Next Thread
Print Thread
#417433 01/08/10 07:48 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Are thrown spears considered melee or ranged weapons for the purpose of passive skills, i.e. does Augment Damage or True Shot apply here? Or none of these?

Support
Support

I'd assume they are considered ranged weapons when thrown, but never used a spear.

You could test this by saving before a strong opponent, attacking without a skill, then reloading, learning / boosting a skill and attacking again, to see if there is a difference in the average damage value over a number of hits.
In a test save, you could use iZakaroN's SaveEditor (or from Kiya's site, with description) to unlearn skills, give yourself extra skill points or experience points (to meet level requirements), and possibly boost your constitution, so you wouldn't have to worry about your hit points. DAD's item editor could be used to drop the base spear damage, if you wanted to accentuate the potential difference before and after learning skills.

Raze #417458 02/08/10 10:17 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
thx for the link, unfortunately it doesn't work for me. The changes are not permanent. M I doin it rong? Or is it not compatible with 1.4A?

Support
Support

Did you save the changes in the editor, and then reload the edited saved game?

There may have been changes made in the save file format for the download version that prevent the editors from working...

Raze #417503 02/08/10 07:15 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I thought I was doing it correctly, saving and everything. Might try it again later.

BTW thrown spear damage seems... strange. I'm doing 60+ damage right at the beginning of the game, with normal starting strength, a 3-12 spear and 1 rank in Spear. Melee damage with the spear is considerably lower (about what it says in the statistics window).

Last edited by SacredPath; 02/08/10 07:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think this is logical, no?
Thrown a spear you surprize the enemy(so the enemy have not the time going in a defense posture ...) and so doing more damage. Plus: a "thrown" gives more power to the impact of the attack, no?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #417659 03/08/10 07:55 PM
Support
Support

There isn't really a surprise damage bonus built in for other spell or ranged weapon attacks, though, even if you attack without them noticing you in advance (shadow potion, etc).

A thrown spear actually has less of an impact. If you are holding on to the spear you can keep pushing forward as you hit, as well as twisting the spear around or side to side as you pull it out to do additional damage.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard