Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have a really strange issue with the grass and flora in the game not rendering correctly. It looks like its being stretched at really weird angles. performance wise the game is fine. I have tried changing all settings and resolutions, turning off desktop compsition, and set it to run as administrator.

Windows 7x64
Radeon HD 4870X2 (with latest drivers and catalyst A.I. turned off)
heres a screenshot:

[Linked Image]

stranger
stranger
Good day,

I'm having the EXACT same problem...

What was the solution?

...I've been digging through the forums and tried everything I could find...

System:
Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit
AMD X2 Dual @ 2.8Ghz
4 GB RAM
ATI x1950 (qty: 2)
Crossfire disabled

Software:
Direct2Drive build of Div2 (version 1.3.15.112)
Compatibility Mode:
Windows XP SP2
As Admin
Disable Desktop Composition
Downloaded Install Package twice and installed twice, same graphic distortion on both.
Edited graphicoptions.xml to match video @ 1680x1050
T tried many different combinations of Game Video settings, but end up with graphics like O.P. or worse.

Any help would be appreciated,

~Pete

Last edited by Rasstis; 20/04/10 11:06 AM. Reason: details added
Support
Support

Have you tried emailing supportintl@dtp-entertainment.com or support@larian.com?

veteran
veteran
I had similar problems on my machine when I was playing...well anything really, but the more graphically demanding the game the worse it was.

Hopefully you do not have the same issue I had. In my case the problem came from a dying video card, which turned out to be due to a dying power supply (figured that out after I burned up two more VC's)

I ended up rebuilding my machine and upgrading to Win 7.

Have you had issues with any other graphic intensive games (Oblivion or WoW are good tests). Does it start out fine and gradually get worse? Does it happen in a single area or in all areas in the game.

Let us know.

stranger
stranger
Greetings,

@Raze
I have not contacted Tech Support yet. I was hoping to find the solution from the forums.

@NeroJB
My system has been running really strong. I just finished Dragon Age Origins two days ago and everything ran great. I've also played Border Lands and Mass Effect 2, on this same machine; couple of months ago. It is possible the cards are dying, but I have seen no signs/symptoms until playing this game. The computer PSU is a "ENERMAX Galaxy EGX850EWL 850W" and by last estimates I'm only running at about 30% load.

The graphic distortion is persistent and does not worsen. Whereever "grass, bushes...foliage" are present; the outdoor environment, the video is distorted. It's like, whatever technology generates/renders the grass/foliage, it is streched 1000 times in height.

Inside buildings, caves, and such; I have not noticed any issues.

I have been playing the game, it is just an extra challenge to not always see where things are. It's like having an over-stretched-Army-Camo-net pulled over your face...and you just deal with it.

I can post more pic's (if my account is allowed), if it will help this problem.

Thanks In Ad.,
~Pete

veteran
veteran
Unless this is the early stages of VC death rendering sounds like the more likely culprit...in that regard I have little advice except put it on min settings and reduce the resolution and see if that helps...

Support
Support

Someone mentioned using a program to disable post processing effects (HDR settings), though I couldn't find it in a quick search (they didn't give the name). Maybe something like that could help if game settings in the options or configuration file, or for the video card / drivers, don't fix the problem.

stranger
stranger

@Raze: I'll looking into "disable post processing effects - HDR settings". Thanks.

What versions of ATI Catalyst Drivers are peeps using with this game?? I'm running the newest for Win7 64bit: Catalyst 10.2

I think I remember a post about someone running another version...suggestions?

~Pete

stranger
stranger
No progress on finding a solution yet.

I did break down and drop some cash on a new video card.
"ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB"

Old card GPU: ATI Radeon X1950XT
New card GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770

It should arrive in the next couple of days.

I'll post if the video card upgrade does the trick. If not...expensive lesson. :-/

~Pete

stranger
stranger
New Video card did the trick!!

The ATI HD 5770 solved the rendering problem as seen in OP's screen-shot. It would have been nice to fix with a setting or a patch...oh well.

My personal opinion is that the "ATI Radeon x1950 XT" is NOT compatible with Divinity II.

~Pete

P.S. Or maybe ATI Catalyst version 10.2 is not compatible and ATI Catalyst version 10.3 is???

Last edited by Rasstis; 24/04/10 03:09 AM. Reason: Added information
Support
Support

Glad you got it working. party

stranger
stranger

Thanks!

stranger
stranger
I'm having exactly the same problem. When I first installed it did the same thing and after 2-3 reinstalls the game came out fine. Ran on Extreme settings for a couple weeks and when I just started it up again back to this crap mad . It's not the graphics card in my case. I've tried 2 that run everything else perfectly: Crysis, Dragon Age, GTA 4, Bad Company 2, and many others. It's not the power supply like some have hinted at, have tried 2 of those that run fine too. It's just this f*ed up game! I have tried most solutions offered on this site and the stretched objects still are appearing. Just about to do 3rd install this time around. You can't blame it on your hardware when lots of people are having this same problem and complaining about it on different sites, most say they have more than adequate setups. You're lucky it helped replacing GPU. I've tried OG game install and the 1.03 update. Have updated everything else.
If anyone finds a definite fix let us know...

Win7 x64 7600
Phenom II 955 (have tried stock and @3.6GHz)
6GB DDR2 1066
2x Radeon 4890 1GB(tried crossfire 2x and single)[catalyst package 10.4, have tried from 10.2 on]
2x SATA 500GB, 1x SATA 1TB

stranger
stranger
GObonzo,

I didn't think of this until now...I went from two (x2) ATI x1950 xt's to one (x1) ATI HD5770. My point being I went from two physical cards to one card. It's a long shot, but try pulling one video card and running the game?

I know it sounds stupid, but that's all I can think of.

Video driver version, as reported by Win7:

Provider: ATI Technologies
Date: 3/2/2010
Version: 8.712.0.0

Good Luck,
~Rasstis

P.S. Link with all my notes:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=411427#Post411427

~R

Last edited by Rasstis; 12/05/10 03:59 AM. Reason: Added Link Information
stranger
stranger
did you read the post?
...2x Radeon 4890 1GB(tried crossfire 2x and single)[catalyst package 10.4, have tried from 10.2 on]...

stranger
stranger
this game is screwed up. just reinstalled 3 more times. first 2 tries installed in german and save games wouldn't load. this last time installed perfect and game is running fine again (with crossfire enabled).

stranger
stranger
have reinstalled ati's catalyst 2 more times and everytime I run the game while catalyst is running this same problem appears. if i disable catalyst and stop it from starting @ window's startup the game is fine. seems to be a problem with ati & larian. every time i've installed catalyst i have to disable it then reinstall the game to get it back to normal.

stranger
stranger
it's ATI's MOM program that's running in the background. if i close catalyst and end the MOM process in task manager the game runs fine.

Support
Support

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully that will help if someone else runs into this problem.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I just purchased this game via digital download and have yet to be able to play it. The cut scenes and menus all render without any problems, but as soon as I get to the actual playable portion of the game, I cannot see anything through the weird geometric shapes covering the screen, blacked out portions, and static portions on the screen.

I have sent an email and the response was to replace the graphics xml file with one they provided a link to yet all it did was reset the options to default.

I have tried changing each of the graphics options individually to each of the different setting to find very little effect other than render shadows causes most of the blacked out portion of the screen.

I also run into problems with the game crashing, not showing up in task manager under running applications, but shows up as a running process that I have to manually end.

Another problem is that the game will sometimes try to load then crash without any error message and "check online for a solution" does nothing.

System specifics:
CPU: E8500 Intel core2Duo
MB: XFX NVIDIA 790i Ultra SLI
Ram: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 2x 500GB
Monitors: 2x 23" Samsung LED (1920 x 1080)
GPU: XFX ATI HD5770 XXX edition (current drivers 10.3 CCC) HD-577A-ZNDC
Dual Monitor Support: Ultramon 3.0.10

I truly hope that I did not just waste money on a game that is completely unplayable. I really do not like the fact that this retail version of a program requires so many manipulations to get to work, if it is able to get to work correctly. I have had no problems with other games at full resolution and graphics settings maxed out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard