Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello all,

We think we have the FOV2DKS patches ready which we promised here, but given our workload it will still take some time before we can get them tested properly. Since a couple of people here suggested they'd gladly help us testing FOV2DKS, I'd like to invite you to participate . You need to have (legal) versions of Ego Draconis with FOV installed on top of it, and when you apply the patch, the ED part of the game should now play like DKS. Warning though: installing this patch will prevent you from loading any of your previous savegames. That's the caveat of the FOV2DKS patch.

Let us know via support@larian.com if you'd like to give it a go, and we'll give you installation instructions (from next monday on)

old hand
old hand
To clarify: these are not the current FOV patches that are mentioned on this forum, these are the FOV2DKS patches, not FOV patch 2.

Tweeting @forktong
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Are you looking for people to do a complete playthrough or just to do whatever bits of testing they can manage? If the former I'm probably too fatigued right now to do so in a timely manner, but if the latter then I'd be glad to help out. I just figured I'd ask before enrolling in the programme...

J'aime le fromage.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I will happily do testing laugh I mentioned in a thread before that if you needed play testers I would happily do so. I am at work right now but in about 6 hours I'll be home and I could get started then.

In case I'm not remembered from support before, I'm running the English(US) DVD version of ED with the downloaded FoV from the Larian Vault.

Last edited by lazuranthas; 16/12/10 05:20 PM. Reason: edition information added.

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
veteran
veteran
Restriction to have a legal copy is a bit stupid. I mean really, it is obvious that the best testing will be from DKS users, since they played it and can notice the bugs easily. But who in the sane mind would buy the same game TWICE?

I think you need to change the way hot users can test the patch. Just because you REALLY need massive testing consider the fact how buggy Div2 patches was :P Otherwise, you get another buggy patch, just more HUEG.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Well, believe it or not, but piracy is a crime. The fact that it is so easy to steal software does not make it legal. To allow to use pirated copies is to encourage it.
Besides that, in testing people have to make sure the bugs are from their patch, and not a result of a pirated software.

journeyman
journeyman
What's in the patch?

journeyman
journeyman
I think you misunderstand the requirement:

You don't have to buy ANOTHER copy. You just have to own 1 legal copy -- this patch, patches it. You just can't start with a stolen copy.

journeyman
journeyman
???

FOV2DKS? Flames of Vengeance 2 Dragon Knight Saga?

Do you mean the combined game? Was FOV sold separately w/o DKS?

I only saw FOV sold w/DKS....

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Astara
Do you mean the combined game? Was FOV sold separately w/o DKS?

I only saw FOV sold w/DKS....

FoV was sold as an expansion to Ego Draconis, albeit only as a download in most countries. There're a few differences between ED+FoV compared to DKS which this patch presumably aims to eradicate; sounds interesting, at least from my perspective...

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I am confused. If you already own Ego Draconis and the Flames of Vengence, this patch will remove the need to buy the new The Dragon Knight Saga??

old hand
old hand
If you have Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance, the FOV2DSK patch will indeed bring your total game completely up to par with Dragon Knight Saga.

Tweeting @forktong
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
and again, just for clarification, if you install the fov2dks patch, your old save games will no longer work, at all. That's the price of having the fully functional DKS. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but maybe for some people it is?

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
The patch is downloading laugh I'll install it when I get home from work tonight and I'll let you know how it went. Thanks to Lynn and David for your help in this. Larian is awesome.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Well, so far the patch seemed to install successfully, but I can't install any of the updates for DKS as it tells me it can't find any installation of DKS, I'm thinking this is just due to the launcher's searching for a certain folder name, I'm looking into a way around this. If anyone knows of one please share laugh The patch DID install, setup completed successfully and the icon has changed, the game loads up the intro movie and then begins to load the menus. Alas, at that point only a black screen shows up. I'll post more as I know it. After I mess with it a bit I'll also send an email.

Update:

I managed to get it installed and I can load a game up and play, if you try to load pre FOV savegames it of course crashes, I did try, just to see what would happen. My saves from after arriving in FoV work as far as I can tell so far. There are issues with the graphics in the options menu, it appears that the menu is corrupt. I'll keep testing and post my findings here later. I did install the FOV2DKS patch into a different directory, and then I copied the FoV files into that new directory, that was the only way I could get it to load past the intro movie. Plus this way, if I go into the registry and change the setting 'addon' back to fov, I can still launch the game in it's previous incarnation, without having to uninstall and reinstall the game. To avoid any trouble that might cause, I've backed up C:\Users\'myuser'\AppData\Local\Divinity2\ both profile and save games, and deleted the information under the 'Profile' folder so that it reloads all the files from that folder each time I change 'addon' value. Oh, you also have to change the game path to the correct folder if reverting to the FoV installation.

Last edited by lazuranthas; 24/12/10 01:18 AM. Reason: Updated Post Information

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Here are the images of the screens I've taken so far showing the corruption, and both the DKS main menu and the FoV main menu. As well as a shot of the possible graphics corruption. I've wrapped each photo in a spoiler tag and labeled it, so if you don't want all the images loading they don't have to laugh

Graphics corruption?
[Linked Image]

FoV Main Menu
[Linked Image]

DKS Main Menu
[Linked Image]

Last edited by lazuranthas; 24/12/10 01:50 AM. Reason: wrapped images

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Ok, after much tweaking and then changing back to the way it was, I couldn't get farther starting a new game than the man at the entrance to Farglow before it crashed, and loading a previous save from FoV either immediately crashed or crashed within the first 10 seconds of playing. I've finally just uninstalled the game and am reinstalling from scratch after scouring the registry to make sure it's clean, and cleaning up all the info in the AppData folder. I'll let you know how it goes with a fresh installation.

Note:
I had also earlier mentioned loading original ED saves up in DKS, I am not quite sure why I was initially able to do this as after the game crashed and I had reloaded, all ED saves were dark and said 'Obsolete save game'

Last edited by lazuranthas; 24/12/10 05:24 AM. Reason: updated loading ED games

ava Offline
No need to try install any updates of DKS, you're already completely up to date (1.4.9.70) and users who converted DKS from FoV will still have to use the FOV patches, which will serve both versions. But there are no updates at the moment.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Thanks for the information laugh The current standing of the FOV2DKS on my system is that if I try to install the patch, it seems to install fine, it also shrinks the game folder to ~6GB. However, if I leave it that way, the game loads and then I get only a black screen once the intro movie has played out and the loading screen icon spins. It looks like it really wants to try and load up beyond that point, but it will not. If I copy the files from the backup I made of my installation prior to the patch into the folder, the game does indeed load. All the menu and loading screen graphics are corrupt at that point though, and as I show in the picture of the options menu above, none of the options check boxes show up. The game also crashes when trying to enter Farglow if you begin a new game, or as it completes loading a save game from FoV, or within 10 seconds of loading said game. That is after a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game and the patch. If I don't install the FoV2DKS patch, the game works great as it always has. Also of note, after applying the FOV2DKS patch, in the registry under the DTP key, the version number there is 1.4.3, rather than the 1.4.9.70, though if you copy the old files over the patched version of the game, and do not overwrite the files that already exist, you can get to the main menu as shown in a picture above, and it displays the correct version.

Last edited by lazuranthas; 24/12/10 01:13 PM. Reason: version info

apprentice
apprentice
Hi !

Seeing how great the whole game was (just finished it two days ago) and how you (especially Farhang Namdar and Bert Stevens, thanks again guys if you read the forum) have helped me with some strange bugs I had, I'd really like to help you with some testing if you still need help. Feel free to pm me or mail me about how to get the patch.

By the way, I don't know if it matters but I'm playing with a French version of the game.

Last edited by Flying gg; 27/12/10 02:20 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard