Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Support
Support

The game was originally designed to allow the dragon form to attack ground opponents, but it required too much memory and had too much of a frame rate hit; see Lar's post in the topic Design ideas for Divinity 3 (mostly for Larian).

apprentice
apprentice
yea, I'll bet that would cause a lot of shuddering. I feel that this would take away from the game play as well......to be able to take out regiments with fire breath with hardly any face to face confrontations. although, when I was in dragon form and was searching around the fortresses, i could swear that i could see ground troops in my peripherals {the corner of my "eyes"}. I was able to find the places that i didn't clear yet. most of the time though, if I found stuff that was junk, I would leave it there as a "marker"....ie....the glowing money bag. we just have to take the game for what it is, and use the tool we are given to manipulate the game play.

addict
addict
Once or twice I found a glitch where I could hit an enemy on the ground with firebreath right after transforming. I think it was goblin charlie.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by born2beagator
Once or twice I found a glitch where I could hit an enemy on the ground with firebreath right after transforming. I think it was goblin charlie.

I think if you've already engaged someone (or something) in combat, it tends to allow it to continue after transforming. It works both ways, however, and it means you can get hit with some serious unpleasantness after changing into human form!

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vometia

I think if you've already engaged someone (or something) in combat, it tends to allow it to continue after transforming. It works both ways, however, and it means you can get hit with some serious unpleasantness after changing into human form!

Tried it on a replay today, only lets me hit goblin Charlie, everyone else can't be hit.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
horrible idea with dragon form taking out ground units, why? one easy common sense answer: OP

what i rather want to see is blinking red unit on the radar to indicate moving ground unit so i won't land in an ambush like the Stone Fortress lol.

Another thing i wanna add is Dragon form should strike panic around those i fly over. Reducing their dmg and defense for 15 sec hehe

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Tried it on a replay today, only lets me hit goblin Charlie, everyone else can't be hit.

It may just be random, then: it's happened with me a handful of times, I'd assumed that combat might've been the common factor. Perhaps not.

It's certainly happened more often when changing from a dragon into a human and finding myself struck (and frequently killed) by missiles and other nasties, though!

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Condor
horrible idea with dragon form taking out ground units, why? one easy common sense answer: OP

what i rather want to see is blinking red unit on the radar to indicate moving ground unit so i won't land in an ambush like the Stone Fortress lol.

Another thing i wanna add is Dragon form should strike panic around those i fly over. Reducing their dmg and defense for 15 sec hehe

Yeah I used the goblin charlie glitch and it did about 5 damage every half second with firebreath laugh

I think I've seen something on that theme in the Treasure Vault of the Developer's Cut edition. There should be a "making of" sorta movie (there are 5, can't remember which one that is), where the developers explain, why they did cut off the ground combat from the dragon form, it was originally intended that the dragon would be able to approach enemies on the ground. It was changed for a reason. Yes, mainly that the dragon would be OP for them, but I think it was originally meant for some boss fights as well. There's still a boss fight in the dragon form when you fight Zagon, but this (optional) boss is a flying creature, not exactly what qualifies as a ground fight.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
My guess would be that it would be too easy to kill those who can't hurt you so bad for game balance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard