what you are forced to do when a game doesn't provide enough new challenges for you to level on before moving to the next area.

But I guess MMOs have created a new brand of gamer that likes to just mindlessly grind easy stuff in order to progress in the game.

kesayo #398126 04/01/10 09:40 AM
S
S
Infinite monsters do provide a few problems. They are really annoying when backtracking through the game (especially flinching). They also let you get a higher level and more gold, making it easy/easier to defeat bosses and to progress through the game.

The fact is this game is not hack and slash.

Actually, most of your cash and gears do not come from non boss enemies.

Libertarian #398181 04/01/10 01:53 PM
veteran
veteran
I prefer NO respawns!

If I wish to kill more enemies again, I love to start over again from the beginning or from a earlier savegame!

Now I play also Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls (on xbox) and that game has NO respawn ... smile

EdIT:
I have more than enough money and other good loot found in this game! wink

Last edited by Joram; 04/01/10 02:02 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #398189 04/01/10 02:10 PM
old hand
old hand
Your mistaken.
That game they call an RPG Oblivion does have Respawn!

DivineGamer #398194 04/01/10 02:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
Your mistaken.
That game they call an RPG Oblivion does have Respawn!

Sorry, I was "thinking" this because I haven't seen respawn yet .. BUT I'm at the beginning of Oblivion now, so sorry! smirk

By the way, Oblivion looks very nice smile !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
SirChronos #398203 04/01/10 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by SirChronos

The fact is this game is not hack and slash.

This is off subject.....but if this game is no a "hack and slash" game I don't know what one would be........ It's not a Titan Quest,a Sacred,or a Diablo and so on style game..... The game IMO is more of a cross between Baldur's Gate and Assasin's Creed.

"He Who Lives By The Sword Shall Also Perish By The Sword."
LordFess #398267 04/01/10 07:48 PM
U
stranger
stranger
U
Even the Uruk Hai need to be polite and constructive. What would Saruman say? Tsss...

Last edited by Macbeth; 05/01/10 08:19 AM.
shadowdef #398269 04/01/10 08:02 PM
addict
addict
Are you aware that you can make a valid point without constantly dropping the f bomb? It shows a lack of maturity and intelligence when someone can only express their feelings through offensive language.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Libertarian #398275 04/01/10 08:18 PM
old hand
old hand
It's completly understandable that some people want to kill the same enemies over and over, yet if this one aspect of the game can really ruin it for you, you'd better spend a bit more time searching information about the game.

Not all games offer respawns, learn to live with it and don't start whining about how bad the game is cause it doesn't offer respawns.
It's the way the developers wanted it to be, wether you like it or not.

Libertarian #398417 05/01/10 12:42 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
Well there is that one area where you can force respawns near the end even though the xp does eventually reduce to near nothing i hear once you get a few levels above them. Wasn't that enough for you to go and constantly kill over and over and over?

Raze #398545 05/01/10 09:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

One of the Larians mentioned a technical level cap around 60, but practically you are only going to reach about level 34 or 35 by the end of the game.

I did 38 ;P
It is possible ;P

Kein #398592 05/01/10 11:19 PM
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I love the fact that there's no respawning of enemies!
First, it's totally neccesary or the XP debt from mindreading will be totally useless... It puts you in a hard position, makes you not want to waste a mindread.

Then secondly... It's what makes this world more alive than any other world, you kill some mobs for some NPC's and they're actually gone, forever. You go through an area and poof you really 'cleared' the area. Totally awsome to walk through the environment when you got rid of the villains and everything is nice and quite. That gave a great feeling of satisfaction smile
Although I do admit, one mob randomly here and there wouldn't really hurt that much but still overall... I think it's a pleasant thing.

It baffled me at first as well, but there's some unique things in this game that I began to appreciate after a while, I wouldn't go as far as saying they 'reinvented' the genre, but some things are a bit different and some things are somewhat oldskool wink

Chimeray #398622 06/01/10 04:17 AM
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
OP: Just to let you know most western rpgs don't have respawn and my some of my most favorite are among them

guenthar #398661 06/01/10 09:05 AM
journeyman
journeyman
To each his own I suppose, but I absolutely hate respawning the way it is handled in MMOs. It makes your achievements so utterly pointless when an NPC asks you to defeat some evil boss, you go out and wade your way through hordes of enemies to defeat the big bad guy only to find that he's alive and well ten minutes later and you can go back and defeat him again if you want to. It's really bad for my suspension of disbelief -- but then I'm the kind of guy who plays games to be immersed in a world and a story and not to prove myself or to gather huge amounts of loot, XP or whatever. I just don't see the fun in all of that competitive stuff. Sure, I enjoy the sense of pride when I find myself progressing, getting cool skills etc. but that's just a nice extra to me. So I'm very happy about the way it's handled in D2.

Now in Oblivion, the respawning is handled very well, I think. You don't notice it. And I seem to recall that the dead bodies of defeated enemies stay there on the ground. Once you've finished a quest, you've really finished it - it's a living world. The only thing I really wish they had done was rebuilding Kvatch.

Now I feel like playing Oblivion again:)

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard