Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Support
Support

I checked Amazon.ca and a couple other places in Canada, but Amazon doesn't ship software out of the country and the others didn't export period...

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Virc
... The only downside is that you won't have an English paper manual.

Oh, that's what that strange booklet is that I always ignore... grin

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Virc
Sadly enough there was no distribution deal for UK retail release of the PC version.

It is however possible to buy the retail version from another European country (except Germany) because those versions all include the English language version. The only downside is that you won't have an English paper manual.

For example you could use amazon.fr to order it online.
The game will be in English and there will be an English language manual in pdf form.
I'm sure Larian Studios can come up with any number of reasons as to why there was no distribution deal for UK retail release of the PC version. But when all the excuses have been put forth, the bottom line is that the game has been withheld from the UK market. How can Larian Studios and their publishing partners believe that such actions would not have some sort of consequences? Do Larian Studios believe that they are so finacially secure that they can simply ignore certain markets?

Suggesting that potential customers should purchase from another European country is just ridiculous! Ah well, Larian Studios' loss is another developers gain I guess, there are plenty of other games being released to the UK market that I can purchase so I'll just go and spend my money on those other games.

journeyman
journeyman
But we can still buy it online. It's not like we don't have access to it, so it's hardly withheld.

We just can't get it in our preferred format, that's it.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Dwagginz
But we can still buy it online. It's not like we don't have access to it, so it's hardly withheld.

We just can't get it in our preferred format, that's it.
So that justifies not releasing the PC version to the retail UK market? confused If I wanted to buy a digital download version I'd have done so, but I wanted a physical copy. I shouldn't have to spend months trying to find a distributor whare I can actually buy the version I want, nor should I have to spend possibly several hours downloading a game that costs me the same price as the retail version but that actually gives me less for my money (no disk(s), no manual, etc)!

Maybe next time they'll decide not to release to the retail North American market. Or maybe they'll just decide to release as digital download only. Or maybe, due to such poor "business decisions", the studio simply closes. jawdrop

Support
Support

Larian didn't 'decide' to not release a DVD PC version in the UK, just like they didn't 'decide' to wait to release a North American Xbox version (there is still no US DVD version either). If no publisher in a particular region will pick up a certain version of a developer's game, and there are financial, legal and/or logistical reasons the developer can not self-publish, then it is not a case of withholding a game.

If Larian was 'so financially secure' they would have a lot more interest from publishers, and a lot more influence over them.

How is it ridiculous to suggest importing a game from another country? I've ordered lots of games from the UK that were not available locally and had to be gotten online (and shipping times to Canada are often faster from the UK than US). There were lots of people in the US willing to order the PC version of DKS from Canada if any of the places that carried it would ship there.

If you have to have a particular version from a particular region, then simply wait for a re-release of the game and see if a UK publisher eventually picks up a DVD version. Or feel free to blame Larian and never buy the game, if you wish.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Grizzly UK
So that justifies not releasing the PC version to the retail UK market?

No, and I never said that. My point was that we still have it available to us, whereas you claimed it had been 'withheld'. No, it's not been withheld - That makes it sound as if Larian have the ability to get it released in the UK but have decided not to.

Point is we have access to it, just not in the way some of us would prefer.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Then I'll apologise for my choice of the term "withheld", although whatever term you want to use, whether it's "withheld", "unavailable", "unreleased", "unpublished" or whatever, it still boils down to the fact that physical retail copies of the game for the PC are not available on the UK market and probably never will be! As I've said before, I'm sure there are any number of reasons as to why this has happened. Whether it's down to the developer, publisher, retailer or a mix of all 3, it still doesn't change the facts.

If people are happy to adopt the "no matter, go buy the digital download or import from another country" attitude then that's their choice to do so. I've chosen not to do that, and not for the first time either!

It's a simple process of elimination really, first I would have complained to retailer(s) for not stocking the game, but that's no good because retailers cannot stock the game because it's "unavailable". Pretty much the same for the publisher, because it seems there isn't a publisher! It seems I'm now being told not to blame Larian, so who's left to complain to?

I really would have liked to buy a physical copy of DKS, check my post that started this thread, I had actually pre-ordered it from Game.co.uk until the release day passed by and Game cancelled my pre-order! Sadly, for whatever reason, my preferred choice of purchase is not possible, so now I've decided to move on and purchase other games from other developers/publishers. If people want to make me out to be the bad guy then go ahead, I hope that makes you feel so much better!

Support
Support

We were not making you out to be a bad guy, just objecting to your choice of terms implying it was a decision on Larian's part not to release a PC DVD version in the UK (or apparently the US). You are welcome to propose it was a failure on their part, though. biggrin

I don't buy recent (ie mid to full price) releases without trying a demo, and cheaper games usually at least require a recommendation from a trusted source, so don't begrudge you any conditions you wish to place on how you spend your own money.

There were jewel case budget re-releases of Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, so maybe that will happen with DKS, as well. There may also be a time limit on region exclusivity, so the Canadian DVD version (assuming you want an English manual) may eventually start showing up there at places that import games, or online at places that ship outside Canada.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard