Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
stranger
stranger
Is the version that was released on Impulse 30. october the same as the enhanced version released on GOG? The date seems suggestive, but Impulse lists it as version 1.04, and only supporting XP.

Cogito ergo doleo
journeyman
journeyman
Well i was going to reinstall the game after so many years, but will instead download the remastered version. I am actually quite excited as it's been so long i have completely forgotton the storyline. I do remember some of the brilliant music and look forward to hearing it again.

"I used to have a handle on life, then it broke."
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by lynn
Yes, they are wink

I have tried mine, savegames before patch 1.34 and savegames with patch 1.34.
I didn't run into any problems.

Did you also try to overwrite the old savegames?
Because i also loaded my old games without problems but as soon i want to overwrite them i crash to desktop.

Support
Support

Pendragon;
The versions should be the same (other than however the different companies package them). At least with the CD/DVD version, the game displays the version number as 1.0034A, which is often shortened to 1.34. If the remastered version lists the version as 1.004A, perhaps Impulse just shortened that a bit, or it could be that 1.04 is the actual version number, and people are still shortening it to 1.4.
They list the minimum requirements as XP, but don't mention one way or another if Vista or Win 7 are compatible or not. The original release works fine in Vista/7, as does GOG's remastered version, so I can't see Impulse doing anything that would break that.

Mogitu;
I used quicksaves when just exploring or clearing areas, but kept unique named saves before/after quests/battles, entering new buildings/areas, etc, so I had the option to reload and try solving a quest a different way, or to make sure I cleared an area before triggering certain cutscenes, etc (in one case defeating a particular boss monster would destroy any remaining opponents in that building, so you would miss out on some experience points if went too far north without clearing the rest).

Welcome to the forum. wave

C
stranger
stranger
C
I started playing at a resolution of 1920x1080 but find it extremely hard to read some of the text, especially on the trading screens. Is there a hidden zoom option or a way to adjust the font size?

Support
Support

There is a third party font enlargement patch for DD, but I don't know if or how well it would work in the remastered version. I can not see them updating the text display system and then hiding the option for it, so unfortunately it doesn't sound like the text size can be adjusted independently of the resolution.

addict
addict
The font enlargement works with the new version, but it looks bad. The letters are bigger, but blurry and jagged.

I avoided the save-crash by making new named saves out of my old ones. Worked great. No problems with my old saves.

1920 X 1200 makes several things a little too tiny, not just fonts. For a monitor with that native res, I think either 1440 X 900 or 1680 X 1050 are the best resolutions.

journeyman
journeyman
I download the game from Gog. My problem is that the dawn effect doesn't work and goes straight from night to day in an instant. I remember being able to open the config file with my original cdrom game and changing the splotch something or other. However with the Gog installation in am unable to open the config.lcl file to amend this. When i click on open windows does not recognise the file? Any suggestions?

Ps. It's not a file that can be opened with notepad. It looks like A4 white paper with a corner turned down and in the middle of the page is a blue bordered square with six little coloured looking icons, but it cannot be opened.

Last edited by Marzy; 01/11/09 07:45 PM.

addict
addict
Hello. I didn't have any problems opening the file with notepad, just double clicked. If you don't have notepad assigned to open those file extensions, in Windows XP, a double-click should bring up the dialogue to allow you to select a program to open the file. Splotchproblem still works once you get it opened in notepad.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Pendragon
Is the version that was released on Impulse 30. october the same as the enhanced version released on GOG?

Raze is right, it is.

Tweeting @forktong
Support
Support

If you hold the Shift key down and right click on the config.lcl file, you should get an 'Open With' context menu, which will allow you to select a program to open the file with (uncheck the option to 'always use this program' if you do not want / need to set a permanent file association).

You could open Notepad first, click on the open toolbar icon / menu entry, and browse to the config file (you may need to switch from showing text files to all files in the open dialog window).

If you have a shortcut to notepad on your desktop (which I find handy), you can drag and drop a file on it to open. Alternately, if you place a shortcut to Notepad in your 'Send to' folder, you can right click on any file and use that to open it in Notepad.

addict
addict
One problem I've noticed is that the new version always crashes when I try to use a spider statuette. It happens with all of my old characters; I'll try it with new character, and if it doesn't happen to that one, I'll write it off.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

If you hold the Shift key down and right click on the config.lcl file, you should get an 'Open With' context menu, which will allow you to select a program to open the file with (uncheck the option to 'always use this program' if you do not want / need to set a permanent file association).

You could open Notepad first, click on the open toolbar icon / menu entry, and browse to the config file (you may need to switch from showing text files to all files in the open dialog window).

If you have a shortcut to notepad on your desktop (which I find handy), you can drag and drop a file on it to open. Alternately, if you place a shortcut to Notepad in your 'Send to' folder, you can right click on any file and use that to open it in Notepad.

Thankyou Raze and Flixerflax for the answeres. I wasn't aware of how to open certain files but i am now.

addict
addict
Update on achieving higher resolutions: You don't necessarily have to manually edit the .lcl file. If you have a video card that came with software that allows you add custom resolutions, any resolutions that are your card's list will automatically be on the config tool's list of available resolutions. I had used my Nvidia control panel to add many weird resolutions for other modded games, like Diablo II and Planescape:Torment, and those resolutions showed up on Divinity's config tool list of resolutions without me ever having to touch the .lcl file.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Hey guys! I bought this game on a whim from GOG and loved it. I've been on a weeks vacation from my job and really didn't feel like going anywehere. I had a good time just staying home and playing this. I'll definitely buy Beyond Divinity and the new game. I think I'll get the new game on 360 because my 15 year old loves RPG's but prefers consoles. I'm glad I lucked up and found you guys.

Support
Support

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Raze

Thank you sir!

Lynn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
hehe from me too!

stranger
stranger
My game crashes all the time. Not sure if it's the GOG version, my hardware setup or a combination of the two... but I've managed to shrug it off and enjoy the game. Which is a very well made one, I might add.

L
stranger
stranger
L
This game is great. Ppl say DIABLO is the best but i'd pick this anytime. Nice!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard