Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chamr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I've poked around this forum and GOG's, but can not find a definitive answer. I just bought the newest dl version from GOG, but my CD saves crash to desktop after the load bar fills and it sits there for 10 or 15 seconds. Are there any tricks I can try? Would hate to have to start all over...

Support
Support

Do the saves still work in the CD version?

In the original download version of DD games started in the CD/DVD version could usually be loaded ok, but then saving was disabled (a couple people mentioned crashing IIRC). I think that was fixed with the update, though.

Did you backup the saves directly to CR-R/DVD-R and restore them by copying the folders back? If the files in the save folder are marked as read-only the game will crash near the end of the loading process.

Check the number of files in the saved game folder (in '..\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames'). Missing files might cause the game to crash when trying to load. A new game should have 22 files, after going to either Verdistis or the Dark Forest it should have 27, after going to both it should have 32, etc.

C
chamr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Thanks for the quick response, Raze.

- save used to work with CD version
- made sure all files and folder were not set to read-only
- number of files is correct

I got a slightly older save to load, but it CTDs when I try to save.

journeyman
journeyman
Try starting a new game and save it.
Call the save file TEST.
Go back into DD and load the TEST save file to check it works okay.
Then close down DD.
Then copy your old cd version save into the TEST save folder that has been created.
Now try opening the TEST save file in game.
It should now have your old save loaded.

If that doesn't work I suspect that save files from the downloaded version and the cd retail version are not interchangeable.

Support
Support

Has GOG released the patch for DD yet, and integrated it into the full download?
I know Impulse did a couple weeks ago, with a version number shown in the bottom right corner of the main menu as 1.005A (original download version was 1.004A). However, GOG's support page for DD doesn't mention a patch, that I saw.

C
chamr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
@stubbie: thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

@Raze: Yes, GOG has the 1.005A version out, which is the one I bought. It shows at the bottom right on the main menu screen.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Same thing for me. I can load my old CD version save with my laptop with the 1.005A GOG version, however whenever I try to save again it gets stuck and CTD.

Might just be forced to start all over again...

Last edited by Chihaya; 16/02/10 12:57 PM.
C
chamr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Update: tried stubbie's suggestion above, still no dice. It seems that old CD-version saves will not work with downloaded, remastered version. I can only hope Larian takes a little time to write a quick and dirty utility that converts old 1.0034A saves to be able to work with the 1.005A version. Until then, time to start anew...

G
stranger
stranger
G
I may have found a solution. I had just come on the same problem. Was playing the no CD version and came upon the movie that plays that causes it to freeze up. Purchased the GOG version that I found a few days ago.

After the crashed I checked the save folder, there were two folders. My main save which I'll call 'DD' and another 'DD.tmp' folder that was created during saving. I just copied the files into the main folder and all seems to be fixed.

Hope that helps anyone that comes across this problem.

Edit: As of yet not a solution. I tested it out and found that the items.000 file is causing the crashes. When I copied the temp data over, it's an empty file and all items (ie weapons, armor) have no stats. Still seeing what I can make of it though.

Last edited by Gauy; 01/04/10 12:51 AM.
Support
Support

It sounds like in your case there was a problem during the save process.
The game saves files to a temporary folder before moving them to a folder without the .tmp extension. This is to prevent a working save from being damaged if there is a problem during the save process when overwriting an existing save.

Welcome to the forum. wave

G
stranger
stranger
G
After much playing around with it, I found no way around the items.000 corruption. I tried copying over the file from a new saved game but I basically have lost all my items that I have collected so far. The only items that are any good are one's purchased from a store.

Support
Support

Do you have any previous saves? An items.000 file from an earlier point in the same game may limit the damage done to equipment (that file keeps track of random bonuses on equipment).

If you recall the stats, you could use DAD's item editor to try to recreate what you had, or just get stuff good enough to last until you can find or purchase new equipment.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard