Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tevaul Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I don't get it, either have an auto save or don't but the way this games autosave is set up is pointless. When invading a flying fortress, every time you go into a new structure you get an autosave. At times this ends up resulting in 8 auto saves within 5 minutes, if you walk through two different entrances to the same structure you will even get two auto saves for that one location. On the other hand when entering caves sometimes it does and most times it doesn't.

I just had the game defect on me, I was fighting a boss monster and after killing him he vanished through the floor along with my reward. I loaded up my auto save and it turns out it was from 3 or so hours ago when I had entered the harbor.

This is a great game but some of these things should really be checked for improvement. Auto save every time you ENTER a location, I don't know why this is a difficult thing to implement. That is pretty standard in the RPG genre now adays and this is not the first time something like this has happened to me in this game. I should not have to pause my game after every room I clear to manually make a save out of fear the auto save isn't keeping up and that a bug might break something.

I also had the talking treasure chest screw up on me, it wanted to ask me a question, I told it I didn't want to so I could save it and it proceeded to not work anymore. I wanted to reload but the game hadn't auto saved for a long time and it was either redo 5 hours worth of the game or skip the box due to a bug. At first I thought I had screwed this up but upon doing a bit of research you are supposed to be able to postpone the questions.

Last edited by Tevaul; 29/11/10 06:47 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Set up and use the quick save function, for some reason there is no key bound to it by default (Options --> Controls Tab). I use F5 for quick save and F6 for quick load, but I have a split keyboard so the keys aren't side by side. Use what works for you.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Sure, however for those who are playing on console, there is no quicksave, so the wildly uneven autosave feature sticks out even more.

I read that in Two Worlds 2, they have an autosave feature where you can chose how often the game saves, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, etc...
I think somebody on these boards already asked for the addition of such a feature to the 360 version.

Given how inconsistent the default autosave is, that would be a godsend but I don't see them patching that in.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by masa2009
Sure, however for those who are playing on console, there is no quicksave, so the wildly uneven autosave feature sticks out even more.

I read that in Two Worlds 2, they have an autosave feature where you can chose how often the game saves, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, etc...
I think somebody on these boards already asked for the addition of such a feature to the 360 version.

Given how inconsistent the default autosave is, that would be a godsend but I don't see them patching that in.
Both Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2 let you set the time interval between autosaves, works great and if you set it at say, 5 minute intervals, you never lose much time if the game glitches on you or you make a mistake.

That's one of those little features that I'd like to see more game developers adopt, it's not always easy to remember to quick-save every few minutes, and, as the OP points out, some games have a really messed up auto-save function!

journeyman
journeyman
That's why they have a quick save. I don't know why they have an auto-save exactly, but it doesn't save anywhere nearly enough to protect you.

The best way to protect yourself is to assign a hot key (F12) to "quick save", then use the normal saves after every major event or change of locations, but use the quick-save after killing every small group of monsters.

T
Tevaul Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Astara
That's why they have a quick save. I don't know why they have an auto-save exactly, but it doesn't save anywhere nearly enough to protect you.

The best way to protect yourself is to assign a hot key (F12) to "quick save", then use the normal saves after every major event or change of locations, but use the quick-save after killing every small group of monsters.

Here is the thing though, every time I need to remind myself to press a save button it pulls you out of the game. If I am in the middle of a an epic dragon battle taking on an entire fortress I don't want to think "Oh crap I better save the game to protect me from dying or a bug." My mind just doesn't consider it half the time, I am simply enjoying the game and don't want to be bothered with nonsense that really doesn't need to be there to begin with. A simple quick save every time you enter a different area solves that problem 100%.

That is like switching discs through out the game, no one uses it anymore because it is an annoyance and better solutions have been available for a decade.

addict
addict
Why does every mention quick save when someone complains about autosave? Quick save is just regular saving with a few less mouse clicks. You still have to remember to save, and that's the whole point! You don't always remember to save after battles and important parts, especially if the game plot is compelling you onward. Jeez...telling someone to setup quicksave isn't any more helpful than telling them to save regularly. Autosave should be there to pick up the slack when the gamer gets caught up in the story and forgets to save.

journeyman
journeyman
Because you don't want autosave to save your game all the time -- it takes the same amount of time as quick save, and if you put your quick save on an easy to reach key, it takes but a little training for it to become second nature.

Seriously -- just retrain your fingers and you won't have to think about it -- it will become automatic. That's the point of training -- you train often enough, and things become automatic -- you don't have to think -- you just react. it becomes part of your muscle memory and it requires no thought.

TRY IT!

maybe put it on '\'. You'll probably hit it by accident half the time when you try to hit erase or Return... hehe it will become automatic! Trust me.... Would I lie to you? I'm not with larian... I'm a fellow player. And not even a hardcore gamer for that matter... it really does become part of your "automatic reflexive muscle memory", so it won't take you out of your game and you won't even have to think about it, any more than you think about scratching your nose when it itches -- it's unconscious.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
The autosave is clearly there for those "oh #@$%" moments when you walk into a situation unprepared. That way, after getting your hind end handed to you, you can back up and be ready for it next time.

It also serves to warn you something is up ... once that autosave kicks in, you know there is some trouble ahead.

Last edited by Daen; 30/11/10 08:52 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
For me im only about 5-6 hours in but the last autosave was at least a few hours ago. completely useless!!

Surely it should do it when you enter a new area like most games?

I've just got to the big tower and am slowely erradicating all bad guys and clearing out caves before i progress the story but my last autosave is when i came out the church crypt in the first (proper) village!

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
You aren't supposed to be relying on the autosave to protect your progress. Do a manual save for that. Autosave is only active in a relatively few spots where you might not think you need to do a manual save. It's not like there are save points in this game ... make your own. Personally, I never enter a new area, or even turn in a major quest without doing a fresh new save first.

apprentice
apprentice
Not sure what your deal is, use Quicksave/Quickload..
Make YOUR OWN saves ever so often, say every few character levels/before dungeons/hard fights.
Think of [u]Auto-save[/u] as a SAVE for DUMMIES kinda thing. bow

happy hunting rpg008

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard