Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I recently wrote a post about being pissed off with the Steam PC version of DKS having SecuCRAP embedded in it, but God...I really want this game!

I much prefer the mouse and keyboard control of RPGs on PC instead of console pad controls and I appreciate the higher resolution textures that you get on PC. That having been said, as I refuse to infest my PC with SecuCRAP which already wrecked my previous gaming PC, I'm out of options, unless I get the 360 version.

Has anyone been able to compare the two versions? Is DKS a massive visual and gameplay downgrade on console compared to the PC version? I played Dragon Age: Origins on PC, then saw my nephew play DA:O on his 360...it looked like crap compared to the PC version and the god-awful control scheme on the joypad neutered all the combat options you had at your fingertips on the PC.

Before replying, bear in mind that I would be able to run DKS on PC at maximum settings, no problem, as I have an i7 quad core overclocked to 4ghz, with 6gigs of RAM and a Radeon 5870 graphics card.

journeyman
journeyman
Althouh I have never seen the console version I would presume it would be the
Same situatution. RPG is naturally more fitting for mouse and keyboard.

journeyman
journeyman
I can only speak of the Xbox version, which, to me, handles very well. I'm a bit of an exception to the rule (apparently) as I absolutely prefer the feel of the controller in my hands to a mouse & keyboard but I do agree that the constant pausing to access the radial menu in Dragon Age was a bit cumbersome. Divinity is by nature more actiony and feels better suited for consoles. As for graphics... The original had some bad screen tearing but DKS runs much smoother on the Xbox.

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
journeyman
journeyman
Just because SecuROM has given you an issue before, doesn't mean it will this time. I've only had one problem with it over the years I've been playing PC games, and that's a lot of games with SecuROM wink

What I'd honestly suggest is either wait for a retail version or wait for a Steam sale (As you're unsure about the PC version). You can also get it on Impulse and GamersGate, so keep your eye on it there as it might go on sale too. Funnily enough, the Direct2Drive version doesn't say whether it has DRM or not, so you might want to get in touch with their support staff.

It seems, to me, that the 360 version isn't what you want - So don't get it. You'd be paying more for, technically, less.

Last edited by Dwagginz; 03/12/10 09:55 AM.
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dwagginz
Just because SecuROM has given you an issue before, doesn't mean it will this time. I've only had one problem with it over the years I've been playing PC games, and that's a lot of games with SecuROM wink

What I'd honestly suggest is either wait for a retail version or wait for a Steam sale (As you're unsure about the PC version). You can also get it on Impulse and GamersGate, so keep your eye on it there as it might go on sale too. Funnily enough, the Direct2Drive version doesn't say whether it has DRM or not, so you might want to get in touch with their support staff.

It seems, to me, that the 360 version isn't what you want - So don't get it. You'd be paying more for, technically, less.
Thanks for the reply, but if SecuROM had given you the same problems that it has given me, you wouldn't even suggest risking it. We are talking knackered DVD drives, regular blue screens of death and various other issues too numerous to go into here, suffice it to say, SecuROM can go fuck itself! I now have a new top of the range PC and I am not putting myself through the shit that I went through with my old PC, even if it is not guaranteed to happen...it really was that awful an experience on my old PC.

I'm glad SecuROM has not given you the problems that it has given me, but as I said to another user who said that they had no problems with SecuCRAP, to paraphrase, everyone's computer is different and therefore reacts entirely differently to the same piece of software, or in this case crappy, diabolical malware!

Lots of people think that SecuROM is a harmless little disc-check program, the truth is that it is essentially a nasty, little root-kit that nestles at the base of your OS and can fundamentally affect the operability of your system should it choose to. It has more access to your OS than you do as the administrator, for God's sake!

As to the rest of your post, I can't get it on Steam regardless of whether it is on a sale or not, because that has SecuCRAP DRM embedded in it, as well as Steam DRM, as I stated in my post about it elsewhere, which means thare are ostensibly two forms of DRM embedded in the one game...absolutely ludicrous!

If the Steam version has SecuROM, which it has, you can bet your bottom dollar that all the other digital versions will have it, as well as the retail DVDs. This means that I either act illegally and get a crack, which I am fundamentally opposed to, or I get the inferior xbox360 version. The big question is, how inferior is the 360 version? There is inferior and there is Dragon Age: Origins inferior, which is very nearly a different game on the 360, as it is so much crapper than the PC version.

Last edited by 369; 03/12/10 11:01 AM.
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by AudioEpics
I can only speak of the Xbox version, which, to me, handles very well. I'm a bit of an exception to the rule (apparently) as I absolutely prefer the feel of the controller in my hands to a mouse & keyboard but I do agree that the constant pausing to access the radial menu in Dragon Age was a bit cumbersome. Divinity is by nature more actiony and feels better suited for consoles. As for graphics... The original had some bad screen tearing but DKS runs much smoother on the Xbox.
Ok...the game runs smoothly, but how do the textures hold up, compared to the PC version? What about pad control on the inventory screen, awkward or intuitive?

Last edited by 369; 03/12/10 10:53 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I've only had the time to play DKS for a short bit but in my opinion the textures are fine. They're better than Dragon Age on the Xbox. In the original release, the inventory was a bit awkward but this is another thing they've greatly enhanced for DKS. The game as a whole feels rather actiony (for an RPG), very different from Dragon Age. The 3rd person action element really suits a console imho. Your mileage may vary but as a whole, the HUD looks nice, it's not intrusive and the controls feel good. My PC can handle DKS perfectly fine but I still got it for Xbox because I prefer sitting in my couch with my controller and playing on a bigger screen.

To cut along story short I am an older gamer who has just hit 40 years of age.

I played Quake 3 for a good many a year on Dreamcast and when it was shut down I moved over to PC Q3. PC Q3 was full of cheating, hacking, modding, packet snatching, frame rate whoring like I also used to run it at a 125fps with a refresh of a 120hz so you could jump higher in the games time frame. You name it from hosting to changing over to Q3 3wave... It should of been fun but the whole PC scene was nothing more than a bad bunch of looooser where money would make a better PC go around. It was stupid, I could run 4 Q3's on the same PC in a window back then lmfao!!!! Trust me, PC multi-player sucked and was a waste of time and money and I had had the most fun playing Dreamcast Q3 online than anything else you could play on PC.

So I went back to console because now XBOX would have everyone playing on the same hardware, playing the same game and skill could be rewarded with the right games. I have stayed here ever since and still play buy this rule today.

A PC is only any good for surfing the web lol.

I'm that serious about gaming and being on an equal level + whats the point of buying a PC game and it does not work for you 100% ?????????

DO NOT dis the the console versions of any game for the reasons above. Everyone is playing the same game no matter what. In 1080i/1080p the graphics of the 360 version are great. If your expecting more than that from the PC version then most people are nothing more that GFX whores and not real games players. As the saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover. Like DVD to Blu-ray the movie tells the same story.

The reviews are giving both PC and 360 version the same 90%+ marks across the board. If you have access to a 360 and your that worried about a PC version then pledge your wedge on a copy for 360.

Sure some people have isses with a control pad over a mouse and keyboard, but trust me the world would not be playing Halo 3 & COD on console if they could not control it. From the Space Shuttle to Under Water cameras ect they are controlled but joysticks = thumb sticks and not keyboard and not mouse lol. Racing games rule with a game pad and you could fully drive a real car with one. Same can't be said of keyboard and mouse as there are too many buttons and a need to look down lol. wink

You can relax with a pad and the 360 version plays out very smooth and well with it. You maybe a little short on binds but you can pause at any time and set up what you need in seconds. Try the original Divinity II Demo if you want a feel of it, but DKS is remastered in every area making the demo as waste of time... Only use the demo to get a basic feel of it's controls & as a sample of what DKS's true potential is going to offer even though it's nothing like it any more. wink

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
To cut along story short I am an older gamer who has just hit 40 years of age.

I played Quake 3 for a good many a year on Dreamcast and when it was shut down I moved over to PC Q3. PC Q3 was full of cheating, hacking, modding, packet snatching, frame rate whoring like I also used to run it at a 125fps with a refresh of a 120hz so you could jump higher in the games time frame. You name it from hosting to changing over to Q3 3wave... It should of been fun but the whole PC scene was nothing more than a bad bunch of looooser where money would make a better PC go around. It was stupid, I could run 4 Q3's on the same PC in a window back then lmfao!!!! Trust me, PC multi-player sucked and was a waste of time and money and I had had the most fun playing Dreamcast Q3 online than anything else you could play on PC.

So I went back to console because now XBOX would have everyone playing on the same hardware, playing the same game and skill could be rewarded with the right games. I have stayed here ever since and still play buy this rule today.

A PC is only any good for surfing the web lol.

I'm that serious about gaming and being on an equal level + whats the point of buying a PC game and it does not work for you 100% ?????????

DO NOT dis the the console versions of any game for the reasons above. Everyone is playing the same game no matter what. In 1080i/1080p the graphics of the 360 version are great. If your expecting more than that from the PC version then most people are nothing more that GFX whores and not real games players. As the saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover. Like DVD to Blu-ray the movie tells the same story.

The reviews are giving both PC and 360 version the same 90%+ marks across the board. If you have access to a 360 and your that worried about a PC version then pledge your wedge on a copy for 360.

Sure some people have isses with a control pad over a mouse and keyboard, but trust me the world would not be playing Halo 3 & COD on console if they could not control it. From the Space Shuttle to Under Water cameras ect they are controlled but joysticks = thumb sticks and not keyboard and not mouse lol. Racing games rule with a game pad and you could fully drive a real car with one. Same can't be said of keyboard and mouse as there are too many buttons and a need to look down lol. wink

You can relax with a pad and the 360 version plays out very smooth and well with it. You maybe a little short on binds but you can pause at any time and set up what you need in seconds. Try the original Divinity II Demo if you want a feel of it, but DKS is remastered in every area making the demo as waste of time... Only use the demo to get a basic feel of it's controls & as a sample of what DKS's true potential is going to offer even though it's nothing like it any more. wink
As a fellow old fart, (I just turned 41 today- Happy Birthday me!) I'm more inclined to side with other coffin dodgers like myself, rather than the rambunctious, young whipper snappers of the world. I like your arguments, you've convinced me...Amazon here I come!

My XboxLive gamertag is "Hairy Bloke" without the exclamation marks. If you fancy sending me a friend request, I would love to accept.

I prefer gaming with other oldies, as they don't take it too seriously when the chips are down.

Last edited by 369; 03/12/10 01:34 PM.
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
@AudioEpics

Thanks, you also helped me make up my mind.

P.S. Gonna check out your witch-hunter chronicles...looks very interesting!

Last edited by 369; 03/12/10 01:41 PM.
Haha put me out of my misery already. smile

I hope you enjoy. If you feel the PC version is for you at a later date then I am sorry. Just remember - if you become fond of the divine then 10 or so years from now if we are still alive and kicking, have the marbles to play games then you could go back to the 360 version which is something a new aged PC may not run.

Gamertag is: F40

edit: Happy Birthday! birthdayjump

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
edit: Happy Birthday! birthdayjump
Cheers, geezer.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I wouldn't say that this kind of games are necessarily better on PCs, especially recently.
Nowadays, some devs manage to do good menu design on consoles, and the dual analog layout can really help in a third person game in a way that a keyboard can't.
It could be even argued that the recent Fallouts play a little better on consoles.

However, this particular game doesn't take advantage at all of the dual analog.
You only have 2-axis character control, like a WASD layout mapped onto a console controller.

It controls kind of like a shooter, with strafing. On consoles, you usually have more freedom of choice between strafing when locked on a target, and turning with free cam.

Here you can't turn or dodge in any direction independently from the camera, which really sticks out on a console. Third person games with strong melee elements on console rarely work like that.

Add to that the longer save procedure and the longer load times, and although I haven't played the PC version, I think it plays more to that platform's strength.

Last edited by masa2009; 03/12/10 03:32 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by masa2009
I wouldn't say that this kind of games are necessarily better on PCs, especially recently.
Nowadays, some devs manage to do good menu design on consoles, and the dual analog layout can really help in a third person game in a way that a keyboard can't.
It could be even argued that the recent Fallouts play a little better on consoles.

I understand that the "wheel" interface is something that consoles use; I'd no experience of such a thing until I saw the follower interface on Fallout New Vegas. Can't say I'm a fan, especially; that's not to say it's a bad interface for consoles or that there's anything intrinsically wrong with it, but I think it is more evidence (if any were needed) that PCs and consoles really need their own interface and a "one size fits all" approach doesn't work at all well.

Though not quite so obvious, the menu interfaces of Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and other elements of FNV) weren't exactly optimised for the typical PC user what with their gigantic fonts and monstrous HUD, but some of the menu replacers such as Darn's efforts for all three make an absolutely huge difference to their usability. It's a shame they required a third party to come along and fix them, though.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Ah, thank you very much hehe We're trying to reach as many listeners as possible!

stranger
stranger
My experience is on the steam pc version.

I haven't had any issues and the performance and the look of this game is awesome for me.

True that I have a very "recent" rig, but in any case the game just looks awesome.

About Xbox... I haven't tried the console version but on my experience (and I have xbox and ps3 too) devs tend to strech their developing efforts to make their games run smooth in such a limited hardware as the consoles and if they did so in pc games as much lately most games on PC would rock over their consoles counterparts, but that does not happen, it seems they develop for console and "port" to pc without much optimization and then you get fiascos like "COD:Black Ops", and so on.

As far as the controller goes, all console games lose to PC when the game is about to "aim", otherwise if the number of actions is "limited" aka "arcadeish" then a console version will do fine.

As much as I have tried to move to console I just can't get rid of this "arcade" feeling I get when I play them.

Back to this game, Im very surprised at the level of detail and work this game has, it is something hard to see these days, so all the bucks I spent are well spent for this game. Count on me for the next one.

Last edited by dafema; 06/12/10 11:40 AM.

i7-4930K w/ 16GB DDR3RAM
GForce GTX780 @ 1920x1080
Linux! (when possible)
O
stranger
stranger
O
if u don't like secure-ROM so much then try no DVD patch.
you can find it from anywhere on internet, I don't know it's legal or illegal to use.
but I heard when u use no DVD patch you don't need the DISK to play.
install your game then keep your original disk in a safe place.
it's pretty much simple.

369 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by OpEnBsD
if u don't like secure-ROM so much then try no DVD patch.
you can find it from anywhere on internet, I don't know it's legal or illegal to use.
but I heard when u use no DVD patch you don't need the DISK to play.
install your game then keep your original disk in a safe place.
it's pretty much simple.

SecuROM is far more than just a simple disk check though, it's a nasty little rootkit that is installed at the base of your OS and has more freedom to mess with the functionality of your PC, than you do as the administrator.

Last edited by 369; 06/12/10 06:51 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
trying is better than guessing.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard