Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#423502 05/11/10 07:24 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hello. I bought DKS today from Steam and upon Installing it i started it to play but Alas theres a big problem for me. the characters and the World in general wont show, all i get is a black screen but i can see the mini-map and the windows tho ..... this is very weird! i tried to play with the various Video options but nothing works! i can see the Cinematics fine tho but as soon that i start playing i cant see the world at all. anyone got ideas what could be the problem? My video card is a Geforce Gts 250 and i play under Vista 64x

enthusiast
enthusiast
Use this forum mate.

old hand
old hand
Can you please try switching of HDR in the graphic settings to see if it shows then ? Also, can you please try putting the graphic settings on low to see if that makes a difference (and putting your resolution as low as possible). Then, if that works, try gradually increasing the settings to see what is the culprit. We haven't observed this type of behavior before so we're trying to figure out what's causing it.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
thank you for your time. As of now im trying different things to see if it solve the problem. playing with the options like you suggested didn not work however. im currently reinstalling all the drivers i have like my graphic card drivers to see if it might help

old hand
old hand
If that doesn't help, could you please send your dxdiag information to support@larian.com ?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
i will do just that. After reinstalling Graphic drivers and latest Visual C++ i can now see something but its incredibly messed up. Characters and the worlds in general is very weird (kind of blurry a bit transparent too like i can see right thru stuff as if they were ghosts). hopefully with myDxdiag tech support can find out something .... ultimately ill maybe try to reinstall the game to see if it clears it but thats alot of data to re-download id prefer not to

Support
Support

You should be able to re-install the game without having to re-download it (assuming you still have the original download).

Try running the game as administrator, and in the compatibility options for the program/shortcut, disable desktop composition.

[PC] Support FAQ - The Dragon Knight Saga

or check the older D2:ED topics

First Aid Kit for Divinity II

First Aid : when Div2 does not start or crashes

P
stranger
stranger
P
I have the exact same problem as the OP. I've tried all the solutions above but did not help.

Ill send in my dxdiag too.

Edit: I've tried verifying the integreity of the steam cache, it finds 1 file wrong and download that fast. Did not help though, tried two times, 1 file both times, still no luck.

Last edited by PzyCow; 05/11/10 08:45 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
OK here how the problems end. I completely desinstalled and reinstalled the game since i couldnt find another working solution. It seems to be working properly now with all graphics at the maximum. Some files probably got corrupted while installing that is my guess. thank you everyone that replied for your time and advices smile

P
stranger
stranger
P
Ok here is how the problem ended for me, not the same as quazar12.

After reinstalling newest ati drivers i went into the game to mess around with the gfx settings, the first thing i did was to deselect "user interface in desktop resolution" change resolution to 1680x1050 and set Quality to low. This worked and i could now see the world.

I put it back to extreame quality now and it still works.

Last edited by PzyCow; 05/11/10 11:45 PM.
Support
Support

Thanks both for the feedback; hopefully it will help if anyone else runs into this problem.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard