Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#424895 09/11/10 11:07 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
It's difficulty even on easy level is overly brutal. HP and Mana regen is ridiculously slow...you basically have to do what you did in Diablo, buy a ton of overpriced healing potions and just keep hitting them during combat to survive. The armor I have just before I got teh dragon stone is only a little better than when I started the game.

The first dragon transformation battle is brutally insane. Not to mention laughable story points, and main villan that seems to get everywhere he wants but doesn't kill you on the spot even tho he could and he should. Really bad AI in places.

It's a nice world but this game has so many little flaws...if the health regen and mana regen weren't so god awful slow (i mean almost 200g for healing potions? hell, can afford to buy anything else but potions that get used up completely withing 10 minutes of buying them. Often times there is never enough time for potions to heal you enough to keep you from dying.

This is a piss poor RPG when it comes to game mechanics, combat, and fair play. Definite a waste of 30 bucks. I certainly WON'T buy the expansion, especially since I paid 30 bucks for this and the expansion is 20 meaning I'd be paying 50 bucks for something you can buy all in one shot for 40? Bad and stupid business practices too.

This game is all around one big disaster. I though it would be cool to play a dragon, but christ the first time you get to be on you're under a relentless assault from bugs and turrets that blast the hell out of you before you even get close...and try to hide and the shots they fire go through walls and rocks..wish mine would.

Sorry, but I wont ever buy another of your games, this one is so flawed and you have the audacity to release an expansion and not fix what's wrong with the original. What a bunch of BS.

enthusiast
enthusiast
After the Battle Tower, you can get unlimited healing/mana potions (it just takes time)... though regenerating becomes less of an issue later in the game. Did you invest in stats (and later skills) that help regain health/mana?

Support
Support

I had plenty of potions from loot or alchemy. Healing was slow at the very beginning of the game, but like Gwenio said, boosting strength helps with that, and there are Regeneration and Life Leech skills (the latter useful for melee characters). At level 15 level 1 of the healing spell becomes available, which can cut down on your potion requirements, as could the Potion Efficiency skill. At about level 12 you have access to an enchanter and have probably bought a couple malachite gems you could use for healing auras on jewelry.

I upgraded my armour multiple times before getting the battle tower.

Most people that had trouble with the first dragon battle did much better with a bit of advice on strategy (learning Dragon Spirit, etc). Leveling in the fjords first could make that battle much, much easier.

The villain needed you alive for a reason.
Patriarch refused to open a portal into the Hall of Echoes for him; the only way he could get there was to follow you, and try to reach Ygerna before you.

There is a patch in the works to convert D2:ED into the equivalent of DKS (minus the FoV section), which, among other things, makes the game much easier.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Drachehexe
It's difficulty even on easy level is overly brutal. HP and Mana regen is ridiculously slow...you basically have to do what you did in Diablo, buy a ton of overpriced healing potions and just keep hitting them during combat to survive. The armor I have just before I got teh dragon stone is only a little better than when I started the game.

The first dragon transformation battle is brutally insane. Not to mention laughable story points, and main villan that seems to get everywhere he wants but doesn't kill you on the spot even tho he could and he should. Really bad AI in places.

It's a nice world but this game has so many little flaws...if the health regen and mana regen weren't so god awful slow (i mean almost 200g for healing potions? hell, can afford to buy anything else but potions that get used up completely withing 10 minutes of buying them. Often times there is never enough time for potions to heal you enough to keep you from dying.

This is a piss poor RPG when it comes to game mechanics, combat, and fair play. Definite a waste of 30 bucks. I certainly WON'T buy the expansion, especially since I paid 30 bucks for this and the expansion is 20 meaning I'd be paying 50 bucks for something you can buy all in one shot for 40? Bad and stupid business practices too.

This game is all around one big disaster. I though it would be cool to play a dragon, but christ the first time you get to be on you're under a relentless assault from bugs and turrets that blast the hell out of you before you even get close...and try to hide and the shots they fire go through walls and rocks..wish mine would.

Sorry, but I wont ever buy another of your games, this one is so flawed and you have the audacity to release an expansion and not fix what's wrong with the original. What a bunch of BS.

After many years of writing and playing DND modules, and MMOs, my thoughts after playing this game thru chapter one (battle tower) is that LS hired immature just-graduated from game programming school kids to write the quests and name the population. I could have done better with pencil and paper, its not rocket science, really its not! Altering the spelling of name like Mocha Dick? That dev needs to go back to playing WoW, whoever did that to this nice game needs to get back on the shortbus. Half of a famous story is really bad idea and subject to a lot more criticism then others.

Chapter 2, after beating Battle Tower, is when things change but those towers need to have a max range on them lowered a lot. While hovering (as dragon) over the "peanut isle" and getting hit was the most retarded thing ever. I could not see where the hell the hits were coming from, the little black dots in the water, omfg the implied distance was horrendous ... who is thge jack-wagon who coded that piece of combat? Take their butt back to school and teach that (insert extremely offensive expletive here) how to fight for real, then come back and redo all that code. This isnt WOW.

Last edited by Dahbee; 10/11/10 04:39 AM.

Greetings Traveller, care for a can of whoopass?
M
addict
addict
M
Game ain't awful. You just don't like the way it's been made. Other people (like myself) love all those ideas you hate.

And found the game easy.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Grow a pair man, the game is easy enough. As for Damien not killing your character after you get your dragon knight powers, i guess he's just too amused by the very idea of a dragon slayer turned dragon knight to do this right away. At that particular point your character is a worm to him that he could crush any second he wants. Why do something, that dragon slayers will want to do anyway and engage their attention in the process?

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Dahbee
That dev needs to go back to playing WoW, whoever did that to this nice game needs to get back on the shortbus.

Ego Draconis is ACTION-rpg, not MMO-rpg. Different gameplay. Trying to play one the way you would play the other won't take you far.

Originally Posted by Dahbee

While hovering (as dragon) over the "peanut isle" and getting hit was the most retarded thing ever. I could not see where the hell the hits were coming from, the little black dots in the water, omfg the implied distance was horrendous ... who is thge jack-wagon who coded that piece of combat? Take their butt back to school and teach that (insert extremely offensive expletive here) how to fight for real, then come back and redo all that code. This isnt WOW.

Indeed. Getting hit is the most retarded thing ever.
Playing as a dragon you have 3 dimensionnal movement, use it. Most ennemies shoot in straight lines.
So just evade stuff. Like you just said, this isn't WoW, it's Divinity2.

PS : there are reasons why Damian never kills the character, reason you learn at the end of Divinity2.

Last edited by melianos; 10/11/10 01:05 PM.
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Ego Draconis is ACTION-rpg, not MMO-rpg. Different gameplay. Trying to play one the way you would play the other won't take you far.

Odd you say that since it has the action bar, the special abilities that you use outside of you standard "normal" attack, with various cool downs included. Pretty much ideas completely stolen from WoW.

Playing as a dragon you have 3 dimensionnal movement,

While you can move in 3 dimensions you can ONLY mover forward and side to side. There is no up or down movement unless you are moving forward at the same time, yet the dragon can hover. That's a terrible design mistake, if the dragon can hover it should be able to move up and down independently of forward movement.

There is a patch in the works to convert D2:ED into the equivalent of DKS (minus the FoV section), which, among other things, makes the game much easier.

I searched everywhere to see if they were going to make the graphics upgrade and fixes available to original owners and not just people who buy the expansion. Thanks, you have given me hope.

Still, as it stands right now this game is at best "mediocre".

M
addict
addict
M

Odd you say that since it has the action bar, the special abilities that you use outside of you standard "normal" attack, with various cool downs included. Pretty much ideas completely stolen from WoW.

You must be quite young.
WoW did not invent anything and "stole" (you can find the wheel only once, you know ?) all the ideas from other games (Everquest mostly). Action bars existed before WoW. Abilities with cooldowns too.

For 3D moves, yeah, would be better if we could simply move up and down (but many birds can't fly up without going forward).

journeyman
journeyman
When someone says that this game is awful I feel really sorry that this person can't enjoy the game. Yeah I felt that game is a bit tough when I was level 2. I have to come out clean and tell you that I cheated and gave myself 10.000 gold. BUT, I've only spent 2K and I wiped the whole starting arean around the village, did every side quest and ended up with enough potions and food to regenerate my mana and health.

I didn't spend a single cent on any potion. I got them all from opening the chests and breaking destructible buckets and boxes.

FOOD and DRINKS regenerate your mana and health BTW. But if you just follow the main story line - yeah you're looking into some face beating against the wall. Not gonna be as easy to complete the main story line without doing side quests. This is RPG, its not a linear game like Force Unleashed 2 where you just whack your lightsaber around and go from level to level. RPGs need to be explored not rushed through the main story line.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by Dragomist; 12/11/10 03:40 PM.
addict
addict
"This game is awesome."

Fixed for the truth.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Dragomist
When someone says that this game is awful I feel really sorry that this person can't enjoy the game. Yeah I felt that game is a bit tough when I was level 2. I have to come out clean and tell you that I cheated and gave myself 10.000 gold. BUT, I've only spent 2K and I wiped the whole starting arean around the village, did every side quest and ended up with enough potions and food to regenerate my mana and health.

I didn't spend a single cent on any potion. I got them all from opening the chests and breaking destructible buckets and boxes.

FOOD and DRINKS regenerate your mana and health BTW. But if you just follow the main story line - yeah you're looking into some face beating against the wall. Not gonna be as easy to complete the main story line without doing side quests. This is RPG, its not a linear game like Force Unleashed 2 where you just whack your lightsaber around and go from level to level. RPGs need to be explored not rushed through the main story line.

Just my 2c.

I've been playing computer RPG's since they first came out for 8 bit systems (C64, Atari 800). I know how to "complete" the story and do every side quest. In all of the starting area destroying every breakable I found and exploring every nook and cranny and ever side quest the number of healing potions and mana potions were no where close to enough to support what was needed. And the fight a group of monsters and then wait 10 minutes for health and mana to be restored was really really wasting time.

If you take away the mechanics or the game it's pretty damn good...nice graphics, nice environments, some pretty good story devices....but the combat and mechanixs are brutally unbalanced and the rewards are not on par with the difficulty. I don't expect it to be easy by any means, just fair..and this game is not.

M
addict
addict
M
the number of healing potions and mana potions were no where close to enough to support what was needed. And the fight a group of monsters and then wait 10 minutes for health and mana to be restored was really really wasting time.

If you take away the mechanics or the game it's pretty damn good...nice graphics, nice environments, some pretty good story devices....but the combat and mechanixs are brutally unbalanced and the rewards are not on par with the difficulty. I don't expect it to be easy by any means, just fair..and this game is not.

Play on easy then. I am by no means an progamer, and on Normal I found the game to be too easy.
I am merely guessing, but I believe you don't use dodging, which is vital especially if you play a warrior. With a pure warrior, I found the beginning to be hard, it got easier later on (once you get the BattleTower).

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Play on easy then.

In the very FIRST sentence of my complaint I said it was on easy.

Dodge would be nice but it doesn't work. I assumed it was one of those things they put in the manual that they wanted to put in the game but it never made it. I would LOVE to be able to have some sort of counter measure to an enemy attack.

addict
addict

I've been playing computer RPG's since they first came out for 8 bit systems (C64, Atari 800).

I hear this far too often. I find the whole "I'm an experienced gamer" argument to be rather weak.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I hear this far too often. I find the whole "I'm an experienced gamer" argument to be rather weak.

Your statement in and of itself is weak. You fail to back it up with an explanation of why you think so. Most likely because you are unqualified to judge the value of the statement "experienced gamer".

You apparently just want to be the "fanboy" and insult everyone who disagrees with you. So be it. By doing so you prove that your opinion holds little value if any.

The truth to you may be the game is awesome and that is fine, that is your opinion to keep. Insulting me just because I disagree with you (or perhaps because I have a significantly longer history of playing RPG's than you) will certainly not in the slightest change my opinion.

My critique of the game is fair and just. Your critique of me, however, is not and in the end really doesn't belong in the forum anyway because we aren't talking about me, we are talking about the game.

But please feel free to dedicate an entire forum to me if you must. If disliking me because I dislike some things about a game you think is perfect then I am all for it.

And in your own words from another thread in this forum (see the "Panties in a Twist" thread in the Divinity II Dragonknight Saga section)you stated "ED was pretty unbalanced when it came to difficulty."

Hmm, my main complaint is how unbalanced it is in difficulty. So what exactly is your point?

Last edited by Drachehexe; 15/11/10 06:04 AM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Well, then let me back up his comment of people who claim to be an experience RPG player, weak. And I'll back it up as such: I'm 28. I'm in school to design computer electronics. I've been playing video games since I was 3. I've played everything from CRPG's based on DnD, all the way to easier, more casual games like Fable and Fallout 3. You name it, I've played it.

Now, let's be civil here, and just take a good read Drachehexe

This game isn't meant to be easy. It's not designed to hold your hand like Oblivion and WoW, and the lot of other RPG's that have failed to be a true RPG. Each game has it's own gameplay mechanics, which means there is a slight learning curve, and therefore, you must take the time to understand that curve. Take, for example, the major design differences between Gothic 2 and then Gothic 3. The game was ridiculously streamline to appeal to a larger audience, and the combat system, in many eyes, suffered horribly when the developers made that design choice. Some things were improved, yes, but others were stripped out. It's the same when looking at The Elder Scrolls series of games. The transition from Daggerfall to Morrowind, as far as gameplay mechanics were concerned destroyed a lot of things people took pride in understanding - and to further that, the system was streamlined even moreso from Morrowind to Oblivion. Anyways.

Divinity II is a solid action-RPG. If you don't understand how to build your character around your particular play-style, then it might not be the game for you.

Perhaps I can put it this way. I enjoy ranged DPS characters when I play RPG's. A lot of the time, these builds will generally lack a sufficient amount of Vitality/Strength points, and therefore, I look for item buffs which help supplement that area. That way, when I level my character, I can freely input the stats necessary for the main build of my character. Not everyone will agree with that particular logic to character-building, but it works for me. I've died once playing Divinity II on Normal, and that's because I ended up upsetting too many characters and learned my mob limit is held to 5. If you'd like help building your character so you feel your money isn't 'wasted' just ask. It doesn't hurt even for the 'seasoned' veteran to get help.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Well, first this game doesn't offer my particular play style. No stealth, no sneak attacks, no back stabs or pocket picking. An rpg without a rogue, go figure.

Also, the concept of an RPG is that the outcome of any particular challenge should be based on the skills of the character, not the player. The assumption that ever player has the reflexes of a teenager is a grave one. I actually went back and tried a combat on all three difficulty levels. There was no difference in their outcome for the most part. Easy level was just as hard to beat as normal or hard. I found no difference between damage done to them or to me.

I can only assume that that is a flaw in the difficulty slider. The game is locked in the difficulty setting in which I started the game. I would have to adjust the setting to easy 1st I think (tho I haven't tested it yet) then start a new game. However, I really not willing to go through all that again when an upgrade is slated to be released.

B
stranger
stranger
B
There are dynamics implemented within each RPG-styled game, and each will have their weaknesses and strengths. The developers probably based their end-content around the idea that this game really doesn't require any form of stealth gameplay. However, with that said, under the Ranger Skillset, there is an option to input skill points which allows you to get closer to your enemies while a bow is drawn. With that said, it is very easy to get extremely close to these enemies, but it is an absolutely pointless skill unless you have spent points in other parts of the Ranger Skillset to make the bow a more damaging weapon - in which case, there's no reason to get close to your enemy when that is done.

I can only imagine that skill is included for those who don't actually want to increase the Ranger Skillset and see it as a device to get closer to an enemy when they're apart from the mob.

I agree with your sentiment on what the concept of an RPG 'should' be, but all new RPG's don't follow that concept anymore, especially those which are action based RPG's. I mean, would you really consider being a thief in a game when you don't even need to worry about sneaking around? The last game I played where sneaking was even necessary was Splinter Cell. And even then, you didn't need to sneak in that game.

Sad times these are. For what Div II is though, it's definitely worth the money to me, as for this particular franchise and how it's been adapted, I'm happy enough with it.

M
addict
addict
M

Also, the concept of an RPG is that the outcome of any particular challenge should be based on the skills of the character, not the player. The assumption that ever player has the reflexes of a teenager is a grave one.

It's an action-rpg. So your reflexes are meant to matter somewhat.
Still, you can always pause the game in fights between actions (But I suppose that would be quite boring).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard