Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I bought Divinity II DKS on release day for £39.99 horsey

Doing some last minute xmas shopping for the kids and had a snoop in GAME and they are asking £42.99 for DKS in the high street shop today!

We all want the game to do well, but putting the price up which I have never seen in all my years of gaming just two weeks before xmas is taking the!!!!! Just when Fable 3 has a price slash... Out of all the games why DKS??? suspicion

Remember folks prices are cheaper online but seening as GAME and GAMESTAION who are both the same company have the upper had being the only big retail shop on the high street to stock it just be a litle careful.

Online price at GAME £32.99
Link: Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (Xbox 360)

**rant over**

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Game are notorious for this, their prices instore differ wildly from the prices on their website and its not even stated anywhere that instore prices may differ from those on the web.

It is stated in their terms and conditions but you have to go rooting for that.

I've seen them selling games to download at 12 quid more than it would cost to order a physical copy and have it delivered.

Gamers getting ripped again.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'll only use Game if there's no other option, such as them grabbing themselves an exclusive deal on a collector's edition I want, something they manage to do with annoying regularity.

Their customer service is terrible, however, and they have a nasty habit of keeping pre-order bonus codes for DLCs and the like for themselves. So the news of them hiking their prices up at Christmas (especially when aimed at the unwary) comes as no surprise at all.

J'aime le fromage.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I'm an Aussie, and we also have a local version of "Game" (game.com.au). The international prices on Steam (and other sites) have always been much cheaper than Game - even back when our dollar was only worth 60 US cents...

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vometia
nasty habit of keeping pre-order bonus codes for DLCs and the like for themselves.

Your giving me nasty flash backs. The amount of times I have had to ask for the DLC pre-order codes as they are poping the game in the bag while I'm handing over the cash is unreal. That makes it even worse than having the DLC in the first place!

Here is another nightmare I don't like to think about... When the game is not sealed - NO DEAL.
I hate stickers! down

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
Here is another nightmare I don't like to think about... When the game is not sealed - NO DEAL.

I hate that, I'm paying for a brand new game, that means in its box, sealed and 100% new as it left the factory.

Last time I tried to buy a game from Tesco (back in my Xbox 360 days), I inspected several discs of the same game and eventually gave up and went elsewhere, every one of them had scratches on it, not to mention some mutton brained numpty's fingerprints all over them.

If its been opened, its second hand.

Last edited by Knight Flyer; 14/12/10 02:04 AM.
OP Offline
Usually Tesco's are good or down in Hampshire they are not bad having either extra stock to give you a sealed copy or they place the games in plastic cases sealed.

Not only is it the second hand-ness of it being open but they pop the game in the manual so your find paper dust on the disk. More times than not it does pay to get the game on released day especially if your forced to buy at GAME.

journeyman
journeyman
Game is really bad. The amount of times I've seen secondhand copies of recent games while the new copy is £5 less! I also complained about a secondhand game having scratches and fingerprints all over it, their solution? Install it to the HD...

Also, you know certain 360 games are meant to be budget priced? Earth Defence Force, Onechanbara:
Bikini Samurai Squad, Deadly Premonition, not at Game they're not. £24.99 at Game or £17.99 online.

Paid £26.99 for DKS online, was pretty happy with the price. £42.99 is unreal! do you think they were taking advantage of the low stock situation?

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
OP Offline
I think they are taking advantage as everything thats been released in the last 2 months has been seen, done & dusted by the masses.

We know DKS is a Grade A title. It has not been treated like one by the stores but looks like GAME know what it is now so it has become the perfect milking trade in (your Fables, Black OPS & Need 4 Speeds) title I would say.

Think I see Gamestation selling Black OPS for £44.99 new not sealed. Second hand.... £42.99. Friggin WRONG as the dev's and the buyers are being robbed!!

journeyman
journeyman
You think that's bad? Star Wars: TFU2 on PC. So, normal PC price is what, £25-£30?

£40. I kid you not.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I phoned UK Consumer Direct this afternoon.

Told them that the prices differed wildly from web to store to download site etc, the lady I spoke to said she would do some digging and would call me back.

Sure enough, she did.

She told me she had visited their IT dept and some of the guys that work there are gamers and that they were quite up in arms about this and that they had verified what I had told her.

She also said that while it seemed unethical to have different pricing structures, Game are legally entitled to do so as the shops, the mail order and the download site (metaboli) are all registered as seperate business's, so its legally acceptable for them to do what they do, she was very sorry, but at this time, there's not a damn thing that can be done about it.

She did say that MP's are being lobbied to bring about a change to this situation but in her own words - quote "That mill grinds slowly".

So for now folks, the only thing you can vote with, is your feet.

Last edited by Knight Flyer; 15/12/10 12:27 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
A few weeks ago I bought Ego Draconis in PC World for £9.99. I was about half way through ED when Flames of Vengeance was released - I downloaded it from Game for £14.99. FoV's enhancements improved ED tremendously. I haven't had the slightest problem and I reckon that £24.98 for both (almost DKS) was a bargain!

369 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I was in my local Gamestation the other day, they had two copies of Dragon Knight Saga on their shelves for £42.99.

Seeing as the parent company for both Game and Gamestation is the same, I guess it's not too surprising.

The thing that really irritates me about this pricing policy is that it will put off people who are browsing the shelves looking for something a bit different. If they see DKS for £42.99, then Castlevania for £22.99 and Enslaved for £19.99, they are going to take a punt on the cheaper options, if they haven't heard of the games before. Presumably a game developer like Larian would like as many people as possible to try out their games and gradually broaden their fan-base, but a pricing policy like this by Game and Gamestation, sure as hell isn't going to do it!

old hand
old hand
Well if it's any help, I once saw someone stealing something from Game and he got away with it too. I stopped using Game at the beginning of this year. HMV is much better. They provide refunds too and some of the games are "buy 2 for £15". The best place for games though is Amazon.

Just don't buy games from Game any more, they had to close 100 shops last year. Serves them right I say.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Demonic
Well if it's any help, I once saw someone stealing something from Game and he got away with it too. I stopped using Game at the beginning of this year. HMV is much better. They provide refunds too and some of the games are "buy 2 for £15". The best place for games though is Amazon.

I tend to mostly use Amazon, too. Not always the cheapest (at least in general terms) but I use them partly because it involves not going out, which I don't like, and partly because they have at least some minimal standard of customer service so you know you're not out of luck if something goes wrong.

Originally Posted by Demonic
Just don't buy games from Game any more, they had to close 100 shops last year. Serves them right I say.

That cheered me up somewhat! grin Yes, I am vindictive like that. Yes, they do deserve it.

J'aime le fromage.
OP Offline
Bring back the days when WHSmiths was 'the' place to buy your games at.

Showing my real age now. :hihi:

journeyman
journeyman

Game might be bad, but WHSmith is on a completely different level of "Money grabbing scumbags".

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dwagginz
Game might be bad, but WHSmith is on a completely different level of "Money grabbing scumbags".

I don't think they were always like that, unless I've just become more jaded with age. I think they've gone markedly downhill in terms of customer value in the last 10 years or so, but in my youth they seemed to be a lot more amicable. Nowadays, however, they tend to be on my "avoid" list unless I'm just on the lookout for a magazine.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
DKS is 2999 HUF here in Hungary, which means 12 US dollars:)

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis Hungarian Translation: 100% DL: https://bit.ly/asCstr
journeyman
journeyman

Showing my real age now. :hihi:

Was that Spectrum & C64 games then? now THAT'S really showing my age.
£10.99 for the latest releases and £2.99 for budget games laugh

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard