Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
yep exacly arrows will chase u anyware u go heat seeking or whatever rotfl
u can dodge any magic easy ( maye ius harder to dodge magic misles but is still posible) but u never ever dodge arrows u cna hide over trees rocks whatever but no way to dodge it on open field

Last edited by marcusdavidus; 08/01/10 10:37 PM.

stranger
stranger
Guess I'd better beef up my Ranged Resistance then. smile

old hand
old hand
Ranged resistance doesn't help a bit when 4 rangers hit you with explosive arrows. Only chance is returning 5 levels later. :P

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
virumor hmm where a hell u find mobs that shoot explosives? i finish game 2 times and never find such mobs .. hmm strange things are with all this diferent patch/lang versions rly freeking strange
diferences

old hand
old hand
Bandit cave in Orobas fjords has 3-4 rangers in first area that use explosive arrows.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
they dont use that on me onyl freeking stunn spam that is rly evill they make 0 damage to me but whole fight is 10 times longer that it can be if they dont stunn u non stop

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Zomgnome
If any dev reads it, I know its not a bug, but it dosent make sense. Ranged Magic can follow me, thats understandable, but arrows? It makes dodging and jumping very useless for a ranger, you just stand on your spot and "trade" arrows with ur ranged enemy.

From a design perspective it actually makes a lot of sense. Bear in mind that most crpg's start out as turn-based scenarios where "dodging" is a numerical stat based more around a combination of dexterity and chance rather than timing. For all its appearances as a real-time game, it still utilizes a random number generator with stat modifiers for determining to-hit and damage. It looks corny, I know, but from a design perspective it makes sense. Otherwise they'd have to change the entire battle system to utilize model collision detection in real-time on top of a random number generator to determine to-hit and damage, which is certainly doable as an early design decision but not something I can see being a simple "fix."

If they did, though, then there's no reason why they couldn't remove a ranger's inability to keep moving while firing. Coming from playing a Ranger in Aion, this was a bit jarring to me at first when my usual approach wasn't working cuz my idiot character would stand in place while shooting. For all that "training" the player characters go through, multitasking wasn't high on the list of priorities, since a ranger should be perfectly capable of firing a bow while moving around, even if it applies a significant penalty to to-hit for doing so. I'd happily take a hit to my character's to-hit if it meant I wasn't a sitting duck every time I'd want to fire back.

Z
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
I don't think it would be hard for them to make dodging mechanics for arrows possible, since its already implanted with magical abilities. Besides this is an action rpg and not a turn based one... However I do agree about not being able to shot arrows while running/ moving, but it is sensible design choice and a realistic one if you'll think about it. The main problem with following arrows is that they stun.

D2 combat is usually you against many opponents (4-6?), while it is pretty fast and easy to get one of their hp bars to 0, they also do quite a lot of damdge on you since they are a group, so if your stunned from arrows you might lose hp very fast before you kill them. In some areas with strong opponents you can die just as fast as you can kill them...

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
pyrion wtf ur talking aboute : i CAN DODGE MAGIC misles but i CANNOT dodge BOW ARROWS this make totally no sense at all i agree that dodge magic can be hard cuz hmm this is magic but arrows ?
some kind of magic bullet teory ? maybe JFK die to D2 magic homing ARROW? this arrows make no sense at all

D
stranger
stranger
D
The dude in the hall of echoes, the one that you have to force out of dragonform. he used explosive arrows onme too. worse. his did 500 damage. he one shotted me, 7 times in a row. before, by sheer luck, he DIDNT cast explosive arrow on me, and drew his melee weapon instead

old hand
old hand
He should shoot your creature if you've summoned it. Making the battle easy.

D
stranger
stranger
D
int he hall of echoes... BEFORE you have the battle tower

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
In the hall of echoes before you have the battle tower? Ooh, sounds like someone went Sequence Breaking!

...and just how the hell did you manage that?

D
stranger
stranger
D
er wait... Whatever the temple is you go to so that you do the dragon trial things. you know, where you have to do that ritual to turn the dragon dude back into a human and kill him

Z
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Oh thats Maxos tower then... But what your talking about is just another issue this game has, its easy to die just as its easy to kill, I had many situations in which I could be dead after 5-6 sec unless I hide, come close to the enemies, and use some op magic spell (think it was called Inferno), even thou I was actually a warrior build...

old hand
old hand
Not all magic spells can be dodge, as well as not all enemy ranger using arrows. From what I saw, only human and skeleton rangers are using arrow as range attack which is close to impossible to dodge. You might get the arrow miss if you are right just beside a huge rock where you take cover behind the obstacles. As for magic, I found magic blast guarantee hit my toon, as well as some fireball alike spell from goblin which have homing capabilities too. The spell is very noticeable as its hell lot faster compare to goblin mage usually range attack.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Five to six seconds? Lemme tell you about my first death. I was playing a Ranger and I got bumrushed by four drunk Seekers in a barroom brawl that lasted half a second (one of them rolled a 20 on his FIRST HIT D:<), not long enough for the script to bring in the Seekers' commander to stop the fight and save my sorry ass from triggering. Now, I'm not familiar with the battle system they use in this game and I frankly don't care, but if they utilized some sort of standard battle system that made a lick of sense, they'd at very least have circumstance penalties applied for being completely plastered, and therefore unable to hit the broad side of a barn even if they were standing inside of it.

That, right there, seems to me like a circumstance that justifies complaining about a broken battle system. Why do arrows follow you? Auto-targeting. It's why you don't have to actually AIM. It's assumed by the battle system that you've got perfect aim, and barring anything getting in the way of your shot, it's going to hit. Even if your target sidesteps, autotargeting will make the shot hit no matter what (try firing arrows at evading wyverns for an example of just how utterly absurd an extreme this can be taken to).

I'd say the only way you will be able to avoid getting hit by an arrow is to put something between you and the arrow in the fraction of a second between the arrow being fired and the arrow hitting you. It's much easier with magic missiles cuz, obviously, they travel a lot slower. Arrows, in this context, are the medieval equivalent of bullets, so chances are you will NOT be dodging them anytime soon.

Z
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Arrows might travel fast (ofc much much slower then a bullet), but they are not fired fast. Dodging arrows is a very sensible request. Even thou that part almost killed me as where (ganked by the seekers), I didn't expect to win them anyway, its still 3 (or 4?) seekers which are supposed to be quite a strong group on one "new" dragon slayer (with no experience), so I just ran around the bar till the commander showed up..

How would you like it if your arrows travelled straight and you had to manually shoot people? That's hard.

Z
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Chrol
How would you like it if your arrows travelled straight and you had to manually shoot people? That's hard.
Oh, you mean, like I do when I play Risen...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard