Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Parogar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I really hope that due to the poor reviews, future games are not created drastically different. Am I the only one who loved Divinity II EXACTLY the way it is. I mean, I LIKE games that start you off weaker than a mice, and let you progress to near infinite power!!

I also loved risen, which a lot of people hated as well. These kinds of games are the only ones I can sit through for more than a few hours.

This game is great.

addict
addict
Yup, I love games like Divinity II, Risen, Gothic, Drakensang, etc.

Such addictive gameplay. And I love the exploring. Leveling, looting, etc. A nice challenge.

Last edited by Libertarian; 16/01/10 11:07 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
addict
addict
Count me too
Though I am not really fan of these action RPGs,I like to play them to relaxe a little.

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Fan of Risen and Divinity II here.

offtopic
If you fancy something a little retro but a lot of fun, (in the right hands of course) have a look at Dungeon Adventure - 360 indie game. rpg001

Last edited by Dungeon Master; 17/01/10 01:41 AM.

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
apprentice
apprentice
So Risen is recommended? It seems to have received a lackluster review. Although I selected to play D2 even though I found poor reviews for it (yet gamers gave it much better reviews).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kensei
So Risen is recommended? It seems to have received a lackluster review. Although I selected to play D2 even though I found poor reviews for it (yet gamers gave it much better reviews).

Risen on PC received good marks. I'd still recommend the 360 version if that's your only choice, though. A very good and atmospheric RPG in the vein of Gothic II. And it offers a very rewarding challenge like Divinity II.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
apprentice
apprentice
I haven't touched a Gothic since the first one. It was pretty slick, I seem to recall a nice openness to it and interesting NPCs.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Parogar
I mean, I LIKE games that start you off weaker than a mice, and let you progress to near infinite power!!

Only to rub it in your face at the end that all that work was for nothing.

stranger
stranger
I could do with fewer quest bugs, wizards who don't wear pjs with stars on them, and AA.

old hand
old hand
Many like to judge game by graphics, ending and etc. To me Risen ending is indeed bit suck, but the game is really addictive with its gameplay. I like idea of blocking and countering, where it really testing one reflexes. Too bad D2 had no blocking features like risen. But overall D2 is still a good game suit to my taste.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Libertarian
Yup, I love games like Divinity II, Risen, Gothic, Drakensang, etc.

Such addictive gameplay. And I love the exploring. Leveling, looting, etc. A nice challenge.

I did not play Risen, Gothic or Drakensang yet, but I agree:

I love the exploring, leveling, looting, etc too ! grin
And of course the quests, mindreading and music too!! A very addictive game!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
apprentice
Great game. Hell, I wouldn't even change the ending, although I've seen numerous complaints about it.

Got Risen ordered for the 360 as well, many people who've played D2 recommend it.

T
stranger
stranger
T
"So Risen is recommended? It seems to have received a lackluster review. Although I selected to play D2 even though I found poor reviews for it (yet gamers gave it much better reviews). "

Check out the RPGWatch review for some more details about why it is a pretty good game despite some flaws.

"I haven't touched a Gothic since the first one. It was pretty slick, I seem to recall a nice openness to it and interesting NPCs. "

Gothic 2 - especially with the Night of the Raven expansion - is one of the best RPGs of the past decade.

I also enjoy Drakensang quite a bit, and this Divinity 2 is a nice follow up that is solid but not (IMO) up to the level of the original.

One thing - these guys (Risen, Divinity 2) either need to figure out how to do console games or just STOP ... because what they *are* releasing is giving the overall games bad names and really poisoning the well.

old hand
old hand
Basically I dont bother much on reviews. Humans are basically bias and you cant expect the reviewers to like every genre/ type of game. I usually just get the demo and try the game out. If I find the game attractive, well then I get it. And there nothing perfect nor a perfect game. Even if its having a bad ending, as long as I enjoy the game from start till end, that more than enough. After all its just a game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ACSS
Basically I dont bother much on reviews. Humans are basically bias and you cant expect the reviewers to like every genre/ type of game. I usually just get the demo and try the game out. If I find the game attractive, well then I get it. And there nothing perfect nor a perfect game. Even if its having a bad ending, as long as I enjoy the game from start till end, that more than enough. After all its just a game.

That's how I am. If I find a game interesting or a demo fun and interesting, then I'll get it, even if it's not the greatest, because it has something that interests me from either a gameplay or narrative perspective, or both.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
It seems that European RPGs have a somewhat different flavor. I personally like them - the exception to that rule would be Gothic 1. The game interface was just too awkward and it rendered the game unplayable. Unfortunately, European games also seem to have more than their fair share of bugs. Perhaps the companies involved can not afford as extensive a QA effort as some of the software giants. My friends give me a hard time for putting up with these games but I think they are well worth it.

Bob

old hand
old hand
It seems even companies that can afford extensive QA, spend more time on hiring celebrity voice actors & hyping the game than actual QA... look at Dragon Age & its cheesy trailers, and now the whole fuzz about Mass Effect 2.

journeyman
journeyman
Thanks for the recommendation of Risen. I'll judge it myself....downloading demo now.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Pyrion
Originally Posted by Parogar
I mean, I LIKE games that start you off weaker than a mice, and let you progress to near infinite power!!

Only to rub it in your face at the end that all that work was for nothing.

To bad all that great gameplay/entertainment you consider "work" and not "fun" as most gamers buy and play games for. :-(

I enjoyred the game and thought the ending was fine and even if the ending ended up with "Mario" jumping off a mushroom I would still have had fun playing the game.

journeyman
journeyman
Great game, like the ending now that it is not actually the ending.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard