stranger
OP Offline
stranger
PC version
retail copy
Computer:
Windows XP Professional
Geforce 9600GT video card
(let me know what else you may need to know)

I was able to proceed through the installation smoothly; however, at the very end an error message popped up stating:

"Unable to execute file:
E:\support\larian\PhysXRegInstaller.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 14001.
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I then hit okay and the Divinity 2 installer said it was finished and allowed me to either click "play" or "go to website". I clicked "play" and I received another error message stating:

"Unable to execute file:
D:\Program Files\Divinity II - Ego Draconis\bin\Divinity2.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I have reinstalled 3 times, same issue continues. I have restarted, rebooted, ran anti-virus programs, made sure my computer can run .exe correctly (microsoft troubleshooting)... everything I can think of. I have no idea what to do.

"Bags! It's the toasted toads truth!" - Zed
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
This is probably a stupid question, but are you logged in as administrator when installing? It sounds like it's failing when it tries to edit the registry, which could be caused by permissions.

It might also be worth updating your NVidia drivers if you haven't done so recently - NVidia offers hardware support for PhysX, which seems to be where your install is failing.

Good luck!

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid actions. It would be amazing if it was that easy; however, sadly I am logged in as an administrator.

I've downloaded:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-260.99-whql-driver.html

from their site. Do you think there might be a specific PhysX support driver that I might have overlooked?

By the way, thanks for your help.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I looked through the driver update and saw that PhysX was included; therefore, I believe I am up to date with the PhysX hardware support.

Just for extra information:

"Unable to execute file:

Is the only error popping up now. The first one about the PhysXRegInstaller only appeared that once.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Hmm..

I looked up the error code 14001 - It seems to be a problem with the Visual C++ redistrubutable install. This is required for any programs that were written in Visual C++ - if the redistributable is missing/corrput/wrong version, the program can't run, hence the error code.

Now I've got the Steam version on Windows 7, but hopefully your install should be similar. Find the "Divinity 2" program folder under "Program Files", and hopefully you'll have a subfolder called "support".

Under this should be a folder "VCRedist", in which you'll find the installers for two version (v80sp1 and v90sp1). Clicking on them should give you the option to "repair" or "uninstall". Repair might work, but if it doesn't, a complete uninstall and reinstall of both redistributables might work.

I'm guessing here, but it makes sense - reinstalling the game wouldn't necessarially reinstall the redistributable, as the redistributable is a shared resource amongst all programs on your system.

You could also try reinstalling the PhysX drivers and the DirectX drivers also found in the games "Support" folder, but apart from that I'm all out of ideas - maybe someone from Larian tech support can help.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've checked out the Divinity 2 program folder in my program files and I do not have any "support" folder.

The files listed are:
Folder name \\ Contents within folder
Divinity 2: \\ website links, installation notes, readme, uninstall, game icon photo
- Autoupdate: \\ autoupdate link
- Bin: \\ nxcharacter.dll, physxcore.dll, Divinity2.exe
- Data: \\ error messages file, languages file
-- Video: \\ Skills movies, intro movie, story movies
-- Win32: \\ game files and folders (none containing repair or support)

Last edited by transendence; 29/12/10 04:44 AM.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Sorry, can't help then. Maybe the files are on your DVD? Try searching filenames for "redist"?

You could uninstall all the redists on your system using "add/remove" progrms, and then reinstall the game, but I wouldn't recommend it - it may not be the issue, and it will probably mess up your other games forcing them to be reinstalled.

I guess you'll have to email tech support. They usually respond very quickly, but they might be on holidays this week.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks Trippy!

I looked on the dvd like you said and found the support folder. I wasn't able to find the redist file, but I instead reinstalled all the files there individually.

The game is now loading! Problem #1 ::check::

Problem #2:
The cut scenes/movies play perfectly, but when the actual game runs the sounds/voices are extremely glitchy as well as the the movement/actions.

I just want to say that I can play Starcraft 2 and Masseffect 2 at full with no such problems so I don't believe it's the inability of my computer to run the graphics/game.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I would add that this problem continues regardless of low-medium-high video settings.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I'm glad it's working! Given you have the disk version, you'll probably need to manually install the patches - there's a single file for both patches on this site.

Unfortunately I think your performance issues are you hardware. I used to have a 9800GTX (50% faster than your 9600GT), and it ran Mass Effect 2 fine at 1680*1050, but it was slow on Fallout 3 - I had to cut the graphics detail and resolution down to keep things smooth, especially outside.

I mention Fallout 3 because it's based on the same "Gamebryo" engine as DKS, and because DKS is much more recent, it probably pushes the engine harder. I'd upgraded to a GTX295 SLI setup before I bought DKS, so I can't comment directly.

You're well within minimum specs, so you shoudn't have problems at low detail and/or lower resolution.

EDIT: Just saw your second post (while I was writing this one) - What's your CPU/RAM/Resolution?

Last edited by Trippy; 29/12/10 06:23 AM.
ava Offline
The PhysXRegInstaller is a small exe that was shipped with the DVD of Ego Draconis, not The Dragon Knight Saga.

Thus since you have Ego Draconis I advice you to update it to the latest version, you can do that by running the autoupdater.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Trippy:
I'm running with: 2g ram, 1280 x 1024, 32 bit, 60Hz, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs). I'll grudgingly admit that I may be outdated in the couple years since I built my computer.

Ava:
I updated using the autoupdater, but the issue still persists.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Your computer specs seem fine - you're obviously not going to be able to run high detail at full HD resolution, but at 1280*1024 I would have expected it to be OK at low detail.

I think your graphics card is the weakest link - it might be worth turning off hardware PhysX in order to free up more power for 3D graphics. If you right-click on your Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA control panel", you should have an option for "Set multi-GPU and PhysX configuration" under "3D Settings". From here, under "PhysX Settings" set "Processor:" to "CPU" and click "Apply".

IF that doesn't make any difference, then you'll probably have to play around with the advanced graphics settings. You might even have to drop resolusion to 1024*768 - but if you've got an LCD monitor with 1280*1024 native resolution I can understand how this would be annoying.

Good luck - the game is definitely worth the effort smile

ava Offline
Any software/anti virus thingies running in the background?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
It's definitely not the 9600GT being a problem, when I first bought Ego Draconis I had a 9600GT and after I updated the game to version 1.03 everything ran fine. I've since bought a GTX 460 but it did run fine on the 9600GT 1GB edition. I did notice that you have 60Hz screen refresh, can you change that, or is there an option for vsync in ego draconis? I can't recall, but disabling vsync might help if it's enabled.

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
veteran
veteran
"Unable to execute file:
E:\support\larian\PhysXRegInstaller.exe

I then hit okay and the Divinity 2 installer said it was finished and allowed me to either click "play" or "go to website". I clicked "play" and I received another error message stating:

"Unable to execute file:

It has nothing to do with drivers... It's VC++ redist issue. Check your CP, remove all current instances of VC redist and reinstall latest VC++ redist 2008 sp1.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard