Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by D00M
Was that Spectrum & C64 games then? now THAT'S really showing my age.
£10.99 for the latest releases and £2.99 for budget games laugh

They'd be the cassette releases, though: if you wanted a cartridge (why would anyone not want the excitement of guessing when you'd get an "I/O Error" from crinkly tape? :-D) you'd pay pretty much the same price a game costs today, 25 years on. :o

J'aime le fromage.
OP Offline
Commodore C16/Plus4 & C64 games for me and if you didn't like it you could take it back haha! smile

The Amiga would change everything with price tags of £24.99 - the price of games have held out well since then when you think what we are playing now. Was hard paying £40-£70 quid on Sega Megadrive carts mind lol.

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
old hand
old hand
Oh come on you guys were lucky. The closest shop I could buy C64 games was in Antwerp and I had to pay what they were asking cause it's not as if I could go to the competition or anything. (Half hour drive depending on traffic and parking was hell.)

There was a "computer store" in another city closer by, but they only had three or four C64 titles (old, full price, dusty boxes) cause they didn't think computers were really made for gaming opa

Tweeting @forktong
journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, don't forget to record/copy it before taking it back! laugh
I was in the Spectrum camp myself, how did the old argument go? The Spectrum has better graphics, but the C64 has better colours etc etc.

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
old hand
old hand
In the late eighties and early nineties, the kind of stuff they pulled off on a 64 was mind-boggling. I don't think a ZX Spectrum could pull off Last Ninja III for instance. Graphics-wise AND sound-wise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyH8f-bW-FY

I still hum this tune now and then smile

Tweeting @forktong
journeyman
journeyman
Come on now, I thought those wars were far behind us :P
The last Ninja series was one of those games I wished I was good at, you had to have some skills not to get your ass kicked by simple thugs, I just ran...

Now, back to the wars... comparisons

Midnight Resistance 128+ ftw laugh

OP Offline
We were lucky in the UK, almost all corner shops would sell the likes of Mastertronic 1.99 titles, Codemasters, Firebird ect... We also had Boots in competition with WHSmiths. I can't remember the store name but around 1987 a shop named something like Ultima was the first real 100% dedicated gaming shop - GAME put them under in the early 90's. Was a great shop for it's time!! frown

GAME when it first opened was also a GREAT shop, but some years later Electronic Boutique bought them out but kept the name. I called Elec Boutique the Dead Skin shop because you would not always get new stuff in the box - this was before the days of Part-xing.

C64 SID ruelz and yeah Last Ninja was awesome. smile

Manics of Noise
Turbo OutRun

Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Turricain 1 & 2. I loved Rick Dangerous. Thrust was awesome too.

Spectrum had a really cool version of Super Sprint!

I still have all my retro stuff. smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Sigh, I used to envy the Commode 64 users, and those with BBC Micros and Spectrums and VIC-20s and Orics and Amstrad CPCs and... pretty much everything, since they all had better sound and graphics than the lamentable efforts of my Dragon 32. Then again it had a better CPU than any of them; shame it was crippled by the rubbish Microsoft BASIC of the time (some things never change) but it was interesting nonetheless. Funny to think how things have moved on, like floppy disc drives being so cheap you can hardly give them away now when a reasonable drive and controller would set you back about £400 (not sure what that is in today's money, but probably over a grand) back in the day...

J'aime le fromage.
369 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
Bring back the days when WHSmiths was 'the' place to buy your games at.

Showing my real age now. :hihi:

Ha...amateurs...

I had a binatone home console when I was about seven that played about 12 variations of pong in black and white, this was years before even the Atari 2600 came out... grin

Last edited by 369; 16/12/10 10:50 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 369
Bring back the days when WHSmiths was 'the' place to buy your games at.

Showing my real age now. :hihi:

Ha...amateurs...

I had a binatone home console when I was about seven that played about 12 variations of pong in black and white, this was years before even the Atari 2600 came out... grin

lol I just don't want to admit I had a lot of fun with that back in 1981_ish??? My dad had one and we played the then Virtua Tennis for days none stop. stupid

Had Snoopy Tennis Game & Watch xmas 1982 because of that... Donkey Kong .Jr was better. laugh

OP Offline
Oh yeah, just incase anyone missed it. Last Ninja & Divine Divinity share something in common and I understand wholeheartedly why ForkTong is fond of it. Big Repesct!! claphands

369 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
lol I just don't want to admit I had a lot of fun with that back in 1981_ish??? My dad had one and we played the then Virtua Tennis for days none stop. stupid

I remember playing the binatone around the time I was taken to see Star Wars for the first time...so that's around 1977!!!

When did the 2600 come out, early 80's was it? My age befuddled brain plays tricks on me sometimes...

journeyman
journeyman
Oh yeah, just incase anyone missed it. Last Ninja & Divine Divinity share something in common and I understand wholeheartedly why ForkTong is fond of it. Big Repesct!! claphands

Hrrm, That's why I found Divine Divinity so freaking hard! I couldn't beat the first dungeon where you start and gave up. (running away didn't work!)

stranger
stranger
I bought Divinity II DKS on release day for £39.99 horsey

Doing some last minute xmas shopping for the kids and had a snoop in GAME and they are asking £42.99 for DKS in the high street shop today!

We all want the game to do well, but putting the price up which I have never seen in all my years of gaming just two weeks before xmas is taking the!!!!! Just when Fable 3 has a price slash... Out of all the games why DKS??? suspicion

Remember folks prices are cheaper online but seening as GAME and GAMESTAION who are both the same company have the upper had being the only big retail shop on the high street to stock it just be a litle careful.

Online price at GAME £32.99
Link: Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (Xbox 360)

**rant over**

I bought my copy for £27.99 new, sealed instore at Game, on sale yesterday.....well pleased as you're right it was 42.99 on Wednesday last week. Thats in line with there online pricing which is good to see......might sell better for sure to the more casual/newcomer to rpg crowd at that price.

stranger
stranger
Just bought DKS from gamestation for £27.99, i bought divinity 2 when it first came out on the '360 and it annoyed the heck out of me, lol! but could see there WAS a great game there so am trying again with this, hopefully, massively improved version.

bananas are good!
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Was in a large GAME store at a retail park today and they've halved the price of Fallout New Vegas, £29.99 down to £14.99

Guess its not selling as well as they'd hoped.

But get this, a "GARDENING" simulator was £39.99

A gardening sim computer game, well I'll eat hay with a donkey.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Knight Flyer
But get this, a "GARDENING" simulator was £39.99

A gardening sim computer game, well I'll eat hay with a donkey.

Actually they're not as daft an idea as you'd think: it's much easier to make your design mistakes with a simulator than an actual garden while you're trying to figure out what to do with it. Speaking as someone with a "difficult" garden. That said, I've never bought such a package, just saying I can understand why people would.

J'aime le fromage.
80 million people play Farmville. There is a market out there :hihi:

old hand
old hand
When Div2 Ego Draconis came out in Germany, we went hand-to-hand with some kind of farming tractor simulator...

Tweeting @forktong
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by ForkTong
When Div2 Ego Draconis came out in Germany, we went hand-to-hand with some kind of farming tractor simulator...

Oh, that was a stroke of bad luck. If only the competition had been something less awesome like Mass Effect or New Vegas... grin

J'aime le fromage.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard