Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
Seems kinda expensive exp point wise.

Some times it pays off..but other times I hesitate because of the cost.

I have 5 in mind reading..1 point I got at the start and the other 4 I got with a pendant and some earrings...

Some NPCs are very expensive to read even then...

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
At the early stages of the game I just used quicksave and quickload to see if people were worth mindreading - as well as the stat/skill bonuses, there are certain quests that can only be solved with mindreading, so it's worth doing if you have the time.

Later on you'll be able to train mindreading up to level 15, at which point it won't cost any XP, so the problem is solved. I didn't start mindreading everyone until I had maxed out mindreading, but I've found so many extra still points that I wander if I should have done more mindeading earlier.

Definitely mindread everyone in the "Hall of Echoes" - almost everyone gives you a skill point.

M
addict
addict
M
I'm not sure you should, but I always do it (Laurel... ? Hardy... ?).

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by melianos
I'm not sure you should, but I always do it (Laurel... ? Hardy... ?).

That laurel and hardy I never understood frown

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheAnime99
...That laurel and hardy I never understood frown
Maybe you should Gooogle Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy wink

Last edited by Shaver; 25/12/10 02:19 PM. Reason: added link

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
apprentice
apprentice
I have played through D2 once, and I am on the second run. But I can´t remember what you had to do to be able to get mindreading up to lvl 15(I have reached 13). Do you have to reach a certain level or did you have to upgrade your trainer? I just can´t remember. I am SO curious, pretty strange, I know...

What is the value of life, without God, if no one created the value but mankind. Answer is no value...
Except from when playing D2:DKS!!!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MC VS ARBITER
...I can´t remember what you had to do to be able to get mindreading up to lvl 15(I have reached 13). Do you have to reach a certain level or did you have to upgrade your trainer?...
Trainer? What trainer? You make up for the difference by wearing an item that has +Wisdom on it.

Okay, another blonde moment. I meant to say +Mindread above and typed +Wisdom instead. Sorry.

Last edited by Shaver; 25/12/10 08:27 PM. Reason: Blonde Moment!

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
I think you can only get mindreading up to 15 in the flames of vengeance expansion. Otherwise it's locked at 10. Or 13. Or something like that.

Basic rule of thumb for mindreading is: If it costs a LOT to mindread, then they probably give you something good for doing so. Maybe you'll trigger a hidden treasure or something.

But yeah, the only time you'll really want level 15 mindreading is in FoV when everything costs you like 25k XP to mindread.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eliirae
...Basic rule of thumb for mindreading is: If it costs a LOT to mindread, then they probably give you something good for doing so. Maybe you'll trigger a hidden treasure or something...
You may want to go here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26771&Number=432702#Post432702 and read my post from a few days back. It's the 5th one from the bottom.

I pushed Mindreading to L-3 on my very first character but never have put in more than 1 point into it on any of the other characters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I ended up mindreading everybody after the first few levels, opting to always pick extra xp as a reward to make up for some of the xp lost, but ya a better way would be to save/reload if all mindreading does is give you some flavor text or commentary.

Originally Posted by Shaver
You may want to go here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26771&Number=432702#Post432702 and read my post from a few days back. It's the 5th one from the bottom.

You know if you hit the little note looking icon next to the subject of a post it adjusts the URL to jump directly to it, so you don't have to tell people what to look for laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you Nasuradin. I didn't know that and couldn't figure out on my own. I always knew there was a way tho lol. Thanks again kiss

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Shaver
...Basic rule of thumb for mindreading is: If it costs a LOT to mindread, then they probably give you something good for doing so. Maybe you'll trigger a hidden treasure or something...

I pushed Mindreading to L-3 on my very first character but never have put in more than 1 point into it on any of the other characters.

Let me clarify: I never said mindreading unlocks new things if you level it up. I'm referring to when you mindread certain people extra items appear elsewhere that would not be there if you never read that person's mind.

I still prefer pumping mindread up to 15 in flames of vengeance, though. Amassing 100-200k+ EXP debt isn't fun.

enthusiast
enthusiast
...Amassing 100-200k+ EXP debt isn't fun.
That's peanuts! 14 skill points wasted that I can use more wisely.

O
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
I ended up mind reading everyone..

Has really paid off...big time.

Definitely worth the exp loss...especially the stat and skill bonuses. Not to mention treasure.

Even mind reading everyone in Broken valley I was still lvl 14 when I entered Maxos temple.

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
journeyman
journeyman
No duhh mindread is the key essence in completing the game so mindread everyone to unlock chest's,locked door's, secrets, legendary weapon's and armour and even the story. just mindread everyone for gods sake!!

stranger
stranger
When I hit a new section...I mindread everything and anything I can,then I kill and quest.Works fine for me.

old hand
old hand
XP is based on level of main char and level of monsters. So you will essentially catch up with yourself as if you never mindread since as you level up higher than the monsters, they give less xp per kill.

It would be different if they gave the same amount of xp regardless of your level.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
XP is based on level of main char and level of monsters.

That doesn't seem to include quest XP though. I finished the game at level 48, so spent a lot of the time ahead of the curve. So my monster XP was very little, but the quest XP was enough to keep me leveling regularly.

apprentice
apprentice
I have played through D2 once, and I am on the second run. But I can´t remember what you had to do to be able to get mindreading up to lvl 15(I have reached 13). Do you have to reach a certain level or did you have to upgrade your trainer? I just can´t remember. I am SO curious, pretty strange, I know...

The first time I played through D2(only,not the expansion) I was able to get mindread to a level where it did not cost any exp. But then you say that you got to buy the expansion to be able to get it to lvl 15. I don´t understand. If I did not get it to lvl 15, how was I then able to mindread without paying for it? Is it even possible to mindread without losing exp when mindread is in lvl 15?

What is the value of life, without God, if no one created the value but mankind. Answer is no value...
Except from when playing D2:DKS!!!
apprentice
apprentice

The first time I played through D2(only,not the expansion) I was able to get mindread to a level where it did not cost any exp. But then you say that you got to buy the expansion to be able to get it to lvl 15. I don´t understand. If I did not get it to lvl 15, how was I then able to mindread without paying for it? Is it even possible to mindread without losing exp when mindread is in lvl 15?

It's possible they rebalanced it with DKS so that it requires level 15 to have no-cost mindreading, whereas in ED it might have required 13.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard