Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
stranger
stranger
M
For those who said the bad endings in D2 are preparation for D3. Having played games from Larian in the past, I can predict D3 endings as well: "The hero dies, evil triumph... again!"

.... and then... more posts in the forums "Don't be sad, get ready for D4..."

Moofly #405706 09/02/10 10:41 PM
I doubt they'll do a repeat ending. Usually any kind of franchise will use somewhat obvious endings or cliffhangers, but they won't repeat them, especially one they just used.

What's a more likely ending for the next part will be you kill Damien and Ygerna, but then you find out there's a bigger threat that's been behind the scenes and Damien was just a henchmen.

Ben-Juda #405928 11/02/10 08:58 PM
O
stranger
stranger
O
I have to say, i am really enjoying this topic. After a few hours of reading i realized then i actually like this end. Like others i have a ton of questions, but all will have to wait on Divine III. Only one thing does not let me sleep. After first killing Ball and second killing Bosses in Hall of Echoes drop me some red EPIC items. Please does anyone know what is a purpose of those things? Could i use them on beginning of the game somehow?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language smile

oggy #406161 14/02/10 05:11 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I do not think you may use the epic items in the beginning. Just a random drop. Kinda odd if you ask me, because a lucky drop there is not really going to change how well you do in the end as you can no longer enchant at this point in the game. Oh well.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Yes you are right, but these EPIC items have strange requirements like 2.level or 13 strength. Thats why i have to ask again. May i use them on beginning of the game somehow?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Just finished the game and I agree with the folks that think the ending was poorly done. I personally don't mind an ending that is less than perfectly happy or that turns the table on the player in some way but the way Larian did it here comes off as clumsy and a bit cheap. And as much as I really liked Divine Divinity (I dropped Beyond Divinity after about an hour), I am not going to be sticking around to see how things turn out.

What a shame, with a bit more polish and a more developed story, this could have been an amazing game. So close....

oggy #406293 15/02/10 09:34 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by oggy
I have to say, i am really enjoying this topic. After a few hours of reading i realized then i actually like this end. Like others i have a ton of questions, but all will have to wait on Divine III. Only one thing does not let me sleep. After first killing Ball and second killing Bosses in Hall of Echoes drop me some red EPIC items. Please does anyone know what is a purpose of those things? Could i use them on beginning of the game somehow?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language smile

Me too, fun to read whole topic wink ... and I begin to like the ending, BUT not this:
And about Epic items in Hall of Echoes you can find:
it's a case I don't feel fine at all! Finding a nice weapon/armor in the Hall of Echoes, but I CAN'T enchant it anymore ...
BECAUSE of that DAMNED "CAN'T go back to the Orobas Fjords (and so on) AFTER GO IN THE HALL OF ECHOES!!!"

Please, Larian, make any ending you want, BUT make a SEEMLESS world, please, begging you!!!

Reasons I love to have the possibility to go back to (in this game) the Orobas Fjords (and so on):
1) if I discover my character is to weak for the final battle, I can go back for more XP or better equipment;
2) if I'm a lucky one that find a wonderfull weapon/armor in that Hall of Echoes with enchantment-slots, I can go back to my enchanter;
3) if I simply wish to do more quests after doing the final battle (and save my game just before the final battle)... I can load again an go back ... for doing more quests ...
4) if I find the enemies I must kill just after going IN the Hal of Echoes TOO difficult .. I can go back ...
5).... etc ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #406451 16/02/10 10:11 PM
journeyman
journeyman
after reading all of these differant posts i'm of the mind not to even go into the hall of echo's but to quit right here. when, or if, they come out with 3, then go back and finish up the game just so i won't have to live as a loser while waiting for next game.

talia60 #406499 17/02/10 07:54 AM
veteran
veteran
It's not a shame to be a loser, but for many players, it's for sure a disappointment, this ending, but not for all players wink

But if you go in the Hall of Echoes, be very very sure you have at least 1 savegame BEFORE you enter the Hall of Echoes!!!

I wish/hope Larian makes no more such a stupid "mistake" like "Not possible to going back" !!... here so stupid thing with the "Hall of Echoes" and in Divine Divinity with the "Wastelands" (with that difference the Wastelands has a shop to buy better gear etc ...and a few quests to solve smile ).

Last edited by Joram; 17/02/10 07:54 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #406545 17/02/10 04:52 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Just finished... Just saw how I screwed up everything in Rivellon... Larian should stop sleeping, stop going out on saturday nights (or every other day, just to be sure), completing patches for D2 and IMMEDIATELY start D3... /me with a whip in both hand... and when I say IMMEDIATELY [Jack Bauer]I mean IMMEDIATELY![/Jack Bauer] laugh

Joking mode aside, as the second chapter of an epic tale, no other ending could be more appropriate than this. I don't feel myself a loser, just a little bit frustrated in my efforts to help Rivellon and the Divine. DD and D2 prepared the epic 3rd chapter in which everything will be set once and for all. At least with Damian and Ygerna... At least... I hope... laugh

Ben-Juda #406573 17/02/10 10:41 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
I was shocked at the ending, I was hoping to kick that bald b*****d in the head like he did me earlier in the game. I am playing it again this time as a mage/ranger. I enjoyed the dialogue and the NPC's personalities I thought they were quite funny at times. I especially liked the two gossiping women in the village.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
The ending was cheap for me and killed any re-playability the game might have had.

A great shame as,for the most part,this was a very good,and surprisingly stable,game.

However,why would you want to go through all that only to destroy the world,AGAIN!

It's not as if the ending was a result of the choices your character made,as,however you play the game,you can't avoid the ending as written by Larian.

I see the ending purely as a cheap trick designed to make you want to play Divinity 3.This may work if number 3 arrives quickly but if the delay between 2 and 3 is as long as that between 1 and 2,I feel that the ending will simply leave a bad taste inthe mouth of many players.

Last edited by Lostsheep; 20/02/10 11:06 AM.
Ben-Juda #406909 22/02/10 05:21 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Why so many complaint about the ending? Is the ending that bad that it makes the game less fun? Do people really enjoy the cookie cutter ending in which good guy saves princess and live happily ever after? How many RPGs have that already? I'm not saying it's the best ending but RPGs have always been about the journey not the end. Perhaps a solution to this is for Larian to make 2 endings, one cookie cutter good and other this ending.

I do admit the game felt rush near the end in which it felt like the producers were running out of money and needed to wrap it up. This is expected when you are on a limited budget unlike the budget given to Final Fantasy XIII, Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age. Doing a game in 3d is pretty expensive when compared to 2d, however this is the trend if you want more buyers and small time developers have to compete on a much lower budget. Could they have developed a much deeper and longer 2d rpg with less graphical flare? I'm pretty sure they could, but the sales number may hurt in the end. I assume they did what they could with the budget that they had, so let's try to be a little considerate.

With regards to the game stopping at level 35ish, I did wish it would continue on a bit further so that you can enjoy your tower and your dragon form more. Giving the dragon/tower in the middle and than rushing to the end feels a bit hollow. At least the company isn't charging you extra for the tower as DLC like in games such as Dragon Age.

With regards to re-playability, it would be nice if they could work in an ability to replay on a more advance level with the gears you earned kinda like Diable II, but I know that would be a challenging balance issue. You are pretty much invincible near the end because most of the enemies are 2-4 levels below you. This game is unbalance in that the beginning is hard but near the end it becomes way too easy. As a ranger, my splitting arrow can do around 3500-4000 ( on a single target)and explosive arrow does 2500-3700. Bosses usually go down within a couple of sec. I honestly didn't even get a chance to enchant any of my gears throughout the game because either I had more powerful gears or that the item that I could have enchanted really wasn't worth it. Also regardless of the ending good or bad outcome, it shouldn't really stop people from replaying a game. Remember it's the journey not the end that is the fun factor. Trying out different builds or killing a boss using a different strategy is enough of a reason for me to replay.

In the end though, if those 30-40 hours that you spent playing this game was horrible and felt like a punishment, then don't punish yourself further by replaying it. On the other hand, if those 30-40 hours felt fun and entertaining they perhaps maybe you should try another round.

Last edited by tocumi; 22/02/10 05:51 AM.
kashunut #407165 25/02/10 01:31 AM
stranger
stranger
I just finished this game right now.

First off, this game ranks probably in my top 10 favorite games of all time. No, really..I think I started getting into games around 1995, so this game IS good (to me at least).

The ending could be bad or good. To me it really was neither. I enjoyed playing the game entirely, and never found a dull moment. This game really got better from start to finish for me, where as a lot of games start off good then just fall off the edge. If this is the last Divinity game to ever come out, then I'd lean towards the ending being a thumbs down. If Divinity 3 comes out, then we really won't know whether this ending was good or not till then.

The ending also had a very "Sacred 2'ish" feel to it. If you've beat Sacred 2, you'll know what I mean. However, the game was just too fun the entire time for me to be mad at a rather lackluster ending. Sure, I would have liked to have fought Damian at least, and seen previous characters such as Lovis play some role towards the end, but hey - it is what it is. And, the Hall of Echoes was rather cool, though the "bosses" seemed too easy the second time around.

Either way, despite an ending which I really favored neither good or bad - the game is terrific.

Nuriyan #407194 25/02/10 02:54 PM
old hand
old hand
The ending is also similar to Dungeon Siege 2's. The expansion came out not long after.

virumor #407224 25/02/10 07:34 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor
The ending is also similar to Dungeon Siege 2's. The expansion came out not long after.

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you thought was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.

Last edited by sloo_monster; 26/02/10 05:37 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sloo_monster

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you though was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.

But similar to Divinity 2, you were manipulated all along, which seems to be the main gripe of people that complain about Divinity 2's ending.

virumor #407295 26/02/10 05:40 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by sloo_monster

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you though was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.

But similar to Divinity 2, you were manipulated all along, which seems to be the main gripe of people that complain about Divinity 2's ending.

True. All in all though I thought that Divinity 2 was better, even with possibly poor ending(depending if there is an expansion or not). I was so unimpressed by Dungeon Siege 2 that I did not even buy the expansion, even if the last fight was a lot more epic.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MonkeyLungs

* Forums are FULL of complaints about bugs all over the place.

To be fair, ANY game forum out there is full of complaints about bugs all over the place.

Most people enjoy the game and never ever even visit the game forum.
Very true!

Originally Posted by Moofly
For those who said the bad endings in D2 are preparation for D3. Having played games from Larian in the past, I can predict D3 endings as well: "The hero dies, evil triumph... again!"

.... and then... more posts in the forums "Don't be sad, get ready for D4..."
LOL, get outta my head!

Wow! My jaw dropped, my mind swirled, I was so stunned and disappointed; even hurt. I was lost and just sat there dazed as the credits rolled. I thought that must ruin the replay value whereas before the ending I was eagerly waiting to play again. I will play again. I don't think the ending was bad or good. It certainly plays to the story. There could have been more dialog in the ending to better tie up the loose ends. As others have said; Am I in a crystal? How'd I get in a crystal?

The ending could have been different and the story still continued in D3. The developer chose this ending and surely knew all the flak that would come. It was a bold move. I have never felt this way before about amyself, my hero, my character at the end of a campaign. Thank you Larian for the experience!

A Dragon Knight/betrayer was responsible for the death of the Divine. Now you have played a Dragon Knight, perhaps hoping to clear the name of all Dragon Knights. Now you don't have to imagine how the original "Betrayer" might have felt when he/she realized he/she was falsely manipulated! Supposedly, according to Zandalor, the truth of the original betrayer is innocent? How did he say it? "There is truth and there is the perception of it. You will find out later..." Well, we are now all Betrayers. How does it feel? I guess we know the truth but the perception is as Rhode said all along. The problem with Rhode is her/their single-mindedness, almost fanatical. Eliminating the dragons and their knights only ensures another type of powerful being would be manipulated, be they human, dwarf, elf... Rhode! Now that would be poetic justice.

Lord John Whorfin: History is-a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!
Ben-Juda #408090 04/03/10 11:04 PM
stranger
stranger
Are you people saying that good vs evil, good wins makes a good story? Please die in hell, because people like you make bad movies like Avatar have so much success. I'm not saying Avatar is crap, just it could have been much better if it wasn't so "dumbed down".

Anyway, I was nearing the completion of the game and I was kinda disappointed that i spent ~30-50 hours (or more?) on just another run-of-the-mill RPG with the same ultra-cliché story of the chosen one saving the world. But i said to myself "I'll finish this so i can move on to something better like Mass Effect, Risen, Policenauts". I went for the ending with low expectations and it completely blew me away. Not only it's not the cliché story that has been told millions of times since ancient Greece tales, but it's a great achievement for game storytelling. Very cleverly built up, for instance i wandered why Damian was so stupid to let me live when he had so many chances to kill me, but in the end it all made sense. And Talana the Dragon Knight, I was so convinced she is wrong with her beliefs yet... wow...

It's a brilliant ending, and that's a fact. It's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of lack of taste for who thinks otherwise.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard