Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am making a new account all together and am wondering what is the best build that i can use
I dont mind playing fighting ranged or magic just as long as i can surive mob fights and bosses.
(Like the flying dragon in the cave at bottom of maxos temple)

couold someone please tell me where to spend my skill points per level: so like...

Lvl 1 - magic missiles
lvl 2 - poison arows ...........and so on.
lvl 3 -
lvl 4 -

I am pretty clue less at leveling in the game. i run arround fighting everything i can see that is arround my level hoping to get more exp.

also mabey someone could help me with my Ranger.

I am in the middle of fighting the boss in maxos temple who you change back into human from from dragon form. i am level 14 when i verse him and he is level 13 yet he still ganks me in like 2 seconds. i am kinda a whole ranger build except i have summon undead rank 1 i think. i run so i can see him and use stun arrow, then poison arrow but he has like exploding arrow and some other one that ganks me. when i fight him, when i get to low health i tru yse poitions but he kill sme too fast. i enen have the gamne on low diffictualty during this encounter. is it easier to use melee or is he harder that way. during the cut scene hs has this massive sword on his back. so i tried not to get to close to let him use it on me.

it would be grate if someone helped me with nthis problem =D

D
D
Well use your creatures if you can to distract him. If your this far in the game you must have the necromancy creature as well as your summon undead. The undead will not last long but will give you maybe 3 seconds of distraction.
Get in close and make him draw his sword, then you can back off and he supposedly does not switch back to his bow. I played as a ranger but for him I got in close and dual wielded him into mulch with the help of my necromantic creature and also I had a level 1 or 2 demon summoned. They will help greatly in boss or harder fights as they get in close and force the NPC to draw melee weapons or at least distract and you can just hang back and pluck away with your bow. That's how I worked my ranger character at least.

You can also use that hump in the bridge to your advantage as he just mainly stands in one spot or at least he did for me, maybe because my creatures had him pinned down. Wait till he shoots pop up from behind the hump and take a shot while he's reloading, duck back down and repeat if you want to go for a straight ranger kill on him.

As for skills I did not use any of the ranger skills as my bow was deadly enough with 3 enchantments and 2 charms. Time I'd look down and find the right key on my keyboard I could have the character dead already by regular bow shots.
I did put my ranger strength up to 5 or even more though as that adds significantly to your ranged damage if I remember correctly.
And with ranger and magic damage, if your bow has it, put some skill points into intelligence as that raises your magic damage. Dexterity as well for ranger that will up not only your ranged regular damage but your ranged resistance some as well.
Enchant your weapons up with the best damage enchantments you have available and you should be fine.

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
EVGA X58 motherboard
6GB of OCZ DDR3 memory
watercoooled i7 920 @ 3.8GHz (4+4 cores)
EVGA (Nvidia) GTX 275 graphics
Creative X-fi elite pro sound card.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Go back to broken valley and finish all the side quests and kill all the monsters you didn't to get a few levels and maybe better loot. I'm sure you didn't clear it, and btw archer is not an easy char until level 20 so don't be surprised your having difficulties. You can make sort of a paladin char, simply raise all stats around the same, use a shield, and take all the defensive talents you see, and just killing everything with jump hit (whatever its called). I always wanted to try this, and its going to be my next char, as I saw someone around the forum that did this and says its pretty good.
(Just balance all ur states, thou VIT and SPIRIT should be handled a bit differently).

A mage is also always a good way to pwn. Summon a deamon\ gost\ undead + your creature will put you away from the heat, while you cast your op magic missiles that (at higher levels) will 1 hit many things (especially with destruction and way of the battle mage and so).

Don't spend many points into VIT or SPIRIT (those states imo can be left at 15 both since you get so much gear with bonuses for them) and try to maybe put some into ur DEX or STR or whatever even if you don't need it for the added defense. If ur going mage focus on INT.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for helping me out guys. i went arround and killed everything i could see and did like every side quest under the sun to level to 15 then got Exploding Arrow and that thing pwns. i killed the maxos temple boss in like 3 hits of it mabey even less and he did like nothing to me. i am finally my first dragon and its so asume.

thanks for the tips

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard