Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well i have given enough time to this game, the saving glitch is waaay to annoying and the scale level difficulty is waay ahead in the enemies favor.

Example i was a level 6 with the best armor and weapons i could carry, however when approaching Lovis Tower there were level 8 and 9 shaman's and goblins, not to mention the 12 foot troll that kills my character with a mere 2 swipes of his club.

I literally spent over 3 hours trying to gain entrance on both sides of the tower but both enemies beat my character down with ease, and i completed every other quest given to me first, so i made absolutely sure exploring the tower and talking to Lovis was the next step.
However even when the game finally loaded my character in the correct spot the enemies were 2 or 3 levels stronger then my character.
I mean did these developers pay any attention to the details of Oblivion and the near perfect way it was produced and developed, because in my opinion Oblivion is the RPG by which all others should judge themselves.

Make no mistake, i do not give up or whine about a games difficulty ever, i have always played games on there normal difficulty setting, and i have beaten and played through such games like
Gears 1 & 2 on there hardest difficulties, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 4 & 5 and many others, but this game just has the character level scaling all wrong and that coupled with the constant saving glitch...
Well it's just not worth it.

B
BeZ Offline
stranger
stranger
B
Can't say I agree about the Oblivion part. It's is near perfect... After applying 50 mods or so. Including a few that does away with the level scaling and completely rehaul combat mechanics. Damn near impossible to die in the vanilla game. And don't get me started on the itemization laugh

However, I do agree that this game too have some problems in that regard. There's a damage scaling mechanic in place -to prevent us from advancing too fast I guess.

Hovewer, this doesn't work well early on; A Lv2 char is nearly twice as powerful as a Lv1, while a Lv11 is only ~9% stronger compared a Lv10. Add the damage scaling mechanic on top of that, and things get quite hairy when there's a couple of levels difference between the player and the mobs!

There seem to be some XP scaling that's supposed to make things a bit smoother; you get huge amounts of XP for taking out mobs a couple of levels above you, and nearly nothing if the opposite is true. But what good does that do if you just can't take 'em on ^^

Lategame is also a problem, but then it's the other way around. Mobs that are about five levels below you can't damage you at all. Makes for boring gameplay if you're one of those who just *have* to do everything -and thus'll be 2-6 levels ahead from late mid-game and forward.

As for your specific issue, Lv6 is rather early for the tower. I've been 7-9 when starting to work on that one. Tried exploring a bit past the tower first, on both sides? The game does get better around Lv10-11, and is, imo 'course, quite enjoyable.

As for the save/load bug, is that a XB360 exlusive problem? Or have I just been lucky...

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I totally agree, this game is far to glitchy. I just want my dragon and I'm going to stop playing.

Heres some other things:
1. Graphics- not at all revolutionary, quite the opposite, if your going to have a hard game, you should at least give us good graphics.
2. Glitchy equipment- I can't wear somethings that I should be allowed to wear.

Wow, I just load again and it glitched.

This seriously needs to be fixed or they are going down on my list of good games.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Talking about Oblivion or fallout 3 you REALY need to talk about what mods you want to include, because especialy in oblivion case, the game ranges from good up to near-perfect depending on the mods you install and how you set it up.

D2 ofc doesnt have that amount of modding yet since its too new (even though there's already an HD texture pack around)

About the glitches, larian already promissed a patch soon for those. Don't forget that for example the Gothic series was almoust impossible to play in the beggining, and after a couple patches (official and community) the game is now on the all-round classics of a lot of people, same with Vampire:Bloodlines, etc (just to mention some RPG old classics).

stranger
stranger
I hope there's a patch for the 360 version because I've also had TONS of glitches with saving/loads from loading a save and being forced to start in the area that first loaded upon starting the game, to loading a save just after a death and having it load a red death screen instantly and freezing up. I have to go back to the dashboard and restart the game for that one. The difficulty is insane on this game too. I'm finally lv. 11 but that took me two days. In most RPG's you get up to the teens within say 6 hours but then it takes forever to advance further. Not this one this one takes 2 days to get to 11! lol. But I do love this game it reminds me of drakken:The ancients gate another dragon RPG from the PS2 gen. Although honestly the graphics for divinity 2 aren't much better than drakken and that was a game made closer to 2000.

Sometimes your most beautiful dreams devour your soul sending you to dark planes infernal.
journeyman
journeyman
I did enough quests and found enough enemies to kill that I was either level 9 or 10 before I did Lovis' Tower. Got through it pretty smoothly at that level. Just explore the world. There are plenty of places outside of quest areas to find enemies for leveling. I love the fact that there is no level scaling. Finding a high level enemy, running away and then coming back in a few levels to stomp him is pretty satisfying. I've experienced no glitches with the PC version. Looks like I made the right choice. laugh

old hand
old hand
Ewww...
Level Scaling.
Carry on playing that watered down Oblivion please if you want that.

The games suddenly out in the US.
Guess what thats when the complaints come in smirk

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
Ewww...
Level Scaling.

On top of that most complaints will come from players who have either:

a) Played the game for like 1 hour.
b) Only played the demo.
c) A mix of both the above.

Sure it may be a love it or hate it game but some people don't even give it a chance. I straight away dismiss any opinion that comes from playing the demo only.

What I'm finding most amusing is the amount of complaints about bugs that I have never experienced. Maybe Larian loves the EU more after all.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 02/01/10 11:53 AM.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Michael DAmico

Example i was a level 6 with the best armor and weapons i could carry, however when approaching Lovis Tower there were level 8 and 9 shaman's and goblins, not to mention the 12 foot troll that kills my character with a mere 2 swipes of his club.

I was lv 8, and i killed the troll by throwing fireballs and kiting him around the tree ^.^
This is how ive done most fights tough-.- kiting ftw ^^

-------
You don't know what you got, Till it's gone.
-------
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Ewww...
Level Scaling.

b) Only played the demo.

Sure it may be a love it or hate it game but some people don't even give it a chance. I straight away dismiss any opinion that comes from playing the demo only.

What I'm finding most amusing is the amount of complaints about bugs that I have never experienced. Maybe Larian loves the EU more after all.

Thats what I'm talking about! groovy
Thanks Larian for creating a good game so far from what I've played rpg005

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Ewww...
Level Scaling.

b) Only played the demo.

Thats what I'm talking about! groovy
Thanks Larian for creating a good game so far from what I've played rpg005

Indeed. Though I do feel for those who are experiencing geniuine bugs. Have patience and hold in their folks. Remember it is the christmas holidays and if they do have any staff on working it's hardly going to be a huge amount.

old hand
old hand
Ewww...

Every official game forum is flooded with people having problems with the game and claiming it's the 'buggiest game ever', really.

Last edited by virumor; 02/01/10 01:49 PM.
B
BeZ Offline
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by KnightPT

D2 ofc doesnt have that amount of modding yet since its too new (even though there's already an HD texture pack around)

The one by MasterOfDarkness? Thanks for mentioning it! Wasn't aware something like this existed yet -what a difference it made!
Doesn't impact performance as far as I can see either. Just fantastic!

Originally Posted by KnightPT

...the game is now on the all-round classics of a lot of people, same with Vampire:Bloodlines, etc (just to mention some RPG old classics).

Ah yes, Bloodlines. Probably one of the best RPG's around, despite all the problems it had. Up there with fallout and Divinity1 imo. Gotta do a re-run someday soon : )

Felt the need to post this here as well, huh? Unfortunately, I think you will find that you will be in the minority here even more so than you were over in System Wars. hahaha At any rate, sorry Divinity II did not work out for you. I am loving it, myself.

B
BeZ Offline
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by ironcreed
Felt the need to post this here as well, huh?

Er. That wasn't for me, right? I'm having quite a good time with this game, despite some rough edges and problems here and there. As for system wars, never played it :hihi:

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I think this game is based more on strategy, you need to figure out a good plan, like firewall for a bunch of monsters and then go after the main guys like Sassan or that demon dude.

I like this game, I played up to the point where you fight Laiken and won got my form. Has anyone noticed that you don't die from jump off cliffs and stuff? I don't think I can die but I'll test it lol.

The save feature guys is only on the game and you don't notice until you play up to let say, the Ambudias part. It might be another part of their campaign to make you plan before going in. I don't know.

How many of you used a guide for this thing?

BTW, I wouldn't say that about the game suddenly coming out in the US, if someone notices that this could be turned into a big fight. I live in the USA, please refrain from saying those things.

Last edited by JoJoMac; 02/01/10 05:25 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Well, I haven't had problems with the save glitch so far, albeit I have heard many people complaining about it. Nonetheless, the Troll did give me some trouble, but it was not impossible to kill it. I used a warrior, probably died like thrice to get it killed, but as long as you bring a few potions and jump/roll to dodge his VERY slow attacks, you'll do just fine. Really, just hit twice, wait for him to begin swinging his club and jump backwards or sideways, shouldn't be much of a problem with the DK Jump. If you believe that you aren't ready, go back, hunt down some goblins and look for some quests that you possibly missed.

Level scaling is a little lame, makes the game way too easy, I believe. Oblivion is a fine game, though it is far from the perfect game that you mentioned, and it is not quite the same thing as Divinity 2. I believe this game is good as it is, it just needs some patching to deal with a few glitches. And this game is not all about going there and clicking on your enemies until they're dead, sometimes you have to be quick, jump, dodge, use some sort of strategy. Unless the level difference between you and your enemy is absurd, there is always a way to win the fight, or you could just avoid it to come back later when you believe that you are ready for it.

addict
addict
Felt the need to post this here as well, huh? Unfortunately, I think you will find that you will be in the minority here even more so than you were over in System Wars. hahaha At any rate, sorry Divinity II did not work out for you. I am loving it, myself.

hahaha I think we're the only 2 people that noticed this.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Originally Posted by Libertarian

hahaha I think we're the only 2 people that noticed this.

Yep, by the looks of things, we may be the only System Warriors here, lol.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Whats going on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard