Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I just got done playing Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, and I must say the ending is really really unfulfilling... frown

perhaps its because after working hours through the gameplay and storming fortresses, etc.. the ending is basically the equivalent of getting pummeled by a mob early on and getting a "game over" screen. Except this one has a cutscene and more time devoted to it.
Or maybe because your thrown back into a memory and forced into trying to kill probably the two basically good characters in the game and you don't even attempt to explain the situation to them or reason with them. And you don't get the option not to free Ygerna either smirk which by that time you have enough hints that that's probably not a good idea. I keep finding myself wanting to do the "optional" ending of intentionally letting myself get killed at the end for the greater good.... No cutscenes but at least I almost feel like I accomplished something... It feels lame that grinding through all the floating fortresses apparently doesn't have any impact on stopping Damian.

It really is too bad because I was absolutely loving the game before that frown I especially liked the plots surrounding the interaction between the Dragon Slayers and Dragon Knights, Rhode, and the main characters transformation... and I liked having Tanala there as sort of a guide and friend to the main character and having the character develop into her role as a dragon knight... well until tanala "oh hai! I'm actually evil and tricked you the whole game" obviously. I really felt like the main character needed someone they could build a relationship with in the game that the audience could put some amount of trust into. I also really liked the music and gameplay and settings, which I thought were very welldone, my only complaint being that mobs had a tendency to switch off being too hard and too easy at parts.

Last edited by Sapphyra; 20/08/10 06:01 AM.
Support
Support

The add-on picks up at the end of the main game, so your character's minor setback evil is temporary.

When talking to Ygerna's memory of Lucian and Zandalor, I wished there was at least an option to try to explain your position. Being memories, though, I can not see them altering their actions drastically from Ygerna's perception of them, and she doesn't consider them especially compassionate or reasonable. Of course if they were complex enough to react normally, they would not necessarily just believe that they were not real, decades have passed, and that Damian (in their minds still a good, if slightly rebellious, 15 year old) has waged war, committed genocide and needs to be killed if humanity is to survive.

Ending is a MAJOR disappointment.

The next patch (expected with the release of FoV / DKS), among other things, will reduce the level dependency of combat.

Welcome to the forum. wave

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
hey! and ty for the welcome smile hmm maybe I'll check out the add on then smile is it out yet? Is the ending fulfilling? I hope this isn't one of those series where they feel like its a good marketing strategy to keep leaving the ending at a cliffhanger lol :P

But yea! I wish they would have allowed you to try to explain the situation to lucian and zandalor!! I think zandalor would have at least listened or given you more information on why reviving her is a bad idea. Also, since the whole point of being in her memories is to alter them drastically I don't think it makes sense that there would be a block there.. and even if there were it seems like talking to zandalor and lucian is sorta not as drastic as killing them and setting ygerna free, but who am i to say hehe?

Support
Support

The German version of FoV is out, but other releases are planned for mid October.

FoV concludes the story of the dragon slayer, so isn't a cliffhanger. Lar stated in another topic "For what it's worth - people who see the ending of Flames Of Vengeance smile".
On the other hand, a Divinity 3 is at least planned, so you're probably not going to completely wipe out all evil and usher in a golden age of peace.
evil

The real Zandalor believed it was necessary to revive Ygerna, so it should be possible to convince a memory of him, as well (assuming it was complex enough to think rationally). Actually, even just convincing them that they were memories should be enough to stop the execution (similar to the dialog options you could take with the skeleton smith in Lovis' tower, or the existential skeletons in Divine Divinity).
There could even have been a point where you question the strategy of resurrecting Ygerna, but that would be enough of a break in the recurring memory to have the same effect as stopping the execution.

At some point during development, someone from Larian stated that there were no dialog changes based on the gender of the character, since the amount of text already in the game was fairly large. I don't know if publishers have some kind of limit, but the cost of localization, etc, does go up with the word count. Unfortunately, the mass market appeal goes down with the word count.
Even so, it would have been nice to have a couple different approaches for the end section, even if they all ended up with the same result.

stranger
stranger
Lucian wasn't the most terrible... Zandalor was very aggressive in comparison with Lucian, but I don't think you can really convince them.

"Hello I'm a dragon knight and ask you to let Ygerna live. Why? Because all of you are just memories of what you've been and if you let her live Damian will die in the reality.
Damian will link his soul after Ygerna death and so Zandalor think this: Resurrect Ygerna will kill Damian... I never thought of what next, maybe she'll kill herself, aging and die or something else but there is the point: You'll commit an error and I come to stop you before."

They just discover that Damian is "awake" and want to kill Ygerna because she's culpable... I really don't think they've time for that (and it's... Like you try to convince them just for save Ygerna, like a traitor.).
You don't have proofs too, for them it's not a memory but the real life so just imagine to convince someone to do something completely opposite to what he is because he isn't...

The only weird thing is the fact that Damian never come... Normally Ygerna have seen the whole end and what come after, so the memories must have Damian's come too... Why did he never appear? A little help of the damned one was welcome for sure...

Come from the flames, burn in the fame.
Support
Support

I would have been fine with being unable to convince them to stop the execution, but it would have been better to at least get the option to try.

apprentice
apprentice
it all comes down to one thing .....we were told a lie. did Talana come up with it? I don't think so, because as we all know dragons can put things into your mind and take control of it. remember that Damian is a dragon as well.....it was his Idea originally, and fed to the right people {in the story}, it became real. even though this was to be a dream of yergana's execution, no one was there to help orchestrate this in your behalf.....where was Zandalor.....he said that he would meet up with you later. it was all part of the guise for Damian to have his lover back. what puzzles me, is that the thought that this would change more than Yergana's death, was never conceived....it hastened the divine's death, as well as putting you in the mix.

to give another thought to all this....was talana's mind weakened by trying to stay alive, running from the slayers.....that Damian was able to put this idea in her mind, knowing that she would be mind-melding with a lesser being...a newbie slayer. she seemed to know which way to go and what steps to take next....but then again, so did Zandalor. so, where did this lie, become truth?

I can't wait to get the expansion.....I don't like being used like that....time for some payback!

Support
Support

Since killing one person of a soul-forged pair kills the other, it isn't entirely unreasonable to think that in a live / recently deceased soul-forge (something never before done) that resurrecting the dead person would kill the living one. Talana and Zandalor could have made this assumption without being influenced directly by Damian or Ygerna.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by seymoregutz
I can't wait to get the expansion.....I don't like being used like that....time for some payback!

Indeed!

What is the value of life, without God, if no one created the value but mankind. Answer is no value...
Except from when playing D2:DKS!!!
addict
addict
Just finished and I personally liked the ending as well. For the people that didn't, its a trilogy! It is not going to be resolved in one game! I am just really glad I just found Draconis so long after it came out, shorter wait time for FoV here!

Question, can you import your character with the same equipment? I really liked my set up at the end of the game. Also, does FoV have the Dragon play from Draconis? I really liked that.

Last edited by born2beagator; 20/01/11 07:40 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by seymoregutz
it all comes down to one thing .....we were told a lie. did Talana come up with it? I don't think so, because as we all know dragons can put things into your mind and take control of it. remember that Damian is a dragon as well.....it was his Idea originally, and fed to the right people {in the story}, it became real. even though this was to be a dream of yergana's execution, no one was there to help orchestrate this in your behalf.....where was Zandalor.....he said that he would meet up with you later. it was all part of the guise for Damian to have his lover back. what puzzles me, is that the thought that this would change more than Yergana's death, was never conceived....it hastened the divine's death, as well as putting you in the mix.

to give another thought to all this....was talana's mind weakened by trying to stay alive, running from the slayers.....that Damian was able to put this idea in her mind, knowing that she would be mind-melding with a lesser being...a newbie slayer. she seemed to know which way to go and what steps to take next....but then again, so did Zandalor. so, where did this lie, become truth?

I don't think Damian is a Dragon, is he? Seems to me he is a demon.

Support
Support

With the PC version of the game you can install FoV, load your existing save and continue from that point (there is a seamless transition into the add-on content).

Right now D2:ED saves are not compatible with DKS, due to various changes made. Lar did mention the possibility of creating a tool to import a D2:ED save and export it into the FoV section of DKS, but if such a program is release I don't know if it will also be available on the Xbox. In theory such a tool could make it into the US Xbox release (as long as that change wouldn't force them to restart any testing, etc), or be released as DLC.

FoV is primarily in human form, but there is a large dragon battle. There was initially going to be an open Broken Valley type area, as well, but it got cut (see Lar's post in this topic about the design of FoV).

To be honest, I don't get quite some points with Ygerna.
First of: at what exact point did Talana stop being Talana? I didn't really get the breaking point, where Ygerna took over, but for sure it must have happened early on, perhaps in that moment, where Talana gave you her gift? Once you hear the voice in your head, it's Ygerna, or isn't it?
Second: how exactly would the Hall of Echoes stuff work? If they all are just memories, stopping the chop chop, wouldn't make a difference in real life, would it? Even if Damian's Soul Forge with Ygerna didn't work quite well (which it did, by resurrecting Ygerna Damian didn't die, how strange?), how would resurrecting her be possible from just a memory?

Other than those points, it's an awesome game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm not 100% convinced that you ever encountered
Talana herself, just her already dead body: I think the whole thing was a set-up by Ygerna right from the start. At the least, I think she had total control over Talana's final moments of life, the point you met her, and just took it from there.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
There was a dead dragon there as I recall - probably the real Talana (I had some different ideas some years ago but can't remember what I said frown ) making the human form a complete hallucination, ie, Ygerna from the beginning.

The dead dragon body was definitely Talana's, but she was a Dragon Knight, half human, half dragon, why would she die in her dragon form, she was originally human, turned into a Dragon Knight like the hero, shouldn't she die in her original human form? That's also pretty confusing, and adds to the Talana/Ygerna confusion even more. But the same goes to Orobas, you find his dragon form's skeleton in his lair. So before the Dragon Knights die, they turn into dragons?

Last edited by Levianne; 13/11/19 07:55 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think they probably just leave whichever physical form they have at the time of death.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Agree.

Support
Support

Form a plot perspective, finding a human skeleton would not be nearly as dramatic as a dragon skeleton. Or as obvious, since even in Orobas case, a human skeleton there could also have been a servant, dragon slayer that Orobas killed before leaving, a treasure hunter that found a way in but couldn't get out, etc (a bunch of human skeletons in the fjords would also not have been as memorable as dragon skeletons, or necessarily signified there was anything special about that location).

Oh I haven't thought about it that way, makes sense now. Thanks.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard