Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Everytime I force AA even 2x the game runs at 7 fps Can't move my Char around frown

Any way to force AA In game??

Tried with two graphic cards got same result slow performance with both
AMD 5970 and GTX 580 SLI

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
This is normal. Forced AA works on very different way then built on engine AA. Some engines handle forced AA better, some worse.

Last edited by Galnospoke; 17/12/10 09:38 PM.
C
C
I believe the reason AA doesn't work properly is because of the dynamic poly feature included in the game engine. I can't say for certain whether this is the case for the code base Larian is using. But this is one of a handful of games that actually implement this without requiring the emerging HW tessellation support. Its actually the main reason more developers don't use this feature; it was criticized by multiple publications for these issues when it was first announced.

veteran
veteran
Because it is sucky gamebryo. Nuff said.

journeyman
journeyman
How do you enable forced AA?

I enabled 16xQ in the game and get 43-48 fps with a GTX295, but I'm using "Enhance the application setting" instead of "Override application setting".

16X on anistropic, supersample, textLOD-clamp, textfilt-highqual,
trilinearopt-off, triple-off, max-pre-rend=1, vert-sync=off

C
C
Astara, I think you answered your own question... you have to override and force an AA level.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by candlebbq
Astara, I think you answered your own question... you have to override and force an AA level.

I'm not sure that override works; it doesn't on ATI cards (on Windows 7, anyway) as far as I can see; I thought it was just me but read about others having the same problem.

Then again, forced AA in Windows 7 usually kills performance anyway.

J'aime le fromage.
C
C
Originally Posted by Vometia
I'm not sure that override works; it doesn't on ATI cards (on Windows 7, anyway) as far as I can see; I thought it was just me but read about others having the same problem.

Then again, forced AA in Windows 7 usually kills performance anyway.

Naturally the reply is not intended to be a general solution. He was clearly asking in regard to his own system which has an nvidia card. And in no-way as I and others have discussed does it make AA work properly. He was simply asking how he could force enable the feature.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by candlebbq
Naturally the reply is not intended to be a general solution. He was clearly asking in regard to his own system which has an nvidia card. And in no-way as I and others have discussed does it make AA work properly. He was simply asking how he could force enable the feature.

I wasn't contradicting you - just adding that if it decides not to work at all, he's not the only one. smile

J'aime le fromage.
C
C
Sorry about that. It's pretty late and I actually did misread your statement. I thought it said something to the order of telling me to read about other people with the same issue. lol

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Tried overide mode and enhanced nothing worked...

It seems that the game Is only using 50% Gpu usage ...

Specs:
i7 965 @ 4.2Ghz
2x EVGA GTX 580 stock clocks

S
stranger
stranger
S
Does anyone know what the in-game anti-aliasing option does? I mean, what type of anti-aliasing is it and how strong is it supposed to be? tbh on a 9800GTX+ 512 enabling the in-game setting has either a non-existent or a very subtle effect on the visuals, and no FPS impact.

I'm not sure if it's some eccentric 'work-around' form of AA like edge-smoothing or if it just isn't working...

I mean, way back in the Oblivion days AA wouldn't work in combination with HDR...I wonder if that's still the case.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Szoreny
I mean, way back in the Oblivion days AA wouldn't work in combination with HDR...I wonder if that's still the case.

I did wonder if there might be some commonality what with them both using the Gamebryo engine; bit of a wild guess, though, and you could force AA with Oblivion using the hardware settings. Well, it sometimes worked anyway. Bit like ED, then...

J'aime le fromage.
O
apprentice
apprentice
O
HDR and AA would not work together in Oblivion only on certain cards..ATI I believe.

Fallout and New Vegas support HDR and AA working at the same time. On either brand...ATI or Nvidia.

I run both those games with 4 AA, 16 AF and HDR ( Fully maxed at 19x12..V-sync on etc ) and get a steady 60fps.

This game is weird though...

Still maxing it though...using in game AA, V-sync on etc.

Looks great...still could lose a few jaggies though.

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Szoreny

There was a special compatibility hack for Oblivion. Could be enabled with nHancer/NV Inspector for Nvidia's cards.

It does not work for D2 tho. None of the hacks are compatible with thr game, I tried them all.

C
C
HDR isn't the issue here. Although early gamebyro releases had issues with HDR since the developers couldn't decide how to resolve 16b values to viewport color space before applying AA. Sad, yes. Even the half-life 2 code base released 6 years ago figured out how to do it. But that issue aside it is up to the licensee to implement most of these features. The base libs included with gamebyro do not do much on their own and are certainly not optimized to the point where they function properly with everything enabled.

Anyway the main reason HDR and AA don't work together with gamebyro is because of compat issues between different platforms. They decided it would be either or since compat was their primary objective. That and they thought AF would be sufficient eye-candy.

But as I explained in my previous post, I suspect that's not the only issue at work here. If you do manage to enable AA poor performance will result due to lack of other optimizations as well.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I would love to enable aa In this game...
It looks fantastic however It's unplayable when I force aa I get like 7fp :S

I guess I'll have to wait for Nvidia to Implement mlaa Into their drivers...

Better than nothing at all laugh

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard