Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
apprentice
apprentice
K

you basically have to do what you did in Diablo,

So this game is bad... as was diablo?

hahahahahahah.

sorry, it's too funny. Not only is this game just awesome, but diablo was so good it's a legend nowadays. So yes, it is as "bad" as diablo.
(I play DKS version)

Last edited by kaltorak; 15/11/10 03:04 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Drachehexe
Well, first this game doesn't offer my particular play style. No stealth, no sneak attacks, no back stabs or pocket picking. An rpg without a rogue, go figure.

Also, the concept of an RPG is that the outcome of any particular challenge should be based on the skills of the character, not the player. The assumption that ever player has the reflexes of a teenager is a grave one. I actually went back and tried a combat on all three difficulty levels. There was no difference in their outcome for the most part. Easy level was just as hard to beat as normal or hard. I found no difference between damage done to them or to me.

I can only assume that that is a flaw in the difficulty slider. The game is locked in the difficulty setting in which I started the game. I would have to adjust the setting to easy 1st I think (tho I haven't tested it yet) then start a new game. However, I really not willing to go through all that again when an upgrade is slated to be released.

There is a skill that lets you shoot enemies before they see you, and there is a short duration invis skill that lets you sneak up to/past enemies. You also bash the game for using similar elements that other RPGs have incorporated, and then complain there was no rogue class. That doesn't seem to make sense. Innovation or conformity- pick one to complain about. You can't dislike both.

It is quite easy to dodge most spells and ranged attacks, and to back away or strafe to avoid melee attacks. If you stand still and let everything connect, of course you're going to take a lot of damage. Use some strategy and it's fine, and definitely a welcome challenge.

I've noticed a large difference between the difficulty levels. I play on hard, have played through Broken Valley as a mage, archer, and melee fighter, and haven't had any issue of running out of potions. I also believe that adjusting the difficulty slider while you are playing does change the difficulty level, it's not locked into what it was when you made the game. I haven't tested that specifically, so I could be mistaken. One thing that I observed that suggests you are mistaken is damage from fire and poison. Standing in fire on easy difficulty takes forever to kill you and food generally outheals it. On normal or hard difficulty, slamming down potions still isn't enough to keep you alive.

You seem to be spending a lot of time complaining about a game that you said you hated. Why? Return it or give it to a friend and move on if it wasn't your cup of tea. It doesn't look like anyone is going to be able to say anything to change your opinion of the game. Personally, I love it and have enjoyed it more than Oblivion, Torchlight, Titan Quest, etc. Some of the story could be better, but what other RPGs for the PC have story lines that are 100% awesome? I can't think of any. Diablo 2 is still wildly popular 10+ years after its release, and I can tell you it's not because of it's story.

Last edited by Suprfli6; 15/11/10 03:22 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Well, first this game doesn't offer my particular play style. No stealth, no sneak attacks, no back stabs or pocket picking. An rpg without a rogue, go figure.

Also, the concept of an RPG is that the outcome of any particular challenge should be based on the skills of the character, not the player. The assumption that ever player has the reflexes of a teenager is a grave one. I actually went back and tried a combat on all three difficulty levels. There was no difference in their outcome for the most part. Easy level was just as hard to beat as normal or hard. I found no difference between damage done to them or to me.

I can only assume that that is a flaw in the difficulty slider. The game is locked in the difficulty setting in which I started the game. I would have to adjust the setting to easy 1st I think (tho I haven't tested it yet) then start a new game. However, I really not willing to go through all that again when an upgrade is slated to be released.

So every RPG is supposed to follow DnD classes? You can very well make a rogue-like character, perhaps you just haven't explored the game well enough.

"Also, the concept of an RPG is that the outcome of any particular challenge should be based on the skills of the character, not the player."

Says whom? They created a game as they felt like, they're not going to create a whole game being stuck on ridiculous boundaries of someone's opinion on the concept of role-playing games. In my opinion that only gets us more and more unoriginal games. Anyways, the skills of the character matter a lot, they DO matter even more than player skill. Nonetheless, this is an action-RPG, player skill is also supposed to matter, but that doesn't mean you need uber reflexes. It just means you can jump out of ambushes and dodge arrows/spells (which quite frankly are quite slow in general, if you do not have the reflexes to dodge many of those you likely have an impairment of some sort).

I've played the whole game, including the expansion, on the normal difficulty. I did die somewhat, but the game was far from being as hard as you're talking about. It does get hard if you try not to hunt creatures to get experience. You can increase health regeneration by raising STR, getting regeneration-improving items and/or getting the regeneration passive skill. My character is a warrior whose health bar fills up in a couple seconds, and he has a skill that absorbs damage and transforms it into health, I barely need potions at all. In the beginning of the game, as potions are expensive, you can always stick to food - it helps quite a lot.

B
stranger
stranger
B
As you can see Drachehexe, there are people here who are willing to offer simple advice for you to enjoy the game.

This is how forums are supposed to be. With the just advice I've given, on top of the others who have given theirs, give the game another shot. Read what each skill does, and consider if it will benefit your style of play. Since I enjoy hording things, that's part of the skills I have adopted. Saying this, the three skills I have specifically made sure I have maxed are Wisdom, Encumbrance, and the Lockpicking skills. These benefit my character more than just about anything else, as I can open any chest I want (that doesn't need a quest designated key), my levels increase a bit faster due to higher experience gain, and I can carry lots and lots and lots of crap that I'll never actually need or use - just sell so I can have lots of money I won't use because the items, weapons, and armor I find in the chests are better than what I have found in the shops... So I guess I really don't need to have encumbrance, but I do enjoy the mass amount of money I have in my coffer. smile

Dodging arrows and magical attacks from a distance is too easy on the normal difficulty setting. Perhaps you should reconsider your build and start a new game and try it as a ranged DPS character over the melee sort. I have found it's a lot easier on judgment calls when they are necessary.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No stealth.

Hide in Shadows skill says hai.

Sounds to me like you expect this game to follow a AD&D ruleset or something. Sorry that you're dissappointed. Maybe you should try a AD&D game to satisfy your requirements.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 16/11/10 08:50 PM.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Later when you get some good gear you dont even need potions. In the start its kinda hard untill you get the right skills, and when you get a weapon with a good dps ench. you almost 1 shot everything anyway if you have the right build. (except mages :P)

Last edited by Andre Norvald p; 17/11/10 11:10 PM.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Play a few Gothic games (the early ones, not the Arcania claptrap) or Risen, and you will have a better idea of what a brutal RPG is all about. I found 95% of the game to be casual-easy ... and the remaining 5% frustratingly intense. But I suspect the intense parts are design flaws and not intended to be quite so tough.

J
stranger
stranger
J
This is one of my favorite all time games. As for it being hard, I'm 59 years old, and find the game quite easy. Obviously, I don't have the best reaction times, but I do have a brain. Tactics make all the difference smile

Great story, great graphics, loads of exploration and character development. This game gets an A+ from me.

stranger
stranger
Dear god, bloody casuals.

I'm playing this game on the new 'nightmare' difficulty setting and still think it's too damn easy.

You are actually complaining about slow health regen? For a start, regerating health is a really dumb game mechanic in the first place. It's one of the first thing developers impliment on the road to dumbing down (they call it 'streamlining') their games. But if your game is going to have it, at least do the way Larian have. That is, make the player have to invest in stats and gear to allow it.

Go by a Wii and play some Zelda noob. (I'm betting you already have a Wii and think Zelda's awesome).

M
addict
addict
M
Zelda IS awesome.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by AlaCarcuss
Dear god, bloody casuals.

I'm playing this game on the new 'nightmare' difficulty setting and still think it's too damn easy.

You are actually complaining about slow health regen? For a start, regerating health is a really dumb game mechanic in the first place. It's one of the first thing developers impliment on the road to dumbing down (they call it 'streamlining') their games. But if your game is going to have it, at least do the way Larian have. That is, make the player have to invest in stats and gear to allow it.

Go by a Wii and play some Zelda noob. (I'm betting you already have a Wii and think Zelda's awesome).

Dumb down? This game already uses several of what you'd call dumbed down game mechanics. The unrealistic amount of gear and potions and whatnot the character is able to tote around for starters. Don't start talking about dumbed down. It isn't about realism you elitist twit, it's about playability. 99% (probably 100% but there may be an exception I am unaware of) of every RPG ever made is dumbed down for playability. Hit points/Health, Weapon Damage, Mana, you name it they are all mechanics that streamline game play. Simplification of a complex idea or process for the sake of entertainment.

Zelda is awesome. I bet I been playing Zelda before you were even born.

old hand
old hand
I played Zelda to death on Nintendo Game & Watch. Awesome game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by virumor
I played Zelda to death on Nintendo Game & Watch. Awesome game.

I haven't played Zelda. I'm beginning to think I've missed out.

J'aime le fromage.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Vometia

I haven't played Zelda. I'm beginning to think I've missed out.

If old SNES games don't bother you, play "A Link to the Past".
Ocarina of Time is really good, but for Nintendo64.
The last one on wii (Twilight Princess) is nice, but below average, compared to other Zelda games (nothing really new, story fine but somewhat bland).

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Don't feed the troll.

apprentice
apprentice
It's difficulty even on easy level is overly brutal. HP and Mana regen is ridiculously slow...you basically have to do what you did in Diablo, buy a ton of overpriced healing potions and just keep hitting them during combat to survive. The armor I have just before I got teh dragon stone is only a little better than when I started the game.

The first dragon transformation battle is brutally insane. Not to mention laughable story points, and main villan that seems to get everywhere he wants but doesn't kill you on the spot even tho he could and he should. Really bad AI in places.

It's a nice world but this game has so many little flaws...if the health regen and mana regen weren't so god awful slow (i mean almost 200g for healing potions? hell, can afford to buy anything else but potions that get used up completely withing 10 minutes of buying them. Often times there is never enough time for potions to heal you enough to keep you from dying.

This is a piss poor RPG when it comes to game mechanics, combat, and fair play. Definite a waste of 30 bucks. I certainly WON'T buy the expansion, especially since I paid 30 bucks for this and the expansion is 20 meaning I'd be paying 50 bucks for something you can buy all in one shot for 40? Bad and stupid business practices too.

This game is all around one big disaster. I though it would be cool to play a dragon, but christ the first time you get to be on you're under a relentless assault from bugs and turrets that blast the hell out of you before you even get close...and try to hide and the shots they fire go through walls and rocks..wish mine would.

Sorry, but I wont ever buy another of your games, this one is so flawed and you have the audacity to release an expansion and not fix what's wrong with the original. What a bunch of BS.

Its a shame you feel this way.

I am playing this on the Xbox 360 and it is great!!! AMAZING and very fun. Oblivion was the best but this is 2nd best!

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I really enjoyed Zelda on NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube. I find it rather hard to believe there are actually people that don't like Zelda :o

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
apprentice
apprentice
Link's Awakening ftw!

R
stranger
stranger
R
men the thing is that when you buy an RPG, the best that ou can expect is a challenge and to tell you the truth
i started playing it in normal difficulty and it never presented me a challenge
1.because i make all sidfe quests because i love it
2.i open every damn chest in game
3.i put a little bit of effort

as you go further in game things became easier and funnier( such as the power rangers dragon killers,so funny)and you get to find lots of new and incredible armor

the most difficult is fighting as a dragon for me

anyways i am a kamikaze i always go directly to ffight with no tactic, i am warrior

apprentice
apprentice
I bought divinity 2 E.D. for my wife this summer.....thought she would like it. we both played divinity 1 , and loved it. I ended up playing the game.....I beat the game this afternoon and was shocked as to how it ended .....no, I won't say it. I think this is a great game! I jumped into it a little bit unprepared though, but the second character I created was the bomb! once I found some decent armor and figured out how to set myself up, there was no stopping me. I showed my wife the ending...showed her the expansion for it...she said we had to get it now.....I'm not going to let them screw me over like that! time for some payback!!!!!

by the way.....zelda is one of the best games out there....played them all, except the wii game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard