Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Specifically, I mean when I look down on the ground, the camera zooms out like 20 feet into the air, and when I look up, the camera goes all first person.

I really really dislike this and would like to have it more static - similarly to how it was in Risen for example.No zoom outs zoom ins.

Would that be possible to do somehow, maybe in a patch or something? Pretty please.

veteran
veteran
Not only you. Tons of ppl asked for the customizable camera, but, like with pale FOG and small fonts, Larian totally ignores such requests.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Well, it is not like devs should jump as soon as any fan says them to. There may be some technical difficulties with it, or ammount of work does not make it worth, or may be diffirent fans make completely opposite requests. They take our suggestions and complains into consideration, but they filter them through their own perception.
Why don't they listen to fans all the time, and don't try to fulfill all of their wishes? Probably bec. it is impossible to please everyone (people want completely opposite things), and Larian devs are smart and confident in their vision of the game. As they should be. PB listened to much while making Risen and we all know how it turned out.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I agree the camera is very eccentric, - when you see something on the ground the instinct is to swivel the camera down to take a closer look, this is of course when the camera zooms out....

I mean, Larian has made sure important items are highlighted but the thing is still counter-intuitive.

I keep rolling my mouse wheel thinking it'll move the camera in and out.

P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
vivaxardas - I have no idea what are you talking about in regards to Risen : )

I loved Risen, the last two chapters were weaker but still good, but first 30 hours or so were amazing.
But this is OT...I would just like to know official confirmation that it will or will not be possible to customize.
I will still play Divinity 2, especially now that patch that fixed my widescreen problems is out, but my enjoyment would be better with more static camera.

veteran
veteran
vivaxardas - I have no idea what are you talking about in regards to Risen : )

Same here - Risen was awesum. There was no disadvantages in the gameplay or interaction system, only in the plot/story which is - ofc - devs fault and has nothing to do with the community.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
It is off-topic: Risen is a reasonably good game, but not a masterpiece. Enough people consider it a G2 clone. In the game there is practically everything people requested, but nothing new. Way too much time was spent talking to the fans, way too little time for creating something unique. Game design is a form of art, and it is a bad idea to decide by voting or counting noses what features a game should have, and how they should be implemented. Devs listen to us, read what we post, and take it into consideration. Good enough for me.

About camera in DKS: In Xbox demo it is totally ok. No weird movements as you describe. The Hero has a certain height, so when you look on the ground, camera is above it, definitely not 20 feet, more like 6 feet. It would be weird if it just drop down, as if he is crawling.

Last edited by vivaxardas; 26/12/10 10:00 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by vivaxardas
It is off-topic: Risen is a reasonably good game, but not a masterpiece. Enough people consider it a G2 clone. In the game there is practically everything people requested, but nothing new. Way too much time was spent talking to the fans, way too little time for creating something unique. Game design is a form of art, and it is a bad idea to decide by voting or counting noses what features a game should have, and how they should be implemented. Devs listen to us, read what we post, and take it into consideration. Good enough for me.

I've seen various discussions about this and a prevailing opinion seems to be that if they listen too much to the self-styled "hardcore fans", they end up creating a game that has extremely limited appeal - and not just regarding the random comments about "casual gamers". Good way of going out of business. Though that's certainly not an endorsement of going to the other extreme and not listening at all.

As far as Risen goes, I enjoyed it a lot at the time, but it was a bit of a one-time play and not something I'd see as an A-grade game. On the other hand I don't want that to sound overly critical either and would gladly see more of the same.

J'aime le fromage.
P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Just so we all know what I mean, I made some screenshots:

camera looking completely down (I hate this!):

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3986/divinity220101226122027.jpg

camera looking ahead (this is how it should be all the time!):

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1509/divinity220101226122036.jpg

camera looking slightly up (I can live with this...):

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2756/divinity220101226122045.jpg

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Camera looking down - you are right, this is weird. As if this screen was from old D2ED, where camera was always that far. I played DKS Xbox demo, there was nothing like this there. It must be a bug.

Last edited by vivaxardas; 26/12/10 07:18 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Make sure you have the radio button ON on "Enable Free Camera." It's hiding under the "Gameplay" tab of your OPTIONS. You should have been here before the "Patch 2" lol. You never got to see your character's face before that.

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
I tried the option "enable free camera" both on and off, and the result was exactly the same.
It is as if it did nothing.

Maybe a bug?

Dae Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Paulcz
I tried the option "enable free camera" both on and off, and the result was exactly the same.
It is as if it did nothing.

Maybe a bug?

I noticed the same thing...or the lack of any difference when "enable free camera" was on or off.

What really bugged me was the camera constantly resetting to the middle point on the vertical axis when I would move strafe left or right. I eventually got used to it, but it was a pain trying to open a chest, have to move just a bit and then look down again.

O
apprentice
apprentice
O
Camera is fine for me.
Wish it had a first person for just walking around and exploring though and then automatically switching to third person for combat etc.
But as is ..it does not affect my enjoyment of the game.
I've seen better camera views...but I've also seen a lot worse.
It would not stop me from buying another game with the same camera view....especially as fun and awesome as this game is turning out to be.

One of the best games I've played in 2010..worth every penny!

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
By "Camera is fine for me." you mean that when looking down, it also zooms high out for you, but you do not mind, or do you mean that it does not do this for you?

For me it is really diminishing my enjoyment, I want the camera to stay closer to my character no matter where I look frown

O
apprentice
apprentice
O
It zooms out...but I don't mind.

In fact I kinda like the camera as a whole in the game...no adjusting or fussing with it or having to use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out, or the infamous screen edge to turn....just a simple mouse movement snaps it where I need it.

I can understand your frustration with the limited range of the camera...and the zooming out while looking down is kinda wonky.

But it still doesn't bother me enough to deter any satisfaction that arises while playing.

I just don't notice it after awhile..

Sorry to hear it really bugs you though.

Peace..

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
apprentice
apprentice
The camera is a bit of a pain but the overall game is just too good to let it bring me down.

P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Oh well, I guess I will try to get used to it. Still, would be nice thing to have in a next patch, if it would be feasible from programming/testing perspective : ).

C
C
The camera is most similar to action/adventure games. If you've played the relaunched Prince of Persia series or some* of the Tomb Raider games you'll notice similarities. Personally when I first played these new action/adventures I was highly disappointed with how the action camera system works. But I'm used to it and the DKS camera doesn't bother me. In fact, before you brought up the topic I didn't even notice it.

*not all were done by the same developer or in the same style so it doesn't apply to every game

P
Paulcz Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
candlebbq, I have played last 2 TR games and Prince of Persia 2008, and there the camera does NOT zoom out when you look down. This zooming out is the only problem I have here, without it the camera would be perfectly fine for me.
I just do not like it when my character is far away from camera, it takes away from my immersion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard