Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
How's the end fight?

I read the following on another forum:

OK, finished. I missed a bit the exploration of Div2, since almost the whole game takes place in Aleroth. Otherwise, not bad. Certainly without any tedious areas like the flying fortresses.

After being a cakewalk for the whole game the combat became extremely difficult for the endfight vs Ygerna. Holy shit. I had hit the cap for stats like INT, DEX. (with equipment) I had 66% (the max) in all resistances, 75% (the max) in all saving throws (or whatever that was) and yet this stupid chick would finish me off within a second. Drinking potions - the most important tactic available to you. And she had like 20000 HP, at the very least. What a cheese.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
More challenging than the other fights I would say but not too hard. Her AI is not really amazing... She is immune to cursing though whihc I find incredibly annoying. Nothing I hate more than cheating bosses.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Silverdragon
I just hope stuff like that does not lead to more people being annoyed with you and this "We are so elite and now stop whining about our cool, totally unbalanced final fights that take 10 attempts and lots of frustration to complete" attitude (you also did it in Divinity 2 where you just put some final boss there that did 10 times more damage than anyone else and thought it was a cool, thrilling thing).

I really do not get how people who make such awesome games (I really mean this!) can be so bad about balancing them. Balance has been an issue in Divine Divinity, Divinity 2 (the beginning super hard, near the end way too easy to the point where the enemies in the last 20% of the game could not even damage you anymore!), and now this (or the respawn rates, ...). I'm plainly not getting it.

The only viable explanation that comes to my mind is that the dog mentioned earlier is responsible for the balance. wink

Personally I love this type of "balance" I like to feel all my hard work has payed off and that my character truly has become stronger then any other. It makes more sense to me then starting off strong and still being beat down at the end after all that experience. If you think about it logically the "boss" is sitting around eating cake telling his lackeys to get things done all the while you are on a quest to become strong enough to beat not only him but the many forces he commands.

Last edited by Gavin Hawk; 09/11/10 11:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
"The only viable explanation that comes to my mind is that the dog mentioned earlier is responsible for the balance."

Literally ROFL smile I had actually read over that one.

And he was, in more ways than you can imagine.

old hand
old hand
You can find some of the origins of Larian here: http://web.archive.org/web/19981205212704/http://www.larian.com/

W
stranger
stranger
W
ok. so i am a bit disapointed in the final batle. I was hoping to fight an extraordinary large demon Damian. but thats that. and it didn't show were damian had gone to and what is he planing. about the rest....... AN EXELENT MADE GAME.

W
stranger
stranger
W
virumor what happened to u means that u don't know how to play this game. meaning if u are a fighter u invest the most in strenght and melee resistence and so on. and being a mage or an archer u have to keep distance or u are dead before it even starts. I made the final batle in 1 shot. i only tried it 1 time and I won.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Well, just finished FoV here, and I have to say the entire expansion was very well made.

About the final mission, though...Played through and finished it my very first try on the normal difficulty.

The trick to doing it is to rush AHEAD of the zeppelin: do not stick to it. Take out the ballista towers in two fire spheres, save your ultimate attack for those islands with a spawner/lightning tower in the middle and aim it at the middle, that should destroy everything around it. Once you get the zeppelin bombardment ability you can go ahead and use that on lone ballista towers, or use it on a spawner to leave it at about 5% of it's health so you can easily finish it with a fire sphere. Use your friend whenever possible and save your fire breath for any flyers. You need to conserve your mana so you can destroy the towers long before the zeppelin gets to them.

As for the final fight, it was really the only fight that could hurt my character in foV. But even then once I stopped being perma-stunned by magic blast/polymorph i was able to finish the fight in about 5 seconds. Of course, my character was about level 43, had 100 strength and vit, and was using the Tiger Bite sword with a legendary shield. I crammed the sword with +100 physical and magical damage enchantments as well as a +9% critical rate enchantment on it.

Overkill? Yes. But after the final fight in the original ED I didn't want to take any chances smile

P
stranger
stranger
P
Seriously, the difficulty level went from pretty easy to wow this is pretty tough....but only for that last mission.

The thing is this; that single mission (my only deaths of the entire expansion) is drastically over-tuned. It seems to me that you guys may have approached the calibration of the mission from an odd perspective. Focusing on that mission as the crowning moment of an epic quest to save your world (and the end of a pretty kick-ass gaming experience) from the player's perspective may have led you to loosen it up a bit.

You have the cutscene that begins the mission; it is a really sweet visual. From there it jumps to level 8 of super mario brothers and I find myself in a fight that is at least five times as difficult as any other in the game (seriously, I played a ranger and didn't even have to strafe in the expansion).

I was in a mood to glide into the finish while enjoying the culmination of the past 60 hours spent playing the saga, and reconciling my thoughts on the ending. An RPG is at its core a story. you guys did plot really well I thought. I have some complaints, but nothing game-breaking.

Bottom line: I felt the difficulty level of the final mission detracted from the game in a way that ultimately affected how I feel about the game as a whole. At least it wasn't another heart-wrenching twist like Ego though. You guys do so many things really well, but you need to seriously rethink your approach to ending sequences.

A 60-hour rpg is not like a 2-hour movie drama where people are given to appreciating endings where the creator says "except you had everything wrong and were actually on the side of evil for the past 40 hours." and then "you wanted to kick our ass so bad after the first part....why don't you save it for the last 10 mins."

Last edited by Parrk; 13/11/10 04:35 AM.
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
To each their own, I guess. Some people are saying there are too many enemies in the final mission, yet I found it pretty obvious what to do. Maybe on hard/upcoming nightmare difficulty it's tougher, but on normal it's not that bad.

journeyman
journeyman
i didnt think she was too hard at all. (played on normal difficulty throughout entire game) she certainly didnt hurt me much (maybe down to 50% health at times) it was her heal that was annoying.

i had more trouble against the 3 black ring members that spawned from a teleporter in crows nest. all 3 healing themselves constantly made that battle last for ages.

ygerna only healed herself about 4 times and my pet and myself were whittling her down.

nothing major in my stats or skills.

maxed whirlwind
maxed magic missile
maxed firewall
maxed life leech
maxed regen
maxed reflect

all which i used extensively during the fight.

str, int and vit above 60. others in 40-60 range.

lvl45

========

edit - as for the dragon mission. didnt die once. i thought it was straightfoward and obvious that you should nuke everything infront of you as quickly as possible to make way for the zeppelin. i didnt bother waiting for the thing.

started by summoning wyvern to take some flack away. then just barreled headlong towards each ballista and strafed around whilst firebreathing them all. only things i used the super-fireball on were clusters of lightning cannons or nests.
i didnt even bother taking out aerial enemies, but i did nuke nests before anything else so they couldnt spawn all the time.

what i found odd was that near the end of that section i got a message saying 'we're taking too much damage, we'll never make it back again' and the zeppelins health bar had only lost about 3 pixels off it.
poor scripting there.

Last edited by brandysnap; 13/11/10 05:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
The final mission was hard, but not TOO hard. I did die the first time though, and the Zeppelin was losing a lot of health.

After dying, I went back to before triggering the final mission and made Ultimate Rejuvenation potions until I had over 100, then I retrieved all my Dragon Armor from the coffer, because the default stuff doesn't have any bonuses on it, and I really needed the extra health. Also, being in the crystal must have nerfed the dragon a bit, because before FoV, I had 100 Intelligence, and my Dragon Form could firebreath indefinitely faster than my mana could drain, so I had infinite mana, but in this last mission, it went to zero really fast, although it came back fast enough after I stopped breathing fire.

As soon as the mission started, I paused and remapped the hotkeys because I was used to having Healing on "4". I don't know why the Dragon form was locked out of the skill menu, but at least I could remap the hotkeys by right-clicking them.

I flew ahead, and I mostly used the firebreath on the towers, and the nuke whenever the cooldown ended. I never was far enough ahead for the zeppelin to complain that I was too far away. I mostly ignored the flyers, I tossed Fire Sphere's their way occasionally.

The zeppelin was still at full health when it started complaining about taking "too much damage", but soon after that it reached the point where there were too many towers for me to prevent damage happening, so I'm glad the mission ended when it did.

Ygerna was an ok boss. My Demon distracted her very well, and when it died, I turned invisible and summoned my creature until my demon cooldown wore off.

I finished at level 46.

Awesome game, great ending.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I failed a couple of times, but it wasn't THAT hard. You just have to clear the path much before the zeppelin arrives, and use the area explosion on those large groups of towers as often as possible, and don't forget to summon the wyvern. When they start yelling that they're not going to make it, save the game (if the Zeppelin isn't near-dead, of course). It doesn't take much longer in that part, but it's exactly when the zeppelin can end up blowing up in a few seconds if you're not careful.

veteran
veteran
I finished Ygerna with 10-20 hits. (medium)

sword of rhode with +100 magical en melee damage (980 melee damage 680 magic damage)
a lot of equipment charmed with melee damage
100 vitality
100 strength
level 15 regeneration, whirlwind, critical strike,

made it real easy smile

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
old hand
old hand
Sword of Rhode?

Ygerna took me about 3 minutes with 99 Intelligence and Fireball, Way of the battlemage, magic missile & magic blast all maxed. I suppose she has very high magic resistance since my fireball did 2414 damage to her, while it one-shotted every other enemy in the expansion with 6000+ damage. She seems much easier for a melee character.

I had to watch out for her charge attack and she could do a lot of melee damage.

Last edited by virumor; 16/11/10 09:54 AM.
stranger
stranger
I found this mission to easy, played it on hard. All that was needed was nuke everything and the ship ended up at 90% HP when I was done, on first try. I agree that it could have been hard if you jumped into combat without experience but you get plenty of it main game at the flying fortresses. As for Ygerna part of it also to easy because of enchants.

In fact I think the entire game was to easy thanks to the enchants. I like the idea of enchants but with them you can become invincible and 1-2 shoot everything. I had to remove any kinda +damage modifier on weapons to even get a challenge, but even after that I couldn't die anyway as my HP regen was 2,7% per second and I had 1500 HP and life leeched 400 HP every time it procced.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by SanCo
In fact I think the entire game was to easy thanks to the enchants. I like the idea of enchants but with them you can become invincible and 1-2 shoot everything. I had to remove any kinda +damage modifier on weapons to even get a challenge, but even after that I couldn't die anyway as my HP regen was 2,7% per second and I had 1500 HP and life leeched 400 HP every time it procced.

Depends on class, I guess. I had a pure mage (INT maxed, spirit around 80) and sometimes it was a bit hard to kill crowds of skeletons 2-3 levels above, since my shields are pretty low. Yeah, it took usually 3 shots to kill the guy, but when there were multiple enemies, I had some challenge. As for bosses, well... I just jump and shot. When I grew tire of this, I jumped on tall rock or something like that and all enemies stopped, trying to calculate the shortest way to me on the plain ground, which actually doesn't exist.

As for the last mission, it DOES suck and boring, but easy if you fly AHEAD of the ship and fireball towers.

Last edited by Monkeyman; 17/11/10 10:54 PM.
old hand
old hand
I massacred Ygerna the first try lol
I had

lvl 13 Dual Weild
lvl 13 Magic Missile
lvl 15 bleed
lvl 15 Death blow
lvl 10 whirlwind
lvl 15 Rush attack
lvl 15 heal
lvl 5 regen (as my armour gave me more than enough lol)
lvl 3 Fire wall (lvl 5 with my armour & accessorys)
Lvl 5 mana Efficiency ( All from my Armour & Accessorys lol)
lvl 5 Way of the Battle Mage (again from my armour & accessorys)

all my stats were above 50 lowest was Dex at 55 str 82 vit 78 int 71 spt 71

Melee Res 61% Ranged res 56% Magic res 52%

Conditioned Bady 75% Hightened Reflexes 55% Indomitable will 75%

she did'nt stand a chance lol

P
stranger
stranger
P
If you fail to clear an area.The Zeppelin just run into it and get pummelled.That when i though
-Wow this is stupid.

So what could have been better?You have to defend the Zepp and you have to clear the passage for the Zepp . But not both at the same time.So the Zepp could simply wait until the ares is cleared.or you have to protect the Zepp for single incoming attack.But the Zepp running through an army of ballista?That a bit extreme.

Well you're a dragon and can't really talk but anyway..
I have some question for Larian ...

How can i hear the captain of the Zeppelin?Does my dragon have a talkie-Walkie or something?Telepathy ?

Last edited by PsychoMoose; 18/11/10 12:38 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
I massacred Ygerna the first try lol
I had

lvl 13 Dual Weild
lvl 13 Magic Missile
lvl 15 bleed
lvl 15 Death blow
lvl 10 whirlwind
lvl 15 Rush attack
lvl 15 heal
lvl 5 regen (as my armour gave me more than enough lol)
lvl 3 Fire wall (lvl 5 with my armour & accessorys)
Lvl 5 mana Efficiency ( All from my Armour & Accessorys lol)
lvl 5 Way of the Battle Mage (again from my armour & accessorys)

all my stats were above 50 lowest was Dex at 55 str 82 vit 78 int 71 spt 71

Melee Res 61% Ranged res 56% Magic res 52%

Conditioned Bady 75% Hightened Reflexes 55% Indomitable will 75%

she did'nt stand a chance lol

i had a rather *paladin spec* board and shield.I was basicly a walking behemoth of regeneration.Unkillable.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard