Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lynn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The X360 critics on Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

UK Newspaper The Guardian has a game's blog in which the author discusses what he's been playing over the weekend.

This weekend The Dragon Knight Saga made it to his console and these are his impressions:

"This is a beautiful role playing game which encourages exploration and experimentation while keeping you at least interested in the main plot"

and

"From what I've seen so far this could well end up being a cult hit on the 360."

Alriiight!! cheer

journeyman
journeyman
Agreed smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by lynn

"From what I've seen so far this could well end up being a cult hit on the 360."

Alriiight!! cheer

As long as the cult does not have sacred cows, that is good news.

smile

With any luck some reviews for Divinity II DKS will make it in December's Magazines across the UK and spread the word that it's 'thee' must have RPG of 2010/2011, move over Fable! wink

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
smile

With any luck some reviews for Divinity II DKS will make it in December's Magazines across the UK and spread the word that it's 'thee' must have RPG of 2010/2011, move over Fable! wink

In regard to Fable, I really hope that something out does it to the point that they go back and work on the Black and White series.

Yeah it's all money, money, money with Fable. Download the app, buy the MS phone, grab 101 downloadable items and we will give you half a game that would run on an original xbox 180. Over hyped and trying to hold on to something that never existed, or rather capture the left overs of 90's be it Sega, Nintendo or Sony related style of gaming.

Never played Black'n'White. Was going to be released on Dreamcast but never made it.

For every mass marketed pile of hyped tripe that lasts mere hours it's times like these and even a year ago with the original Ego Draconis you can only say:

THANK THE MAKERS for Divinity!! celebrate

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master

Never played Black'n'White. Was going to be released on Dreamcast but never made it.

So far as I know, Black and White is for PC only. So far as I know, it is the only game where you literally play (a) god. To bad they have, in the past, not been given the time and money to do it right (and the fact that number 2 iwas intended and could have a far better game is very obvious once you start righting event scripts for custom maps) by EA.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
The game is not for the Fable crowd at all, and will have a really hard time catching even a fairly small segment of that audience.
If anything it's probably more for the Fallout crowd, although the fantasy setting can be divisive among console gamers, especially when it comes down to hyping an independent IP.

Not being a very experienced role player, I was shocked at how punishing even the smallest level gap between you and enemies can be in Divinity II.
This forces you to proceed in a very methodical manner and do a lot of level grinding or else you are gonna get your ass handed to you.

Despite being set in a vaguely similar fantasy world, Fable couldn't be farther away from Divinity II in its approach.
Fable is all about accessibility and easing your steps.

Even though I find Fable quite dull and simple myself, as an adventure gamer, I was initially very taken aback by Divinity II's level grinding.
So I can't imagine how somebody whose RPG standards are defined by Fable would feel playing the game.

Last edited by masa2009; 16/11/10 01:37 AM.
old hand
old hand
The Fable series are over hyped and Fallout is pretty much like Oblivion but more of a shooter with a smaller world. All are over hyped. Divinity II - in my opinion would appeal to people who liked Two Worlds, Neverwinter Nights and perhaps the Gothic series. Even Diablo fans would like Divinity II, after all, it actually provides you with challenges throughout the game and plenty of loot and hacking and slashing and exploration. Unlike Oblivion, enemies don't level up with you and have preset levels and thus provide you with a challenge for a long time, then after many hours of game play when you reach the flying fortresses and can kill everyone with ease - you actually feel that you've built your dragon knight up from nothing which most old RP games are about. Going from a lv 1 character who can easily be killed at times to becoming this strong character who can kill people with one hit.

So I agree with you masa2009, someone's whose RPG standards were made and defined by Fable or Fallout (my opinion) wouldn't exactly be appealed to this sort of game. Thankfully, many are appealed by games like this.

veteran
veteran
I don't play Fable 3 or Fallout NV, not because they're over hyped (but they're :hihi: ), but because both can't take my attention. Fable 3 isn't for me a real RPG (more an adventure) and further on I don't like shooter games ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
H
stranger
stranger
H
What I think you guys are missing about Fable is that the Original and its Expansion (Lost Chapters)was an awesome game the last two in the series have been such a huge departure from the Original there no longer in the same vein IMO.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by lynn
The X360 critics on Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

UK Newspaper The Guardian has a game's blog in which the author discusses what he's been playing over the weekend.

This weekend The Dragon Knight Saga made it to his console and these are his impressions:

"This is a beautiful role playing game which encourages exploration and experimentation while keeping you at least interested in the main plot"

and

Alriiight!! cheer

Well he's spot on but for me anyway the game was already a cult hit & I am the leader ofmy own little Divinity world BOW B4 THE DRAGON

Woops wrong world lol

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 17/11/10 10:07 PM.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard