Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#429501 29/11/10 10:16 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hey guys,

I read about the hotfix that allows you to edit a file to remove the FPS cap in DKS.

Im just a bit confused as to if its out on the steam version yet? (only brought the game yesterday. The 30 fps cap really hurts my eyes on my set up!

Thanks for the update.

Ta

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
Yes, if you bought it yesterday it should already be patched.
You can edit the cap in a file named config.xml in your installfolder.
Or you can wait for the patch to be released after which you can edit it in your options screen in-game.

apprentice
apprentice
apoc -

in the FAQ there is a note about the 30fps limit:

"Why do you want to cap it ? To give time to certain threads to do things. If you let it loose, you might get hiccups or stuttering"

food for thought wink

div2
Larian Studios FTW!

"be honest... both with others and yourself"
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by brandon2u
apoc -

in the FAQ there is a note about the 30fps limit:

"Why do you want to cap it ? To give time to certain threads to do things. If you let it loose, you might get hiccups or stuttering"

food for thought wink

I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but I did notice that it seemed to run less smoothly when I increased it to 60, and even a modest increase to 42. Although I didn't like 30 fps at first, I soon got used to it and actually prefer a slow, steady framerate to a fast, erratic one, even though low fps can induce some quite nasty headaches with other games.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well my rig should be up to it but the odd hiccup is better than getting a headache from the 30 fps im sure smile

Surely unless its optimised badly theres no reason why the game shouldnt run at 60 on top end systems like other games. It looks nice but its not bleading edge.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by apoc_reg; 29/11/10 10:25 PM.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
Well my rig should be up to it but the odd hiccup is better than getting a headache from the 30 fps im sure smile

Surely unless its optimised badly theres no reason why the game shouldnt run at 60 on top end systems like 99% of other games. It looks nice but its not bleading edge graphics or anything

Might just be a "feature" of Gamebryo: if you look at other Gamebryo-based games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, they're not renowned for their lack of stuttering, regardless of the system they're running on. Which is maybe why I'm giving Larian the benefit of the doubt here!

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Ah of course, i hadnt put two and two together! Yes oblivion and Fallout 3/nv are terrible performing/technically inept games!

If thats the engine Divinity is based on it actually says to me Larian have done a good job to get it as smooth as it is. Certainly looks better than those games for NPCs, foiliage, atmosphere etc. Surprised it doesnt support AA though

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
Ah of course, i hadnt put two and two together! Yes oblivion and Fallout 3/nv are terrible performing/technically inept games!

If thats the engine Divinity is based on it actually says to me Larian have done a good job to get it as smooth as it is. Certainly looks better than those games for NPCs, foiliage, atmosphere etc. Surprised it doesnt support AA though

Bethesda's implementation is quite mangled, which is probably why it additionally crashes so often whereas Ego doesn't, but I think the jumping/stuttering thing may be an intrinsic quality of Gamebryo itself, at least to some extent.

That might also be the case with AA: again, there were some problems getting AA to work reliably with Bethesda's games, at least on ATI cards. Hard to say if it's related, but sometimes it's possible to force it on in the card's settings. And, of course, other times it isn't... I loved going through several iterations of total uncertainty with all the suggestions of "try this or that, maybe it'll work, maybe it won't". grin

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
In Steam version hot-fixes already included right now?

Amazing RPG. Just buy it.
Originally Posted by DragonChevalier
In Steam version hot-fixes already included right now?

Yes

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard