Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
And it's called div2.

It's so easy to pour hours upon hours into this game without even knowing it. I've had to set my mind to make sure I check the clock every once in a while so I don't miss my actual life. I'm not one to game for longer than an hour a day, but Divinity II and Torchlight broke that. Where do I get a cure for this? And do I actually want it?

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
journeyman
journeyman
I agree. The game is very addicting. Especially the exploration aspect of it. I spent quite a few hours both yesterday and today playing.

I hate to say it, but as much as I love Dragon Age, I am finding Divinity II to be more fun...and Dragon Age was my GOTY. Sure, DA has higher quality production value and all that jazz, but I cannot deny that over the past couple of days I have realized I am enjoying this game more.

I thought about it tonight and it really dawned on me just how many things I think make Divinity II a better game at it's core. You are not limited to the skills of one class, no micromanaging a party, you can turn into a Dragon and fly, you can swim, it is open world, the side quests are not tacked on and are pretty much mandatory, the world feels more alive, a far better sense of adventure due to the fact that you have to explore, less hand holding, a greater sense of reward for leveling up, the music is better, ect.

A lot of that is subjective of course, but that is simply how I feel now that I have spent signifigant time with the game. Divinity II may lack the polish and production value, but at it's core, I simply think it is a better RPG. I still love Dragon Age to death, though, and it definitely wins on the production front.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I have to agree, it is fun. But once you get your dragon form, it takes away the excitement. Once you get your 1/4 of the way done. I think 1/8 would have been better. Also, in all games they need to have more than 5 monster types. DA and Divinity 2 have about 5. Divinity 2 may have less.

I liked DA for the party you can have but I must say if you could fly, that would be awesome.

apprentice
apprentice
This game is the most addictive RPG i have ever played smile The gameplay is wonderful and the maps are most enjoyable. Just wish there wasn't a forced ending. It's a taxing game...but fun! no enemy respawns means you have to WORK for your EXP and all the side missions give you plenty to do if you want to explore and hold off the main objective. I can honestly say i'm addicted and i don't want to stop playing. True the graphics could use a little work but all in all, it's a great game and a fantasy world i love to lose myself in. If i could be sucked into a game, i would choose this one.

Let us swim in this sea of fire, and hope that the demons of doubt do not drown us.

xbox360 GamerTag- Bazomanda
addict
OP Offline
addict
I agree with almost everything said. Man, when I first raided the battle tower to find Lovis and the Battle Tower music kicked in, I was pumped. Same when you first get to transform into a dragon. This game offers so much compelling content.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
The default Battle Tower music is cool.
It's like Darth Vader as entered the building, composed in that same style adding a very strong presents of importance of you being there and of being a Dragon knight.

I also like tune 3 the guy can play. Mellow tune that suites the theme of now being in control, until you leave your Tower haha! smirk

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
I
stranger
stranger
I
There is also a tune that reminds me of the main theme of Ultima 7 the Black Gate.
hehe

Great work you made Larian.
Really!
Thanks for making it!

to "Dungeon Master":
This fountain accepts one coin! hehe

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JoJoMac
I have to agree, it is fun. But once you get your dragon form, it takes away the excitement. Once you get your 1/4 of the way done. I think 1/8 would have been better. Also, in all games they need to have more than 5 monster types. DA and Divinity 2 have about 5. Divinity 2 may have less.

I liked DA for the party you can have but I must say if you could fly, that would be awesome.

I certainly agree that D2 needs a few more monster types. I am sick to death of fighting the waves of imps in the Fjords. Where are my favorites...the giant spiders? laugh

I also agree about the game losing some of the excitement level after getting Dragon form. I had a blast exploring Broken Valley but it's not as fun in the Fjords. Now it's either follow a narrow path along the ground or fly around, land on ledges and maybe go into a cave or fortress area.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I agree. I've been pleasantly surprised by this game because I really wasn't expecting much (wasn't a huge fan of Divine Divinity). I bought this and Dragon Age at the same time, but this one has been holding my attention. Dragon Age is ok, but it didn't really meet my expectations while D2 exceeded them.

I played Torchlight for a bit and didn't really get into it. But I've never really been a fan of the endless randomly generated dungeon RPGs.

The only thing that has disappointed me so far is dragon form.
There isn't enough of a link between when you are in dragon form and normal form. It's like you're playing a different game. For example, you can't see any of the monsters on the ground in dragon form and you can't see any of the flying monsters in normal form.
It's a cool idea though. I hope they expand on it in the sequel.
Personally, I would like ride a dragon instead of be a dragon next time. Or grow wings but keep my normal body. Sort of like Aion or Perfect World.

Last edited by kesayo; 04/01/10 02:02 AM.
Originally Posted by IlTimido
to "Dungeon Master":
This fountain accepts one coin! hehe

Let me setup a PayPal account (not) haha!

Showing our true age. I was surprised DM was available, first thing that came to mind RPG wise as it's a classic. Still have them all for Amiga, even DM2 tho I have not played them in many a year. Crystal Dragon was another one I enjoyed, but that was very hard and I never completed it. frown

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
old hand
old hand
This game just has the perfect combination of great art direction, witty dialogue & music that really creates a wonderful atmosphere which totally brings the world to life.

Dragon Age feels very bland in comparison.

Hmmm,I didn't think this was going to be another D2-ED / DA:O comparrison thread....I really can't say one is more addicting than the other ....Cuz I have allready put more than a hunderd hours into DA:O and I am only about half way through it. IMO there is no bland about DA:O or D2-ED period.

Coming from a purely fun factor aspect D2-ED does give DA:O a good run for it's money...... Although the music that I have experienced so far in D2-ED IMO is one of the games low points ( to me it's kind of repetively annoying) although I have not gotten to the Battle Tower yet...... Several times I have thought about turning it completely off but just decided to turn it down.....

Last edited by LordFess; 04/01/10 09:39 PM.

"He Who Lives By The Sword Shall Also Perish By The Sword."

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard