Next Thread
Print Thread
#432663 22/12/10 07:30 PM
Shaver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Is there any chance of getting a screenshot of your wrong FOV ? (apologies if it's already somewhere)

How does one go about taking screenshots in this game? Do I need to create a directory and if so where? Do I need to disable/enable something in the graphics? I have tried everything that I could and cannot get the [Print Screen] to work. Why is it so difficult to make a simple screenshot???

I'm running 64 bit Win7

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
Shaver #432664 22/12/10 07:41 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I just use Fraps for mine. Which is at... erm ... wanders off to Google ... www.fraps.com apparently.

Edit: though you still get all the HUD and stuff. No idea how to turn that off, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Vometia; 22/12/10 07:41 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #432667 22/12/10 09:11 PM
Shaver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I know that but, that's like putting a bandaid on a deep cut. I should be able to just hit [Print Screen] and be done with it. It's built-in Windows function. I shouldn't have to install another program to perform such a simple task. I particularly hate those games where you have to go find a config or an ini file and physically type in something like "screenprint=1" lol! Just retarded imho!

Shaver #432669 22/12/10 09:18 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
True. But so many games and other apps require multiple fiddlings with the config file, or taking a second screenshot because your character blinked and consequently has the message that the previous screenshot was screenshotted in the corner, or which write the file in an artefact-laden jpeg format, and to a directory that I can't find, or even if I can find it it's 18 levels deep and takes 15 hours to navigate to using Windows Explorer, and that's if I can work out which key is used for screenshots, and ... etc. Whereas if I use Fraps, they all get written to the same place in a nice uncompressed bmp format without any extra gubbins drawn on the screen and no faffing about with config files. Which I quite like. smile

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #432672 22/12/10 10:12 PM
old hand
old hand
Well I had no problem using the printscreen key in win xp. Just printscreen, open up paint and paste it. Done.

vometia #432683 22/12/10 11:36 PM
Shaver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Sorry Vometia but as I said before, I shouldn't have to pay $40 and buy software to make up for lousy game programming. I still would like to hear from a Larian representative to tell me if at all it is possible to capture D2 FoV screen running under 64 bit Win 7.

p.s. Why would you be saving your captures in bmp format when Fraps is well capable of saving them as jpg?

Shaver #432684 22/12/10 11:44 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Shaver
Sorry Vometia but as I said before, I shouldn't have to pay $40 and buy software to make up for lousy game programming. I still would like to hear from a Larian representative to tell me if at all it is possible to capture D2 FoV screen running under 64 bit Win 7.

The normal version of Fraps is free. I'd probably be of like mind if I had to part with money; the free version is more basic but it does what I need, i.e. screenshots.

Originally Posted by Shaver
p.s. Why would you be saving your captures in bmp format when Fraps is well capable of saving them as jpg?

Because jpegs are Teh Evil(tm). Or more specifically they use lossy compression, which means whenever you work on them they lose quality. Once I have my bmp files, I convert them into a smaller non-lossy format such as png. I know in the case of screenshots it's probably overkill to worry about such things, but avoiding jpegs (with the exception of size-constrained web uploads) is generally good practice.

Edit: turns out the free version only supports bmp format anyway, but that suits me fine.

Last edited by Vometia; 22/12/10 11:47 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #432738 23/12/10 08:06 AM
old hand
old hand
We use Fraps to make our own screenshots so actually never coded any screenshot functionality to be part of the released game.

Lar_q #432746 23/12/10 08:19 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Lar_q
We use Fraps to make our own screenshots so actually never coded any screenshot functionality to be part of the released game.

Is it possible to turn off the HUD and stuff (or at least to do so easily)? I noticed there was an option to disable the crosshair, but not the other bits and pieces.

J'aime le fromage.
Shaver #432747 23/12/10 08:21 AM
ava Offline
As a "Larian representative" I can tell you that you can take a screenshot by simply pressing the 'PrtSc' key. You have to disable Aero for that to work though.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
ava #432801 23/12/10 04:30 PM
Shaver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
ava, "as a Larian Representative" solved the problem smile
It was indeed Aero disabling the PrntScrn functionality in div2
I turned off Aero and switched to Win7 Basic Theme and I can now take screenshots. I think this is something for Larian to think about in the future programming thankyou

Shaver #432808 23/12/10 05:56 PM
ava Offline
I'm not so sure whether we can help it, if Aero is enabled you're actually running your user interface on DirectX. The game does that as well so I think that DirectX gets confused on which screen it needs to capture, the buffers from Aero of the buffers from the game. It will take the one from Aero which are currently black...

But that's just me guessing, no certainty.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard