Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was already fixed on the 360 version. There is no "certification process" required for the PC. You just fix the bug and release a patch on your website.

No doubt you're right, but you'll forgive me if I don't find it particularly satisfying that the developers would rather concentrate on releasing an expansion than fixing a major bug.

I was pretty upset about it four months ago when I foolishly purchased the game before reviews were out, but at this point I've written off my fifty bucks and simply resolved to never purchase anything from Larian ever again. A real shame, since Divinity1 was one of my all-time favorite games.

Support
Support

There was a bug in the US Xbox version with overwriting saves, but it was a different problem (character location could be altered when reloading a save that had been overwritten). The source of the problem on the PC could be similar, though that wouldn't necessarily mean the solution was.

Larian can not create a patch, test it in-house and release it on their own, due presumably to the agreements they have with the various publishers.
From the old topic Next patch (referring to the 1.03 patch, already released except for non-US Xbox versions):
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Trust me, it's frustrating as hell for us too - I remember when we could build patches and release them the next day, allowing us to react very fast to whatever problems were encountered and quickly helping out if something went wrong. Now, for a million reasons, everything takes eternities before it gets from us to you.

If you needed to do something that would take a month (and delay other work), but you knew in 3 or 4 months you would have to do the entire thing over again (including the cost), would you do it now or wait?
Larian is continuing to optimize the game, make balancing changes and fix bugs in the main game as they are working on the add-on. In order to release a patch, they would have to finalize a version of the code to stop making feature changes to, and then start testing it (either instead of or parallel to work on the add-on and additional main game changes). Once they finish testing, that code has to go out to all the publishers to integrate into their versions, after which they would then need to test it using new and previous saves. At least some of the publishers use third party quality assurance companies to do some of the testing and support.
While faster patch releases would be nice, I can see where the publishers would want to wait until pretty much all the changes had been made and test everything at once.

While this bug can cause major problems, it has a very simple workaround to avoid it, if it occurs on your system...

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
It's already been 4 months. When is the expansion due, you said september? At that point it will have been nine months.

No, it's not OK that they haven't patched it. By doing so, they lost me as a customer and really as an advocate. After divinity1 I was a Larian fan. Not so much, now.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by ForkTong
Originally Posted by Rodalpho
Try quicksaving and reloading a couple of times inside and outside the barracks in the town just after farglow. It's easily reproducible for me, but doesn't literally happen every single time a savegame is overwritten.

It was indeed the quicksaving that made this reproducible. Thanks for reporting! Fixing!

you said "fixing" 3 months ago - so where is the fix?! its amazing there is so ctitical bug and it takes so long to fix it.

Last edited by huber; 30/04/10 12:31 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Is there a fix for this? I just bought the game yesterday and resumed my save from last night only to find I am stuck inside a farmhouse because there's no doors.

Support
Support

There has not been anything official mentioned about when the next patch will be released, but it is expected about the same time as the add-on (this 'summer').

Unfortunately, for now you may need to avoid the quicksave feature, at least indoors.

You could try emailing the save to support@larian.com, to get them to move your character outside (as long as no other buildings were affected, and you don't need to get back into that farmhouse). It would probably be faster, easier and safer to reload an earlier save though, or start over if you were only using the quicksave (and the last autosave doesn't help).

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Raze

There has not been anything official mention about when the next patch will be released, but it is expected about the same time as the add-on (this 'summer').

Unfortunately, for now you may need to avoid the quicksave feature, at least indoors.

You could try emailing the save to support@larian.com, to get them to move your character outside (as long as no other buildings were affected, and you don't need to get back into that farmhouse). It would probably be easier and safer to reload an earlier save though, or start over if you were only using the quicksave (and the last autosave doesn't help).

I don't much feel like playing worrying that I will put in many hours only to be screwed again. They got my 40 bucks, there's no way I will be buying an addon.

Imagine where Blizzard would be today if they only cared as much as this developer.

Support
Support

The add-on is not required to get the patch, but since they are likely being tested at the same time, the release dates will probably be similar.

You can avoid this bug by not quicksaving.

If you have a legal contract with a publisher stating the terms of the game and patch release process, how exactly do you extrapolate caring? Larian has released unofficial patches for previous games without support or resources from the publisher; if they were able to do so now I'm sure they would. If Larian had even a fraction of Blizzard's resources (even when they started) they would have much more control over publishing.

veteran
veteran
@Thicky
Have you tried contacting support@larian.com ?
As a developer you can’t just get a patch to the public. We would like to have it differently too. But Raze hits the nail in what he is writing, thank you Raze.

C
C
@ Thicky (regarding your second post)-- You mean the company that put full-stop on patching D2:LoD while they worked on fixing a hack (singular) for WoW and went seriously past deadline? You mean the very large company with a very large budget that has little interaction on the forums with the players? You mean the company that 'cares' far more for its online players than it offline players, "ripping off" the players who do only offline playing? The company that caters to snivels? That one? Go back to them, then.

As of this post, this thread alone has 4 postings by Larian staff-- a thread not started by staff. And as Lynn asked, have you tried emailing them? I had an issue with not being able to access these forums at one point, emailed, and had a response back from Larian (Lynn) within about 24-hours. That's more than just "on the ball" in my book--that's genuine caring for the fans/players! Never got that at the other company!

To all others, Raze mentions very good, insightful points. Aside from that, though, I must mention I didn't have any "door" problems when I played through TWICE. I never use quick save or quick load, as I've made a habit of doing periodic saves and utilizing every empty save slot. Given I've had few problems, and have played the game all the way through TWICE (w/ the 1.03 patch)-- and unlocked all but one "secret" achievement-- I'd follow the suggestion to maximize the many save slots provided. Doing this also allows for a slightly 'different' path to be chosen when used, such as adjusting character build, or re-rolling for different loot.

Larian has given good options when it comes to being able to map your keys and allowing for there to be more than one save game. Use the features provided, and perhaps there will be fewer problems until they are able to fix "everything." And really, nothing is ever fully "completed," at least, not in my experience. Can any one enlighten me as to a single game that was released without bugs or issues? Are there any games that have been out a year or more without any patches?

Part of life is there is usually a delay in gratification. Perhaps we could all remember, we have shortcomings because we're human. There are humans (and maybe some orcs, elves, or imps) working hard at Larian to give players a great game. They will make mistakes. I'm fairly certain they don't like being beat over the head about it, any more than anyone (including rude posters) else would like to be beat over the head for a mistake, fault, or shortcoming.

@ Raze-- Thanks for all the helpful information you post so that we can be more informed while playing the games, and for your positivity.

@ Lynn, Fork Tong, and the rest of the Larian gang: Thanks for your hard work. Remember, there's a few of us out here who are 'rooting' for you and are grateful for the work you do! Keep up the great work!

All best,
~~CierraShore

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by CierraShore
As of this post, this thread alone has 4 postings by Larian staff-- a thread not started by staff. And as Lynn asked, have you tried emailing them? I had an issue with not being able to access these forums at one point, emailed, and had a response back from Larian (Lynn) within about 24-hours. That's more than just "on the ball" in my book--that's genuine caring for the fans/players! Never got that at the other company!

This is some good stuff. Thanks for the laugh.

"Genuine caring" is all well and good, but they still haven't patched this broken game. I still haven't played it eight months later. It's sitting in the box waiting on a patch that never came.

Maybe they do genuinely care, and they feel bad about their buggy product and their inability to patch it. I hope they do feel guilty. They should. They ripped me off.

stranger
stranger
So I found a fix to the problem.... *slyface*
First off, you hold down the alt key, then you press F4.. Then after that you start up the program called Divinity II - Ego Draconis, and you click continue... I know I am quite the genius for figuring that one out aren't I, your $50 has been saved.

Edit: Added *slyface*

Last edited by SirTannen; 13/08/11 04:19 PM.

Signature: (up to 285 characters) You may use WAFFLECode in your signature.
stranger
stranger
I had this exact problem but i found a way to fix it. i managed to go into the secret passage that takes you to the barracks dungeon from the farm outside the village. When i got out all the doors were back. hope this helps

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard