Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

When you talk to Finnigan in the cellar of the Ducal inn in Verdistis, and agree to do a task for him, he says;

Commander Kratus confiscated my favourite pair of lock picks in his office. I got those lock picks from my father, so they are of sentimental value. They are also imbued with very useful magics too. I wish them returned to me as soon as possible.

The "useful magics" are being unbreakable (no more collecting and carrying around stacks of regular lockpicks), and a nice stat bonus: +20 agility.

Before the 1.31 patch, Finnigan's lockpicks would break if you lock picked anything with them in your inventory. Installing the disk version patch will put them back in commander Kratus' desk/table, ready to be re-stolen.

In an unpatched disk version, or the Steam version, The magic lockpicks will disappear if you drop them on the ground. Before the disk version patch fixed this, it meant the inventory file trick could not be used to replace them. However, that is currently the best way to recover the lockpicks; see the reply below (the 1.0061A Steam version lockpicks will disappear if dropped on the ground, but the lockpicks from the updated disk version inventory files will be fine).

Before the 1.33 disk patch there was still a way to get the magic lockpicks back, but it is only useful in the 1.31/1.32 disk versions, and remains here for historical reference.
The following is basically a copy of Nike SXT's post from the old forum, 'stuck in easter egg area'.

Please read this post through before attempting, and make sure you follow the steps below carefully.

NOTE: With updated disk versions and the Steam release of DD, the method described in a reply below should be used.

You will need a hex editor. The one Nike recommends, WHD, is small (151KB zip, 315KB extracted), requires no install, is free and easy to use.

Procedure

1 ) Drop everything from your inventory and equipment, or put everything in a chest.

2 ) Pick up a boulder, or other useless object.

3 ) Save the game under a new name, such as 'lockpicks'. Important: just on general principles, you do not want to try a fix or hack on the only copy of your latest save.

4 ) Open the inv.b0 file from the 'lockpicks' saved game folder (..\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames\lockpicks\inv.b0 ) in the hex editor.

5 ) In WHD, there is a Mode selection at the top left, which defaults to 'Dec' (decimal). Press this button, to switch to 'Hex' mode. The program displays a series of 4 character sets, with 10 sets per row. The first two rows are the first 40 bytes of the file, which currently describes the boulder. For Finnigan's lockpicks, the first two lines should be;

8C00 0000 1000 0000 FD0F 0000 FFFF 0000 0100 E0BB
8021 0725 04AB 0014 1400 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

6 ) Each set of 4 characters contains 2 bytes of data. Double click on the left and / or right two characters of each set, and enter the corresponding values above, then hit Enter or click OK. This is a bit tedious, but not all of the values will need to be changed.

7 ) Double check the values in the first two rows of the hex editor, then exit WHD and re-load the saved game 'lockpicks'.

You should now have Finnigan's magic lockpicks in your inventory, rather than a boulder. Pick up all your stuff / equipment, and go sell your regular lockpicks. biggrin

Last edited by Raze; 15/07/12 11:37 PM. Reason: updated with Steam version info
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

In a game started after installing the v1.33 patch (or an already updated disk version), Finnigan's magic Lockpicks no longer break when dropped on the ground, so it is possible to recover them by swapping inventory files (even using a game started before the patch was installed). After returning them to Finnigan and completing the quest, he will even sell them back to you cheap. Also, Finnigan is a good source for lockpicks and traps, and has miscellaneous equipment and the odd minor charm.
In the Steam/GOG release Finnigan will not sell you the lockpicks after you complete the quest, and is not a good merchant.

There has been a change in the game's bookkeeping between the 1.32 and 1.33 versions, however, so if you swap inventory files or use a hex editor to put them directly into your inventory your agility will drop by 20, and you will need the bonus on the lockpicks just to break even. With the magic lockpicks in a container in your inventory, though, the bonus is not applied and nothing is carried over into a different game when swapping inventory files.

Finnigan's Magic Lockpicks (32KB) - The lockpicks are in a barrel in the inventory; open the barrel and drop the lockpicks on the ground, but leave the barrel in your inventory.
Instructions; Lost Items - guide and directory of inventory files

Last edited by Raze; 20/01/18 10:04 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Raze.. i accidently sold them long ago to someone and they got lost. but without doing nething you suggested came back to Kratus desk and the lockpicks where there again.. Just to letch know that i'm running 1.29a still..

Jim

Your more clever than a fox, more devious than a demon, your a.... Female!!! I'm more challenging than you may think, Too stubborn to change, I must be a.... Male!!!
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
In my case i gave the lockpicks to Finnigan and then i bought them from him. Try trading with Finnigan.

journeyman
journeyman
Kris... i wasnt asking for help on that topic, lol. i was giving it.

Jim

Your more clever than a fox, more devious than a demon, your a.... Female!!! I'm more challenging than you may think, Too stubborn to change, I must be a.... Male!!!
G
stranger
stranger
G
Just to confirm, after the recent update of the steam version, the lockpicks will reappear on Commander Kratus's office once it disappears. dated Jan 2, 2014.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard