Print Thread
F
Fillask Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Dear technical staff,

I came across a problem whilst trying to play Beyond Divinity again after a couple of years.
After running the game (in any resolution/configuration setttings) I can watch the initial movies, Larian, Hip, Nvidia and the game intro movie itself before the game crashes to the desktop with the error "Beyond Divinity has stopped working". Enclosed with this very helpful and pretty obvious statement is the following error report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: div.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 41b70686
Fault Module Name: slash1.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 406054b8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00027657
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1043
Additional Information 1: 6a80
Additional Information 2: 6a800f8a435032bee14041798f4bb144
Additional Information 3: d4af
Additional Information 4: d4af2bd90891dc7136f26ec0f430c617

I am currently running it on:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600).
Latest direct-x drivers.
Radeon x1650 series with the latset ATI drivers.
Intel Core 2 CPU, 6300 @ 1.86GHz -- 2 CPUs ~1.9 GHz.
2048MB DDR3 RAM.
Audigi 2 ZS with latest Creative drivers.

I've already tried most of the different combinations of compatibility modes and the rest of the compatibility settings (i.e. 640x480 resolution, 256 colours, etc.)

I think this is about as detailed as I can get and I really hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the game is patched to 1.49 English Version.

Last edited by Fillask; 03/05/10 03:22 PM.
Support
Support

One person had this problem, but it was fine after they re-installed the game, skipping the DirectX install. You may have done that anyway, though, if you've downloaded and installed the latest DirectX 9c version.

Several people have had slash1.dll errors using older drivers (though that was old as in they were outdated when the topics were posted 5 or 6 years ago). I don't know if it would be worth trying different drivers to see if they make a difference, since you already have the latest.

Try running your Windows desktop and the game at the same resolution; that has helped with some crashes starting the game.

In Windows Explorer, you can browse to the '..\Beyond Divinity\Static' folder, and rename the 'intro.mpg' file, if you wish to skip it on startup. If it doesn't help with the crashing, it will at least make troubleshooting a little faster.

You may want to run the game in Win 9x compatibility mode, even if that doesn't help with the crash. There is a rare bug in some Vista systems (see Inventory graphic placement bug) which can be avoided this way. I don't know if this can also happen under Windows 7.

F
Fillask Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Well, I must say that this was the first time I was able to play a game by removing the videos :P

I'm currently running it on Windows 98/ME compatibility mode and with administrator's rights. I put the resolution on 1280x960, whereas my windows resolution is 1280x1024, with 4x FSAA and Fog is enabled. The FSAA does seem to revert back to 0x every time I run the game... but I can live without that; I'm happy enough that the game is actually running.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Fillask; 04/05/10 04:08 PM.
Support
Support

Glad you got it working, and a belated welcome to the forum. wave

A
stranger
stranger
A
Argh! I am also on Windows7 64 bit, and have reviewed all the compatibility errors for the inventory bug (which is what got me started trying to fix the game).

The problem I had, however, was that I couldn't GET the game to run in 98/ME compatibility, even after the 1.49 patch. So I uninstalled, which didn't work correctly either, and then reinstalled (which I had to do manually because the bad uninstall stopped the CD from recognizing the need to reinstall)...and then patched. And then rebooted.

All to find I've STILL got the same problem with the 98/ME compatibility mode. Which is to say, it will not start at all. No opening movie, no anything except for a subtle shift in the screen that tells me the graphics adjusted, and then they go back and the game doesn't load.

I renamed the intro file, too. Didn't help.

PLEASE help me! I was really enjoying this game, and want to play it right, with a functioning inventory (the bug affects charm usage a great deal since you can't click on some of the gear).

What can I do?

A
stranger
stranger
A
I can run the game in WindowsNT Service Pack 5...that's the earliest OS version that works for me. Any idea if the inventory bug happens here?

Support
Support

I don't know if the inventory bug can happen in NT SP5 compatibility mode...

Did you try other compatibility options, like disabling desktop composition? Did you try running the game as administrator?

Did you try setting the game resolution and your desktop resolution to be the same? That may help if the problem is in how DirectX is switching resolutions.

To manually uninstall the game you can just delete the Beyond Divinity folder (other than any saved games, which may be in a subfolder; see below), though that doesn't remove a couple registry entries (likely why the auto-run program didn't give the option to install). I've never had a problem re-installing the game, even without properly uninstalling it (ie just deleting the folder to free up some space for something else temporarily), but then I have auto-run disabled, and always just go straight to the setup program on the disk.

Each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Beyond Divinity\savegames' folder.
Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you install the game to the default Program Files path, Windows can create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user).
C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Larian Studios\Beyond Divinity\savegames

A
stranger
stranger
A
I did try the checkboxes for desktop composition etc, and always as an administrator. I may have to contact the TC for this thread directly, since he got it to work on the same O/S.

I can't make the resolutions exactly the same because I have an odd-shaped laptop (it's extra wide) but I got them close and still no joy.

I manually uninstalled it exactly as you describe, and reinstalled it the same way, by going into the setup program.

I don't think uninstalling again and reinstalling will help...UNLESS...I didn't reboot after installation and before the patch. I just went right to the patch installation and then rebooted. Could that be it?

I doubt it because I was trying this before the patch, before the reinstall, and it failed to run in exactly the same way...

I'll see if I can get the TC to tell me *exactly* how he got it to run in Windows 7.

Thanks!

-Aaron

A
stranger
stranger
A
Fillask, I have the same O/S as you. My game won't even start in 98/ME compatibility. Can you tell me *Exactly* how you got yours to work, and precisely what settings you use? I know that's a big request, so...please? =D

-Aaron

Support
Support

I don't think uninstalling again and reinstalling will help...UNLESS...I didn't reboot after installation and before the patch. I just went right to the patch installation and then rebooted. Could that be it?

That is what I do, though I'm not running Windows 7. I install the game, run the StarForce driver removal program (just in case), delete the unnecesary DirectX install files copied to the BD folder and the Starforce folder/dll, install the patch and reboot.

I doubt it because I was trying this before the patch, before the reinstall, and it failed to run in exactly the same way...

Before the 1.49 patch, in Vista/7, wouldn't the game just keep giving a message that you needed to reboot, since the copy protection drivers can not install (due to changes made in how they were handled by Windows)? Maybe Windows 7 improved support for older drivers, or handles that in the compatibility mode...

A
stranger
stranger
A
No, I never received an error message before the 1.49 patch. It ran perfectly fine (aside from 98/ME and the inventory bug, that is)...I was at 1.47 before the patch so perhaps that made the difference?

At any rate, WOOT! It appears that the inventory bug is not there in Windows NT Service pack 5 compatibility mode! Woohoo! So you can pass this on in the future to other Windows 7 users, though as I keep playing I will let you know if my observations are disproved.

As of right now, my character is wearing a sash, gloves, and citadel guard armor, all in the right place! Previously the citadel guard armor went onto the leggings, as my first indication of trouble.

When I get to the battlefield I'll equip up and post again. Shields are another good test, and cheap. Might be today, might not be.

Thanks for all the advice, in this and the other threads. I would never have known about all these compatibility modes without you, Raze =D

-Aaron

A
stranger
stranger
A
The inventory glitch is definitely fixed in Windows 7 64-bit by using a compatibility mode of Windows NT Service Pack 5! Yay!

Support
Support

Glad you got it working. party

The 1.49 patch was the same game version as 1.47, but with Starforce removed. Unless re-release versions of BD altered something with the copy protection (in which case I would think it would have been just as easy remove it), it seems Windows 7 handles old drivers better than Vista did.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Hi aaronsan

Out of interest, do you get any of the items incorrecly tagged using the NT comp mode? I.e. Sash description - ring sized slot.

Cheers
Alan

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard