Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hey there guys!

I had the stuttering issue as many of you have. Plus, AA didn't seem to work nor the Depth of View thing. It was frustrating and some of the fixes mentioned here didn't really help for me. Anyway, I played around myself for awhile and MY stuttering issues are over and the game's graphics improved bigtime.

For the record, this is no guarantee that it will work for you aswell. It worked for me and I felt like sharing it:

1. Set everything on 'EXTREME';
2. Make sure Timesplice Animation Update is DISABLED;
3. Make sure Timesplice Shadow Update is ENABLED;
4. Make sure HDR lighting is DISABLED (this really improved my graphics. Apparently if you have HDR enabled, right about every other graphical feature is disabled even if it's enabled in the graphics options!);
5. Make sure your new settings are saved;
Optional 6. Reboot computer (not sure if I did that);
7. Marvel in the glory of Divinity II!!!

Last edited by Maphesta; 24/01/10 06:07 PM.
S
S
1 statement, yes this helps, but HardLines fsutil did more good
2 question, where or what is HDR, I have AA, but no HDR, so call me a n00b

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
It's among the list of graphical features you can tag on or off at the buttom of the graphics options (in the game, of course). It's there along with Depth of Field.. and 2 other options I can't remember atm.

The HDR part is basically my whole point of the post so I'm not surprised you're not yet excited if you haven't found the option yet to disable it in the first place. Give the options another look, let me know if it helped! smile

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Letting you know:
Tried, didn't give anything.

stranger
stranger
Ditto. Didn't work.
The fact of the matter is that we (players) should not have to decipher the perfect graphical setting just to be able to play the game.
It's BS and this company should be working a lot harder to solve these stuttering problems, not adding crosshairs and adjusting melee attacks.
People are crying out on these forums about stuttering and yet they don't even address it in the "Known Issues" thread.
Please, help me to understand.

Last edited by JokerSF; 25/01/10 12:47 AM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I feel sorry for giving you guys false hopes. I really hoped it'd help you guys as it helped me.

JokerSF, you're absolutely right. It's ridiculous that the gamer-community has to unite in an attempt to fix inexplicable issues.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
@JokerSF - it seems that nobody cares actually. Maybe if we would be zegermanz, maybe then... One thing is sure - they lost a lot in my eyes with this dead forum.

Last edited by Uzeer; 25/01/10 03:47 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Yeah disabling HDR gave me about 5-6 more FPS, but didnt help with stuttering in the way a combo of running media player and setting priority to high did.

S
S
yes I have to say that all of these things help, maybe all these things together contribute to the fix

Support
Support

Maphesta:
Even if this doesn't help everyone with a similar problem, it will likely help some people, and for the rest it could a least give them an idea of how to try to tweak the graphics settings for their particular system/situation.

JokerSF:
Many games, and other programs, have to have their settings adjusted to work optimally. Even if there are problems with the game itself, some case are due to system problems or settings.
Many bugs that can not be reproduced in-house require user feedback to be able to identify and fix.
Changing/adding features or game balancing doesn't necessarily detract from bug fixing. A programmer focusing on AI or UI may not have the knowledge or background to track down or fix problems or conflicts with the game engine, and even if they did, it would take some time to become familiar enough with the code to be able to do anything productive.

Uzeer;
The forum wasn't set up as the official / primary support mechanism. Larian has posted today in the loading screen problem topic, so it isn't dead, either.
More official participation would be nice, but I would rather have them working on fixes than posting about them.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
@Raze - I always thought that forums are the easiest way to server as support, that's why I came here. But maybe you're right I will mail the to death.

stranger
stranger
@Raze
I'm not a software engineer so I know it may be easy for me to throw stones without having a full understanding of how things work.
I can only assume that most gamers are not software engineers and only have a surface level understanding.
That being said, I beleive it is the company's obligation to communicate with us. I know they can't address every person but they can address a group who all seem to have the same problem. Communication is the key to calming the crowd. They could, for instance: Let us know that they are aware of it. Put it in the known issues. Give us a status of the progress every so often. Ask for player help. (I see very limited requests for player help concerning the stuttering.) Don't tell us you fixed the stuttering and then turn around and tell us that they can't fix it for every configuration. I don't buy the confiruation line. There are too many people with the same problem with varying hardware.
I understand your want to "calm" the board down but lets give credit where credit is due.

stranger
stranger
i bought the game yesterday but i am kinda disappointed. my system is well beyond the system requirements for this game but it lags/stutters ect when it shouldnt. i have spent many hours reading this forum and trying many different Graphix settings to no avail. i mean some things help but i should be able to run this with everything on max smooth. it seems as if almost everyone is having this problem also. does anyone know if they are going to fix these performance problems in the next patch? i really want to keep at this game its got an amazing style to it but this stuttering/lag/low fps for no reason is driving me crazy.

BTW Joker you hit the nail on the head with that post!

Last edited by ZedReiN; 28/01/10 09:01 AM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by ZedReiN
my system is well beyond the system requirements for this game but it lags/stutters ect when it shouldnt.

I have the certain feeling as if this "stutter" ONLY happens on better machines ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
Does anyone know if they are going to get a fix for this out in a patch? i would like to play the game but this stuttering/lag is driving me crazy.

Last edited by ZedReiN; 30/01/10 06:15 AM.
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
@zedrein - no official yes or no answer on this matter, sorry.

stranger
stranger
they should do something its sad to see a game like this have this kind of problem and it not get fixed asap by the devs. ive try'd just about everything on these forums but still its got this stuttering/lag.

stranger
stranger
I took the game back to the store. They have a no return policy on open games but I told them the story and that the game is defective. They agreed. I returned the game and they gave me a refund. I recommend you do the same because Larian obviously doesn't care.

If you are having stuttering issues, I recommend taking it back. Maybe then these companies will start listening to us and show the customer a little respect.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I had no stuttering issues on my game at all. However I do have issues with securom (aka failrom) not reading my CD anymore. Sadly, I got this from walmart and they will do nothing but exchange it for the exact same game. I also have fallout 3 which was a good game other than the failrom protection which has caused me nothing but issues.

I suggest trying to find a copy that does not have failrom on it. In fact it could BE failrom that is causing your stuttering since it may be checking every few mins to make certain you are not running a pirated copy.

I also want to let this company know that securom does not make this game secure, all it does is make your PAYING customer have enormous difficulty in playing a game that they PAID for while those who pirate it and have your protection removed, play on with no difficulty. Let me say this as clearly as I can..

REMOVE secure rom. It is WASTED code. I have a legit copy of this game and you are FORCING me to have to find a pirated copy just to PLAY a game a PAID for.

veteran
veteran
Digital version has no secuROM. Return back your retail copy and buy digital one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard