Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Maybe a little. Female Dragon slayers (Rhode, Morgana) don't even look like they're wearing panties. But other than that, no cleavage, etc. (from what I've seen) The armor looks like it'll stand up in battle and actually help the wearer. Unlike so many damn RPGs.

veteran
veteran
Female Dragon slayers (Rhode, Morgana) don't even look like they're wearing panties.

PANTSU SHOTS CONTEST IS OPEN NOW!

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
eh, with all the spikes in the armor, it doesnt look practical either. sure it looks like it can protect, but you'd have to weight protection against mobility considerations when donning armor too. its sort of akin to the sword the size of a man thing that animes have. i think it suffers from the "look cool rather than practical" syndrome too but at least its not "im invulnerable even while i moon you" syndrome.

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... - Isaiah 49:15-16
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Total fantasy games that have magical armor protection and people still yip on about realistic looking armor.

Spell casting, enchanted weapons, turning into DRAGON, is that realistic ?

Fantasy means make believe, an escape from reality.

I have reality in a abundance in everyday life, why woulld I want it in my games.

old hand
old hand
Very well said wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
As long as it is close enough to being reasonably designed that someone that does not have great knowledge about what armor should be like, then it is fine with me. Once it is that close, for a fantasy game stylishness takes precedence.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
who mentioned realistic or realism first?

and even if someone did, the reasoning that "its fantasy so its ok" would make everything permissible. that means you cant complain if your dragon gets 1 hit by a sheep, because hey its fantasy. dragon clips thru cliffs, or the ground or swims while flapping its wings? hey its fantasy. fists do more damage than 2 handed axes, bullets bounce off bunnies harmlessly? cant complain, its fantasy.

invariably, from what ive seen anyway, whenever someone says "realistic" or "realism" they mean "within the context of the lore". so dragons wand magic would be "realistic" and no one would complain otherwise, because the lore is taken into context. in the same way, ALL the above examples would be "realistic" (perhaps a better term is "consistent with lore") if the lore of the game says so. If the lore in dks says metals in dks are lightweight or forged in a special way in that allows great mobility, then the designs as they are are "realistic" or "consistent with lore"

and while i prefer the more practical (real world "lore" terms) armor, im fine with dks designs btw. sometimes, its fun to just look cool

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... - Isaiah 49:15-16
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Knight Flyer
Total fantasy games that have magical armor protection and people still yip on about realistic looking armor.

Spell casting, enchanted weapons, turning into DRAGON, is that realistic ?

Fantasy means make believe, an escape from reality.

I have reality in a abundance in everyday life, why woulld I want it in my games.

While true (And is the reason I don't play War Games; If I want to play War, I'll join the Army), meanwhile why do even the Warrior class female characters have to look like whores/prostitutes? There is a thing I like to call "Beauty without skin." Some of my favorite armor sets in games are armor sets that DO NOT have the "whoreish" look.

Besides, you're not making your own armor. You're basically stealing the armor off of others, and others aren't nearly as magical as you are, so why would they be wearing the "Whoremor"? I mean, imagine if EVERY guard in the game had that type of armor, as they do in other games. They are just generic people. Generic people do not have the magical armor you do, or the magical abilities you do, and that type of armor would give them nothing, so why would they wear it?

When someone makes armor, they usually don't make it intending to get it enchanted with special abilities, so they wouldn't make armor that gives half protection.

I, for one, am happy that the artists made legitimate armor, regardless of the fact that this is a magical fantasy world.

stranger
stranger
I'm glad somebody finally noticed and bothered to post about it smile

When we started designing the armors, we decided that both male and female armors should closely resemble one another. We also didn't want to go in the direction most games tend to go, namely to have the female warrior wear almost nothing, while the male counter-part is clad in armor from his toes to his "hairtips".

But it's true that we chose look in favor of "ease-of-use": the silhouettes had to look cool, we didn't care if the armor would work in real-life or not.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I used the term "realistic" as thats generally what posters are getting at when they make posts like this ie: "it shows too much skin so can't offer good protection and therefore is not realistic".

Why is it such an issue for some folks?

Why the need to use expressions like whorish and whormor?

If you don't like the look of a set of armor then use a different one, theres plenty of sets of armor in most games to allow players to choose, and in modable games you can use or create whatever armor you choose.

Each to their own, just because you have a preference for this or that doesn't mean that everybody else should have the same preference as you do.

apprentice
apprentice
Female armor:
[Linked Image]
Poor legs.

Ipsa scientia potestas est.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by kache
Female armor:
[Linked Image]
Poor legs.

"Hey, would you go pick up that coin I dropped over there?"

enthusiast
enthusiast
People are complaining about seeing boobs?

What's wrong with this planet?

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 21/11/10 01:44 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ExaltedReign
Female armor:
[Linked Image]
Poor legs.

"Hey, would you go pick up that coin I dropped over there?"

grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare

Nothing. Unlike DragonAge/TwoWorlds2 there is no boobs in the game.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare

That's not the complaint. The complaint is that when you're wearing Full ARMOR, it doesn't cover everything, and it doesn't make sense. If you're wearing unenchanted, completely regular Battle ARMOR, why does the female version have half of it cut out for no reason other than "appeal"? I might sound like a weird guy here, but that's not appealing to me at all. While the game doesn't have regular clothes like games like Oblivion and DAO do, your armor still shouldn't just randomly have parts out to show cleavage, that's not armor.

If there were regular clothes the player could wear, or robes or casual armor (for example, a mage class character, maybe gives mostly mage boosts), it would be fine, but full fledged BATTLE ARMOR should be for BATTLE, and you don't go into battle wearing half your armor.

Besides, if you've played a Female character in this game, then you'd know that you can see boobs perfectly fine, they're just covered up.

Last edited by Polantaris; 21/11/10 02:40 PM.
old hand
old hand
There's only one or two sets that reveal female body parts. Don't like it, don't wear it.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by virumor
There's only one or two sets that reveal female body parts. Don't like it, don't wear it.

If that is in response to me...you didn't get my point AT ALL.

apprentice
apprentice

To be frank I didn't see any female set which covered the legs...

P
journeyman
journeyman
P

To be frank I didn't see any female set which covered the legs...

There were plenty, actually.

The Scorpion Set
The Set you get from the Bosses in the Fortresses (I forget the name)
The FoV Ranger Set
I also had a few early on I don't remember that covered the legs.

They usually didn't have fancy work near the thigh area, but that's nothing odd, you need to be able to move. Usually just the base chainmail type armor (Just a covering, no fancy spikes or anything).

Last edited by Polantaris; 21/11/10 05:01 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard