Next Thread
Print Thread
G
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
G
[size:11pt]Dear larian
after being so harsh to you in my previous posts,i thought it would only be fair to apologize to you for what I said especially after enjoying your game.also,when raze told me to stop letting others decide for me what's good and bad in ego draconis and instead make my own review at http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=22498&Number=400899#Post400899 ,i thought to myself: “he's right,he makes sense.”so I went ahead and bought ego draconis; and let me just tell you this, I played it nearly non-stop for a week now,and believe me I don't play most of my games that feverishly.
Here are,what I believe,ego draconis' good and bad points:

Good points
1)challenging difficulty and the variety of tasks to do:yes,you made it larian,you actually made a game that doesn't repetitively make you do the same type of quests over and over again; and no the game wasn't completely impossible to beat,but enjoyably challenging(if you WISELY choose your skill points). Well, I admit though, I resorted to cheap tactics to win the game's final battle eek
2)amazing graphics:the character and environment details are just awesome,makes me wish I lived inside ego draconis(LOL).
3)voice acting:the voice acting is amazing, the characters successfully “conveyed” their personalities through their voice acting; a task that is-VERY-rarely achieved by most rpg games nowadays.by the way,barmaid elsa is HOT;damn you larian!!

Bad points
1)the shallowness of ego draconis' storyline:i'm sorry,but yes,it IS shallow,to an extent. in ANY game,the depth of its storyline is determined by two things, the length and depth of interaction between the game's protagonist and his/her enemies/friends. Yes,talana speaks to you often throughout the game,but you don't see her or actively interact with her,just hear her voices in your head. Similarly,damian appears thrice in cut scenes to you,but those are about it!!you don't actively interact with him(make decisive decisions with/against him and/or fight him). To further clarify my argument(and I apologize for making comparisons to other games here)consider dragon age:where the game's protagonist argues with the game antagonist(loghain)at the lands meet and fights him in the end. Or in elder scrolls:oblivion where you repeatedly interact face-to-face with the emperor/cyrodil's savior/emperor dragon until you see him defeating the arch demon in the end; or how,again, repeatedly interact face-to-face with that creepy representative from the assassin’s guild only to witness his execution in the end. After experiencing such engaging storylines,ego draconis DID have had serious deficiencies in terms of the depth of its storyline.
2)the music:where is divine divinity's tantalizing and meaning-full(yes,pun intended here) music that made me love listening to it-even in my car-since its launch 8 years ago? Ego draconis' music is,primarily,merely composed of short tracks(maybe 30 seconds or so)that repeat itself endlessly in the course of your expeditions and quests.where are divine divinity's “Sighs of the Elvenkind”, or “A Wind of Aleroth”, or ”Old Rivertown”, or “Suffering and Shame”?? C'MON KIRILL,you know what i'm talking about!!these aforementioned tracks TRULY made you “feel” the environments and moments of the game!!

overall,i lOVED ego draconis,and I promise to buy “flames of vengeance” soon(by the way,cool name).if you agree with my review,please pay heed to it(just because i'm a loyal fan,i'm not implying anything else)and THANK YOU larian for mesmerizing us with your great games!!
regards,omar
[/size] wave

Last edited by grandia01; 01/09/10 09:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Hi Omar,

nice to see you're changed and have the courage to confess your previous "letting others decide for me what's good and bad in ego draconis" wasn't the way you wish all goes on further ... I appreciate this. smile

What you say about the music: yeah, to be honest, I find the DD music still better, but Ego Draconis is another game and the music is good, very good in some areas !! But that's my opinion wink

I love the voice and comments of Talana! Fun and humor is very good in Ego Draconis biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Glad to see you gave it a shot and that you had fun! The test is in the tasting as they say, and if you liked the main course that is Ego Draconis, you'll love the dessert that is Flames of Vengeance! kitty

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
old hand
old hand
Ahh.
I remember you :o

stranger
stranger
Just a little something:
It's normal if you don't interact with Damian or Talara (you did interact with her when you become a dragon knight).
Damian is a way too powerful for you (you really can't kill him, just don't think about it), so he don't really care about you. That's ok, why a pitiful lizard will make the damned one swing his sword? (did he have a sword?...)
For Talara it make sense too, she's dead, cold and dead... And you interact with her in the end... Even if a lot of people dislike that interaction.

The game don't seem deep or something like that but it's because he's between realistic and gaming. You can't really do a purely realistic game (it's a simulation and very, very, very hard to play... Just try to imagine if you're killed by only one shot in the head...) So it's playable.
But the game is realistic too. A lot of "world's rules" are present. So in the end the world is credible and playable, the story too, that's the matter.

In truth if you live in the game and absolutely free to do whatever you want, just try to imagine how many time you'll live? The bounds of that game are just here for keep it credible (make the character's past credible too) AND playable. Too many freedom will surely broke the game's story. wink

Come from the flames, burn in the fame.
A
veteran
veteran
A
All Divinity games have always had a strong focus on exploration of areas. That's one of their strong points.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard