Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#422811 23/10/10 11:32 AM
Imarion Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
Which kind of DRM will DKS use ?

Is there any kind of internet activation or limited number of installs ?

I just bought a game that requires steam (I didn't check requirements before buying mad) and now I'm stuck with steam which I completely hate and avoided until now.

And from now on I will check before buying, lesson is learned.
I'm from Belgium, this may be of importance.

Imarion

Last edited by Imarion; 23/10/10 11:33 AM.
Support
Support

The retail version of D2:ED used Securom, with just a disk check (no online activation required or limited installs, etc). I doubt DKS would use a much more restrictive copy protection system, though that is usually up to the publisher (Lar mentioned making sure they would have more freedom to release patches for FoV/DKS, if required, when negotiating those deals, so they could have made sure they would have a say in copy protection, as well).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Let me guess... Fallout 3: New vegas?

That is why I haven't bought it. frown I was looking so forward to it, but I don't have internet at home. not reliable at least... I can hop on an unsecure wireless in the neighborhood...

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
Imarion Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Raze

Thanks smile

Well I have no problem with Securom or similar DRM. Great news then smile

Originally Posted by Phalzyr
Let me guess... Fallout 3: New vegas?

Exact. Actually I wanted to avoid making advertisement for one game on another's developer forum.
Hope it is ok.
I did not buy Half Life 2 at the time because of steam although I was a very big fan of HL1. Same for Dawn of War 2. I have the 1st with all its extensions.

I have a good and permanent internet connection, but wondering what you do if for any reason Steam (or any other) closes its service ? No possibility any more to activate your game.

Imarion

old hand
old hand
IF the developer is still alive, they will probably have a DRM removal patch for their game on their website. If the developer is out of business the current DRM technology will be so obsolete that a simple program can remove the DRM. DRM technology might last a day or two before a workaround is available.

With that said, if you like those games you need to support the developer and buy them.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Imarion Offline OP
OP Offline
Can someone confirm DKS will actually have the same securom DRM than D2:ED ?

Thanks,
Imarion

I want to buy from Gamersgate where it states the DRM will be securom. Does that mean that I will not be able to download the game, but instead have to wait for the dvd to arrive by mail?

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Support
Support

Assuming their listing is accurate (and this close to release that is probably a safe assumption), you will not need a DVD to play Gamersgate's download version. There are a variety of implementations of Securom's copy protection, and the download market is too large for them not to make sure their software is compatible.

Thank you. wink

That is good news, the reason I prefer buying from places such as Gamersgate is to avoid having a dvd rattling around in my drive all the time, sometimes making strange noises that make you think your computer is about to blow up. laugh

old hand
old hand
Best way to tell before hand if your computer is going to physically explode is when you get a message saying "Windows needs to restart to install an update." Then you need to get the bomb squad asap. It will be as bad as a furnace explosion.

For some reason most cases happen on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. And sometimes the last Tuesday.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Best way to tell before hand if your computer is going to physically explode is when you get a message saying "Windows needs to restart to install an update." Then you need to get the bomb squad asap. It will be as bad as a furnace explosion.

For some reason most cases happen on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. And sometimes the last Tuesday.

grin grin grin confused

Originally Posted by LightningLockey
"Windows needs to restart to install an update."

laugh that is both funny and sparks memories. As a computer tech I've seen machines stop functioning simply because they did a windows update.

I prefer DRM that does simple Disk Check, then you can remove, scheem. It stops piracy as much as all others out there and is far less intrusive. Internet required to install a game is problematic for me, only one of my pcs can get online and that is even very unreliable. I can't afford DSL or Cable or even Dial up right now...

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
enthusiast
enthusiast
Other than disc checks, the next least annoying DRM is Game Object Obfuscation. It was/is used by the Impulse version of Ego Draconis.

stranger
stranger
Agree with you Gwenio. I do most of my online game purchasing with Impulse and am always happy when a game uses GOO. No hassles, no fuss.

Got D2:ED there and will (hopefully) get DKS there too. Only reason I might not is if the Larian store has something similar DRM wise. Although I'd look at the Larian store first simply to support the dev's smile

I'm a fervent hater of Securom since it forced me to reformat a coupe of years ago, and the whole limited installs/No revocation thing.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
DRM never really bothers me because if the publisher is still around they will keep the servers up and give you more activations, and if the publisher is not around anymore then no one will mind the DRM removal cracks being made public and easy to obtain.

On the PC DRM is kind of not an issue because it is an open platform. Now a console game with DRM, a closed system, is a much bigger deal and I will never support DRM on console games.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Paris
Thank you. wink

That is good news, the reason I prefer buying from places such as Gamersgate is to avoid having a dvd rattling around in my drive all the time, sometimes making strange noises that make you think your computer is about to blow up. laugh

If you're buying a game-to-download, the DRM is usually online activation required through some server.
Sometimes, install limits are actually involved.

EDIT:
Divinity 2: DKS Edition from Steam looks like it has Securom Internet DRM w/ a limit of 5 installs.

Last edited by MysterD; 04/11/10 09:51 PM.
Imarion Offline OP
OP Offline
My original question was for the disc version.

Addition: is there a limited number of installs and/or internet activation even for the disk version ?

Imarion

Last edited by Imarion; 04/11/10 10:54 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Imarion
My original question was for the disc version.

Addition: is there a limited number of installs and/or internet activation even for the disk version ?

Imarion

You might want to add that to your opening post, to make things easy on Larian and the dev's so they don't gotta' wade through posts to notice what version you meant. smile

Imarion Offline OP
OP Offline
Good suggestion but I can't edit my original post any more.

Imarion

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Imarion
Good suggestion but I can't edit my original post any more.

Imarion

Why won't they let you edit it? frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard