Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kensei Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Jan 2010 - I played the original... fortresses on foot -- manageable.

Did someone order more archers? Mages? (oh and thanks for the CHARGING mages... very funny)

I did my fly-by destruction... hit the ground running and I cannot kill 1 mob before I'm hit from 6 sides with magic and arrows... whiskey-tango-foxtrot people?!!?

No dragon indoors, I will give that to you. But all the ground troops vanish as soon as you take flight? That's crap. Especially now that there's a billion ranged wankers on the ground now.

It's not that I cannot damage them.. if they don't toast me in 3 seconds.. I'm one-shotting mobs now... the dps is there... but the dozens of ranged in those areas is just nuts.

Funny thing to do... charm some tool walking near the door and just watch what's coming for you.. after about 5 seconds he's toast.. hit from every angle (all ranged).

ugh.

Support
Support

Try another area first, and return when you have better equipment, etc. Does your current equipment have enchantment slots you can change or upgrade to help?

A different landing spot may help as well. If you are at the edge of a platform with a rock wall to one side, there are a limited range of directions you can be attacked from as you advance.

Maybe summon your creature and Hide in Shadows (at least long enough to move out of the line of fire, heal if required and attack from a different direction).

The game was originally designed to allow the dragon form to attack ground opponents, but it required too much memory and had too much of a frame rate hit; see Lar's post in the topic Design ideas for Divinity 3 (mostly for Larian).

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
There are lot of archers, but I cannot say they are too difficult. I cleared up two fortresses so far.

If I had a criticism toward fortresses, it would be that they are too expansive and there are many of them, similar in design. They are not as bad as Oblivion gates, but they are not the most interesting locations either.

journeyman
journeyman
I thought they were a good way to level up, and take a break from the MQ.
As Raze says, land in a decent spot, aggro them, retreat, slaughter, save, repeat. smile

Last edited by D00M; 20/01/11 12:19 PM.

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
Kensei Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Oh I do pull them out of the structures to whack em... it just takes SO long to do it that way. And for some reason the archers bug out and fall through the wall and I get unexpected adds.

I've managed to get my damage to the point I one-shot them... has anyone been able to reduce damage with skills to the point that you're mitigating damage to a decent degree? Granted I would like 50% but I'm sure that's probably not possible.

Melee damage against isn't the problem, it's the ranged attacks that's insane.

stranger
stranger
Actually, i have found fortresses in DKS super easy(and whole DKS as well), to the point that i am considering reinstalling original D2 and buying FOV for it.

(Not sure if it's spoiler or not):

They appeared much smaller with much less mobs and almost non-existent AD barriers(i think there is only very few in total),and i haven't had any challenge in clearing them out.At the same time i had no need to pull them out of structures.(i was playing on Hard difficulty)

While i really like XP rebalancing and new armor placement, i am rather very disappointed with fortress thing.

Kensei Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Ok, sorry for the drama... I think I might have been aggravated from something else, up late etc.

I used a bow, shot it in the air in the middle of each coliseum or open area, a bunch would run out the door, BOOM - whirlwind - all dead. Wash-rinse-repeat. Didn't take too long.

And man, the boss of each area... I'm beating them down much easier than I did the first time around. I suppose either I put the points in correctly this time or Larian tuned it down?

wink

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard