Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rao Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Simple question guys:

I just got out of the battle tower and into the fjords for the first time and noticed that- while in dragon form, the beaches can be literally swarming with mobs, yet I can't see or affect them at all while in dragon form, but they suddenly phase into existence when I morph into human form...what the heck???

You have to be joking. This is all a joke, right? Surely this is a bug, right? I mean...really?

Last edited by rao; 21/01/10 04:15 AM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
I personally think that's intentional. Probably, the developers thought it would be too easy to take down your ground-based enemies in dragon form. You might also notice that in general, flying enemies won't attack you while you're in human form.

Support
Support

Yes, it was intentional, and primarily for balancing reasons.

What exactly is the point of turning into a dragon

Questions (killing NPCs, dragon form, missions)

(maybe not the most involved examples of previous relevant discussion, but that's what I found in my first/only search)

Welcome to the forum. wave

old hand
old hand
Well if you try morph into dragon in front of the hordes of mob, you will notice that they will be running for their life and then gone from your vision. Its actually quite funny.

R
rao Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I gotta say that I seriously disagree with inexplicably phasing in/out of enemies, and I would not have purchased this game had I known it dealt with the issue in such an utterly ham-fisted way.

You'll never have my dollars again, Larian.

Support
Support

Feel free to suggest a better alternative.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Well.... I understand that this is for balance issue, but I would have nothing against some ol'school burning and ripping with claws... Maybe some extra mission ?
And I think that would be nice some way to indicate where enemies are to not demorph over tons of them, or some kind graphic enhancement becouse I tend to miss some things when in flight and after another round close to the ground I see that something suddenly pops up.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze

I appreciated it in that I didn't want to have to deal with getting cooked from wyvern while I was whacking on ground enemies. I did find that the map marking helped me to figure out which area I had cleared so i didn't spend a great deal of time going back over them.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to chase those weasels down and cook them up wink

R
stranger
stranger
R
It's all sad... I think some other developers would have gone for the fun and murderous mayhem a Dragon would have posed slaughtering the masses. I have killed some baddies when the did not dissapear (to my surprise!) I could not lock on to them, but my fire breath took them out, but I was even more baffeled when it took many healings and lots of mana to do it. Go figure!?!?!?

addict
addict
I have idea
why not to make you dragon form 5 x times more vurneable to ground units.

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
I have idea
why not to make you dragon form 5 x times more vurneable to ground units.

Then you wouldn't be mighty dragon, but sissy dragon. And becouse of that you would use dragon form as airlines only.
It would be ok just to make few quest where you actually do some burning..

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze

Well, since you asked.

DRAKAN: ORDER OF THE FLAME

I think most people expected they would be able to fight characters on the ground, I know I certainly did. And being as how its obvious this game got a lot of inspiration from Drakan, I think expecting to not have the monsters just literally disappear is reasonable.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not only were there ground monsters that would beat the crap out of your dragon, but the game didn't make them disappear when you took off.

I'm quite disappointed in the dragon combat implementation in D2. There are just a bunch of design elements that really don't seem right at all. Heat seeking arrows, useless shields, and disappearing monsters to be the main ones.

stranger
stranger
Oh yeah DRAKAN: the order of the flame!!
It's still my fav game laugh

I found it a bit weird when a flying fortress leader said not to turn into a dragon, because it wouldn't be a fair fight and when you do turn into a dragon you can't even see him frown
It would be nice if you can tear apart a whole (ground) army smile (like flying high and then dive and shoot fireballs and firebreath and maybe land on a enemy so he would be instantly dead)

I think it would also be nice if you can walk in dragonform (like in drakan when you ride on your dragon) and that you can shoot a fireball without locking on (just a straight line) and with locking on.

"Let's go, roast some EVIL SCUM!" - Arokh (Drakan)
old hand
old hand
I think a good idea would've been being able to attack all ground enemies as a dragon, but with a significant XP penalty to balance it out. I.e. receiving only 1 XP or so... since the dragon would be obviously overpowered against any random goblin or Black Ring grunt.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Simple: cuz its damn awesome + you regenerate mana fast, and heal yourself faster @ very start when you get dragon form, cuz the HP and MP are shared when you morph

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor
I think a good idea would've been being able to attack all ground enemies as a dragon, but with a significant XP penalty to balance it out. I.e. receiving only 1 XP or so... since the dragon would be obviously overpowered against any random goblin or Black Ring grunt.

I like this idea, I think it would work well with the game.

But then again, there would be all those fools who kill everything as dragon and then complain when they get to a part where you can't change into dragon(like the last fight against the divine) and these people would be low level and would never be able to beat.

and then again, I could point and laugh at those people and tell them to do it all over again

apprentice
apprentice
Actually...

XP should have been rewarded by quests only.
Monsters drop gold, to buy gear.

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nastilon
Actually...

XP should have been rewarded by quests only.
Monsters drop gold, to buy gear.

good idea
I already saw that in few games and its work well

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Thank you, Nastilon. I couldn't have said it better myself. A little better game design would have fixed this issue. My friend gave me his copy and I played until you finally get the dragon form. As soon as I discovered that you couldn't attack ground targets ala Drakan, my interest tanked. I was going to buy the Dragon Knight Saga, but I'm going to pass on it now. I doubt I'll even finish Ego Draconis unless somebody makes a mod or patch that addresses this issue. The rest of the game play just isn't strong enough to make up for this glaring fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard