Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Is the lockpick skill worth maxing early...or at all? Is it just helpful for finding a bit more cash or do you find really nice armor/weapons/ect hidden away inside of the locked chests? Are there any other ways of opening chests that make this skill somewhat less useful later on?

Also, just got the game on steam and so far it's awesome! Not sure why I didn't get it earlier since I was tracking it even before it came out...but I guess late is better than never :P

*edit*

I didn't see the "help/tricks/advice" sub forum...could a moderator move this thread there? Sorry about that...

Last edited by KnuckleHead; 07/04/10 02:36 PM.
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Moved! smile

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks, sorry about that.

Also, I have a second question...I know there are two types of books...skill books and then some you just find and can read. Are they used for anything other than just to fill in some lore/story/ect?

veteran
veteran
Hi,

Lock Pick skill is something I did not level up max in the beginning. For sure now I play on "high" I feel need of other skills in battle.

There are enough hidden treasures to find and loot ... with gear, weapons etc in ...
The first time I played I maxing Lock Pick and found sometimes equipment I can't wear because I wasn't a high enough level or haven't the Strength or Dexerity to wear it yet! So I decised now to wait with max out my Lock Pick.

Now on level 14 I have 2 (or 3, can be, not sure) points in Lock Pick!
If a chest or whatever can't open via Lock Pick, there must somewhere a KEY to find or a quest to trigger ...
(with Lock Pick 5/5 : only a few chests I didn't find a key for and can't open with Lock Pick ... )

Some books are Quest-items, but in that case, you find them by your questitems-log in your Inventory. All other books are for telling some history or some funny stories biggrin ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the reply...so looks like it might be somewhat of a waste to invest in lockpicking? I guess I am a bit confused though because there was a "show us your build thread" and nearly everyone had 5/5 lockpicking so I thought it would be more useful...

veteran
veteran
It IS useful, sorry I maybe confussed you smirk Sorry!
Lock Pick I find useful!
But I do not max it out early in the game! To the time I go to the Battle Tower, I have go to all chests that are still closed and try them after invest an extra point in Lock Pick. I can't remeber if there is a chest in Brocken Valley or Sentinel Islands BEFORE I have my Battle Tower that need "Lock Pick 5/5"!(?) Try it and see.

So, do what you want: max it out early, so fast as you can or wait and make first other skills on a higher level.
It's all up to you KnuckleHead! wink

Last edited by Joram; 07/04/10 04:39 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
I personally found it useful to max out ASAP, as I HATE going back to places I have already been only to open chests. Plus I HATE searching for too long trying to find keys. Inventory management is not that big of a deal to hold on to items you can't use yet, but potentially may.

Is reality just a fantasy?
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Cool, thanks for the responses. I'll probably just max it out early...only because (like the other person) I'm not too fond of back tracking.

addict
addict
MAX IT

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
stranger
stranger
Since no one covered this subject, skill books actually can be used and give you one skill point to use to level up a skill!

Frank Martin
veteran
veteran
Lockpick is actually worth putting one point into at about level 12, then at the Bandit Camp...

Killing the bandit leader Jagon gives you a +1 Lockpick amulet.

Use that to open the level 2 lock on
the top floor of the Black Boar inn, and picking up the book there, which will eventually lead to you finding a Skillbook.

If you don't mind doing a LOT OF backtracking, you can wait until Sentinel Island - but BEFORE entering the Battle Tower - to fully max out Lockpick. The stuff you'll find in the chests is scaled to your level, so you'll get a lot of good stuff at level 15, instead of less good stuff at level 5.

If you hate backtracking, put points into it as you need it. But definitely, max it out, there are lots of skill points and locked chests.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Already maxed it doh! Question though...if I get that amulet do skills go above 5 (6/5)? If so, do any chest require more than 5 points?

If not, is there a way to refund skill points in this game?

Last edited by KnuckleHead; 08/04/10 03:18 PM.
addict
addict
you can refunde points once you have battle tower

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks, that's fine then.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
Thanks, that's fine then.

Well, once you have the Battle Tower, you don't want to respec your points in Lockpick, because it's still useful. One point more or less won't mean much, you get a healthy amount of skill points in this game.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard