Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rubeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
You know, DKS is quite a spectular game and I'm VERY pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it is. Having said that, there is something that has been bugging me for a while: I was wondering if it's possible to raise the skill caps for Life Leech and Dual-Wielding Expertise (or any other weapon expertise) up to 15? It seems like it should be, but none of the trainers are willing to raise it that far for me.

I have the steam version of Dragon Knight Saga - don't know if that one has the 2.0 patch pre-applied or not - and just recently finished the Ego Draconis part. My Battle Tower trainer, Hermosa, was capable of raising almost every skill cap I wanted up to 15, but she could only raise Dual-Wielding and Life Leech, along with a few other mage and ranger skills up to level 13. No biggie so far, I figured this was done on purpose so as to differentiate Kenneth and Hermosa: she would be able to raise most of the physical active skills all the way to 15 and a few passives only up to 13, while Kenneth would be the other way around or something of the sort.

However, I have now begun the expansion and noticed that there are two trainers in the ministry to, supposedly, fill in that gap and allow you to raise everything up to 15 that your chosen BT trainer couldn't in the first part of the game. But Life Leech and Dual Wield Expertise (or any other) don't show up on either of their lists or Hermosa's, so I'm stuck with those two skills (which are pretty vital to my build) at level 13.

My theory is that you can only upgrade the caps twice (either 10 and 15 or 7/8 and 13, depending on the trainer's limit) and, since I had raised the caps on those skills in the Ego Draconis part twice (and reached 13, hermosa's limit), now I can't get the upgrade from the trainers in the ministry to 15, because I've already upgraded twice. Is that it? And, if so, is that intentional or a bug? I'll probably do just fine with a 13 points cap, but I'd really like to raise it to 15 for completion's sake, especially since they're kind of the focus of my melee build.

Support
Support

At least in D2:ED, Life Leech and the weapon expertise skills maxed out at level 13.

The two skill trainers are the same in their abilities; they only differ in the prices they charge (Hermosa is a little cheaper for combat skills, while Kenneth is cheaper on mage skills) and the quests they give.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Rubeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh, I see... Guess my theory was shot then.

Makes sense too, since at level 13, the offhand weapon bonus catches up to the main hand at +25% damage. Weird, though, is that there's an Ego Draconis walkthrough that mentions leveling Dual Wield Expertise to level 15 and having the offhand weapon do MORE damage than the main hand (and he was pretty accurate in everything else, so it's pretty odd that he got this one wrong).

Thanks for welcoming me and for the quick reply!

Support
Support

Seorin's walkthrough for D2:ED lists Dual-Wielding Expertise up to level 13. Maybe there is/was a typo somewhere.

addict
addict
The weapon expertise skills only go up to level 13, along with Life/Mana Leech. They're the only ones that do, and no way to increase them beyond it. That's for ED though. Dual wield, specifically, ends up at 25% damage boost for main hand, and 50% for off-hand (making off-hand much stronger).

Rubeck Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Sorry, guys. You were right and I got confused, here's why:

The walkthrough did in fact say level 13 was the maximum. It also mentioned, like you guys, that at higher levels the offhand is much stronger than the main hand.

HOWEVER, it seems that these values were changed for the DKS version of the game. In DKS, even at level 13, you only get 25% main hand AND 25% offhand, making them equal at the top level (which, if you think about it, makes sense... if your "main" hand became more effective than your offhand, then your "main" hand could no longer even be called that :p). And this is why I thought you could still raise them a little bit higher than 13 - because I was waiting for that level in which my offhand would surpass my main, but it never showed up since the skill was rebalanced in DKS.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the confusion.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard