Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Ok, just wondering if this is normal or some type of bug, but I'm surprised at how much my FPS drops moving up to my monitors native resolution... I am running a Geforce GTX 280 with 4 gigs of ram, 3.4ghz quadcore and an Asus 27 inch LED monitor.

I have the hotfixed applied and cranked my framerate up to 60, I also have forced 4x anti-aliasing using Nvidia Inspector... When running in 1680x1050 I average bewtween 45-60 FPS in most areas, runs smooth. If I crank the resolution to 1920x1080 my average fps falls to 20-30... That's half a loss of framerate!

apprentice
apprentice
Don't think it's a bug but I play at 1920x1080 with EVERYTHING maxed and Timeslice shadows and animations turned off (put those 2 ON and you'll gain some FPS) with the rig in my sig and it's smooth as butter...some drops in FPS from time to time but nothing unplayable.

If you're used to over 40 FPs and then get 25-30...you'll notice it I guess.

Not a bug tho.

Gaming machine : Win7 Pro 64-bit | Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6950 @ 1536SPs | X-Fi Titanium HD | 6gb DDR2-800 | LG 23" LCD 1080p
stranger
stranger
I think it's probably the forced AA, and maybe the lack of timeslice shadows if you have it off. I'm running a similar rig and get 45-60 FPS constantly at 1920x1080 with everything maxed except for no AA and timeslice on. Honestly, to me the performance hit from AA is not worth it at all at 1920x1080 since I barely even notice any jaggies at that resolution. I know that's personal preference though since some people can't stand the lack AA at any resolution.

Good... Bad... I'm the guy dual-wielding swords with +100 magic damage.
ava Offline
I don't know whether this information is not posted elsewhere, but to be clear: AA is not supported in D2. Even if you force it, you'll notice that the lines are still jagged.

Forcing AA only forces the screenbuffer to have AA and not the internal buffers. If it would be able to do that, you'd see a lot of artifacts.

Forcing AA does make your screenbuffer many times as big (depending on your setting) which consumes a lot of the memory on your graphics card, which explains the decrease in framerate.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard