Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Hello,

I am utterly frustrated right now. I just purchased Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga off Steam and went to go play it but encountered a problem:
My saves from Ergo Draconis don't work! The reason I am attempting to contact you is because I feel like I have been mislead. While reading info The Flames of Vengeance I was lead to believe I could use my old saves and continue the game. So I finally had some money to spend on it and bought The Dragon Knight Saga off Steam as it was the only way to get the expansion pack on Steam.

So after some research it turns out that my saves aren't compatible with this version. There was NO info about this on Steam and there is NO way to refund the game on Steam. My only option is to either give up all the hours I invested into my Ergo Draconis save to collect all of my armor set and whatever else and play a new file or buy the game again on your site.

Please do not leave me stranded! I would like to request a copy of The Flames of Vengeance as I already payed for The Dragon Knight Saga (And the original Ergo Draconis game itself). I just want to continue the game that I invested a lot of time in.

Thank you for your time,
Alexander
-----------------------------

Still waiting for a response to my email. In the mean time I was wondering if anyone thought I was asking too much? I mean I already payed for the original game and the dragon knight saga. Should I have to also pay for FoV under these circumstances?

What do you guys think?

It's a bit like buying a CD off itunes and then asking for one song that you already purchased on that CD for free.

I feel bad but at the same time I really do felt mislead by this and I'm a college student struggling with money right now.

I can even confirm that I purchased it.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008828437/

My profile shows all games I own all that would have to be done is for my account to be contacted and my identity confirmed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I also bought ED first on disk. I played it, liked it very much despite all its short comings, even finished it. Later I found out there was an expansion called FoV to it. When I realized it was not available on disk, I started to read the Forum for insight and recommendations. Somewhere there, I did find out I could only get it in digital format and that my ED endgame saves would not be compatible due to all that remastering and replacing the game engine. Yes, I was very disappointed also but, I understood why Larian had to do that. I liked ED so much that I simply wrote it off in my mind and downloaded DKS from Amazon.com (I know better than going thru Steam). I started the game from scratch and have done that 5 times already. Never did even think about looking back to ED. That disk is now under several others and I've not worried about the $19.95 I spent on it.

This is how I feel about the whole thing.

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
@Shaver
Well first that's awesome! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
Second, the saves should work with FoV still, right? I know DKS is all new but http://www.larianvault.com/product.php?item=1 should still be fine? All I'm asking for is a copy of FoV which is half of the DKS.

I really don't have the time to replay the entire game especially the time I poured into finding and completing my special armor set. I really, really don't have the money to straight up buy FoV now that I've purchased the DKS. I'm right in the middle of my college campaign and I'm counting every penny at the moment. It was a huge deal for me to purchase the DKS and a huge compliment to Larian that I used my limited funds on their game.
It sucks to have spent all that time on that armor set and perfecting my character in anticipation of FoV to finally load up DKS and see "Saves outdated" or whatever. There wasn't a description on Steam telling me that I would no longer be able to use my saves and Steam doesn't sell FoV on it's own.

Steam really needs like a return policy. A 2 hour window to get a refund.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by QuidProQuo
...Second, the saves should work with FoV still, right?...
The saves from DKS will work with FoV. As a matter of fact, there's a seamless transition from DKS into FoV when you beat DKS. Also, FoV can be played as a stand alone with the premade characters. The Saves from ED cannot be used with DKS or the FoV.

veteran
veteran
That's incorrect.
Saves from DKS will not work with FoV, only saves from DKS will work with DKS. FoV is an addon and compatible with ED only. And only saves from the same language version of ED will be compatible with FoV (german <-> german, english <-> english).

A
veteran
veteran
A
There was NO info about this on Steam and there is NO way to refund the game on Steam.

Make sure to tell that Steam as well. THEY are ALSO responsible for correct information. They could have contacted Larian to get info on DKS - what it was about, compatibility, patches, etc. - and so I believe that not only Larian is responsible for this.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Actually, saves from FoV do work with DKS, as long as it's in the FoV part of the game. Saves from ED do not work in DKS though.

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
D
stranger
stranger
D
You guys confused me.

I'm currently playing though the first Ego Draconis. I havent finished the main quest but it was bought with the DKS package.

Will the save game from Ego Draconis transition properly into FOV?

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
they should work, here's how it goes as far as I know. Ego Draconis saves will work in FOV. Ego Draconis saves will not work in the Ego Draconis version of DKS as it will tell you it's an obsolete save. If you've reached the end of ED you should be able to continue with that save in FoV, or if you already have FoV installed it should transition into it seamlessly

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
veteran
veteran
I'm currently playing though the first Ego Draconis. I havent finished the main quest but it was bought with the DKS package.

If you play original Ego Draconis (not DKS) then no, you can't use those saves later, in DKS.

Just tell me what you bought.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
I totally agree. Steam should of made sure they had the information and they should have a return policy in place for situations like this through a limited window of time after purchase. Larian as well should of made sure Steam was equipped with the proper information for consumers to make a choice.

Sadly contacting Steam is very difficult and there is no direct way to contact them. Also regardless of what happens I'm certain Steam will do nothing for me as their return policy is clear. It pretty much boils down to "Too bad so sad" while they roll in money.

However my instincts tell me that Larian wouldn't be as cold-hearted about it. However, I am still awaiting a reply which is cause for worry. I know they are a small group with lots of work to do so I'm going to try and be patient.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kein
That's incorrect.
Saves from DKS will not work with FoV, only saves from DKS will work with DKS...
That's incorrect!

I said: "As a matter of fact, there's a seamless transition from DKS into FoV when you beat DKS." And I've done it 4 times already. I finish DKS and I find MY character in FoV automatically.

I never said "you can transfer characters from DKS into FoV."

I also said "FoV can be played as a stand alone with the premade characters." Meaning, you can choose to play FoV without having to finish DKS by using one of made-in-Larian characters.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Not a single reply since the automatic reply I got when I first sent the email.

"Hello,

Thank you for your message. Your e-mail has been successfully delivered. You will be contacted again in a reasonable time period."

Yeah right.

Getting frustrated now.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Sadly contacting Steam is very difficult and there is no direct way to contact them. Also regardless of what happens I'm certain Steam will do nothing for me as their return policy is clear. It pretty much boils down to "Too bad so sad" while they roll in money.

Steam can be contacted by raising a support ticket through their website. Not that there's much point since their responses tend to be unsatisfactory. For example, I've just had to submit a case to our local Trading Standards office due to Steam's "no refunds under any circumstances" policy: I had the digital equivalent of a shrink-wrap EULA sprung on me in the form of Ubisoft's infamous DRM scheme lurking in the post-sale terms & conditions, which I unsurprisingly didn't accept. Steam's attitude is "tough luck, loser". It remains to be seen if I'll get anywhere, but I prefer not to do business with companies that'll only offer at best the legal minimum protection.

Larian have tended to be far nicer to deal with in my experience. If they haven't replied to your initial email I'd just send them a polite reminder: that's all it took last time I seemed to have been overlooked.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Hi QuidProQuo,

During our X-mas break support was being handled outside Larian and apparently some of the support mails got lost.

While I don't know what happened to your message, as far as I know - Steam had a program in place for owners of Ego Draconis to replace their copy with The Dragon Knight Saga at a reduced price, and advertised it as such.

We've tried to be as clear as possible about the differences between FOV and DKS, so I'm sorry to hear that there still remains some confusion. On most digital stores both FOV and DKS are available (but not on Steam) and I guess not seeing both titles adds to the confusion, but there's little we can do about that.

Ideally we would make an official character exporter/importer for ED to DKS, the FOV part, but as we're still struggling with our schedules to release the FOV2DKS patch , I can't make any promises on that for the moment. But still, since we'd like to help you out, please contact support@larian.com again, and reference this thread.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
@Lar_q

Thank you for the response. I've resent my email to support as you suggested.

veteran
veteran
Hello QuidProQuo,

Our publisher, Focus, will contact you concerning this matter.

All the best,
Lynn

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard