Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JoJoMac
If they want to compete with Dragon Age, they need better graphics. Can they make a patch that deals with this? I really think if they could upgrade the graphics this game would be more of a hit, right now it is mostly people who find it and like the idea get it. Not like Dragon Age where you can see everything clearly and things look good even out of the cut scenes.

Umm.. lol?
I thought it is pretty obvious that D2 gfx is much better.
Hm... I guess you need a new display since you didn't notice such obvious thing. LCD one with good matrix and fov.

Support
Support

There is a third party texture mod for the PC version of D2:ED, if you don't mind the download size (1GB).

J
JoJoMac Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
I have an xbox 360, computer is never good enough for these games. So can I put the quality up a little bit?

J
JoJoMac Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
I haven't change it and I have a fujitsu plasmavision. Maybe I just need to put it to high quality? Or do change the HD setting.

Last edited by JoJoMac; 02/01/10 09:17 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
DAO has better graphics in my opinion, but D2 graphics aren't so bad that it ruines the experience for me. When I play a game, the graphics do have to be above a certain threshold for me to enjoy it. But as long as it's above that threshold, whether or not it's better or worse than other games really doesn't bother me as much.

D2 and DAO are both well above threshold for me.
But right now I'm enjoying D2 way more than DAO because it's much less linear and has true 3 dimensional freedom of movement. In my opinion, that more than makes up for the graphics.

Edit: also the armor in DAO is some of the ugliest I've seen.

Last edited by kesayo; 02/01/10 09:24 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
When I played the demo, the second I was plonked down in the game world my immediate reaction was "Wow these graphics are TERRIBLE! I must have the game set up incorrectly"

However after setting everything to high, largest res I can support etc, it made no difference. The game was fun, and I finished it, but there was always the nagging voice in my head whinging about the off putting graphics... Why was this? So I looked again....

- The color palette is uniformly dull, green and brown, and brown. Your armor throughout the game will always be brown
- No anti-aliasing, or anti-aliasing turning itself off after it is set up. My main character "sparkles" as they animate at rest due to jagged model edges, and the self shadowing looks like a stairway. As you walk towards complex items, like barrels,, they sparkle like a Christmas tree
- Plants (Small, bushes) self shadow/shadow TERRIBLY with light and dark patches in incorrect places. Their parts billboard individually so as you move past them they swivel oddly. Also textures are too low res.
- Plants (tiny, grass) does not have any shadows or shading, (or rather bad shading) so looks unnatural, also animates too fast
- Plants (Large, Trees) Leaf textures are too small, add anti-aliasing issues and they look terribly ragged. Trunks are ok. Just the leaves (They also billboard badly)
- very low view distance and close fogging washes out anything a small distance away from the avatar, making the dull colors duller.

Each of these issues your mind will subconsciously pick up as "wrong" even if you don't think you notice it. Overall, it gives a poor impression.

The textures otherwise are very detailed (armor, items in game, walls and rocks.)
Some of the nicest areas (IMHO) are in the later part of the game, the dungeons filled with greenery, the extra color and better lighting helps a lot there

Last edited by Fashtas; 02/01/10 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
J
JoJoMac Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
How do I make the resolution better? I do agree, graphics are important to me, but it doesn't ruin the game.

Last edited by JoJoMac; 02/01/10 09:48 PM.
stranger
stranger
My statement of comparison to drakken while definitely far from true I'll even admit did cause reminiscing from the days of playing Drakken which is what made me state such a thing. The graphics of this game are far from anything I'd care to purchase for more than $30.00 but it is a great game story wise and I do like the scenery and such regardless of the graphics. I just don't think they are in any way revolutionary. I'm playing on a 360 and more often than not even when a game was first made for the pc and then ported over the 360 would have better graphics. But no I'm not a graphics whore this is just a THREAD ABOUT THE GRAPHICS. So those of you complaining about us complaining about the graphics need to get your panties out of a bunch and go to another thread. You don't need to argue how great the story and such is and that that makes it worth it regardless of graphics. This is just a thread about graphics(hello read the thread title).

Sometimes your most beautiful dreams devour your soul sending you to dark planes infernal.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by darlok86
You don't need to argue how great the story and such is and that that makes it worth it regardless of graphics.

People aren't arguing this. They're arguing that it isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

There's two sides to every coin so if you don't want to see the other side don't flip it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by darlok86
I'm playing on a 360 and more often than not even when a game was first made for the pc and then ported over the 360 would have better graphics. .

Since when.
PC games ported to Xbox 360.
Always have the worst graphics.
PC Versions will always have better regardless If its a port.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
Since when.
PC games ported to Xbox 360.
Always have the worst graphics.
PC Versions will always have better regardless If its a port.

Yeah, I have yet to see a PC game ported to Xbox 360 that looks better than the PC game using high res textures.

addict
addict
If you wanted better graphics, then you shouldn't be buying a game on 5 year old fixed hardware (ie: Xbox 360).

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Libertarian
If you wanted better graphics, then you shouldn't be buying a game on 5 year old fixed hardware (ie: Xbox 360).

Got to agree here. The Xbox 360 is pretty dated now, which is usual for consoles anyway.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Originally Posted by Libertarian

Got to agree here. The Xbox 360 is pretty dated now, which is usual for consoles anyway.

Yup, I love the Xbox 360 and its games, but it's getting older hardware wise. I still think the games look nice generally (Alan Wake looks freaking phenomenal), but I'm not a huge graphics whore. They're an added bonus, imo.

Last edited by Libertarian; 02/01/10 11:38 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
apprentice
apprentice
The xbox 360 might be old hardware, but it's still quite capable of delivering some great graphics. Take Fallout 3 for example (uses Gamebryo same engine as D2), which I found absolutely amazing (art style, graphics I mean, other than the game itself) and runs really well on the 360. Borderlands is another example of a great looking 360 game (although I'm sure some would disagree) and it proves that consoles despite their age, have a few years left yet.

But yeah, there has been some harsh statements made as to how Divinity 2 looks. Although nothing mind blowing, I think people tend to exaggerate. I actually really enjoy D2's art style and if the engine were polished and some textures fleshed out, it has the potential to look amazing.

stranger
stranger
I have no patience for "flashy graphics" if they have no style. Take Morrowind: I would rather explore Vvardenfell than Cyrodiil. Why? Because Vvardenfell was created with style.

My opinion is that Divinity 2's graphics are better than Dragon Age's graphics. But I also think that both games have graphics that are perfectly acceptable.

When all is said and done I will play an interesting game before I play a graphically advanced game.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't think the graphics are top notch but i still think they have done a good job with D2. I think that it's quite beautiful. I can't really beat the graphics down because the game play is wonderful. I have an artistic eye and I see great beauty in D2. The feel of true fantasy really shines through in my POV.

Let us swim in this sea of fire, and hope that the demons of doubt do not drown us.

xbox360 GamerTag- Bazomanda
journeyman
journeyman
I play on 360 and I agree that the design is great while the technical aspects (aliasing etc.) are somewhat lacking when it comes to perfect presentation, but on the other hand, movement is very fluent in this game. It never feels cumbersome, you can easily run around in large areas and never have the screen pause to show a "Loading Area..." like in so many games. On the down side, you get these dividing horizontal lines in the screen when moving around quickly... I don't know what the technical term is for those, isn't it "tearing" or "tracking" or something like that?

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
enthusiast
enthusiast
It's called screen tearing.

W
stranger
stranger
W
On the PC it's beautiful.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard