Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Hello all, I'm new to this game having just gotten in. I did play Divine Divinity a long time ago, but I was much younger and don't remember much of it, so this is a new experience for me. Firstly, I gotta say I like the game so far. Graphics are beautiful, the world is well-realized, surprisingly good voice acting for a European import, so no complaints there.

What I'm wondering is whether I'm doing something wrong because the game just seems very hard. I'm playing a straight mage character, relying on magic missile, fireball and the like. I've gotten as far as Lord Lovis' tower, but now it seems that wherever I go, there are hordes of skeletons shooting at me (is it me, or does it seem like everything in this game has a ranged attack?) - I take a few down but then run out of mana when there's more than half of them left. And just 20 feet further there's the next group waiting to attack me. So now I'm out of mana, low on health, and I barely made a dent in the monsters. Was the mage a bad idea? I'm thinking of starting over with a warrior-type.

A second, unrelated question is this: I didn't choose lockpicking my first time through because I kept wanting to upgrade my spells. However I'm running into a lot of locked chests. Am I missing anything good by not having the skill, or is it just random loot? Thanks.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Hi. Hopefully you will enjoy the game! And Divine Divinity was awesome, if I were you I'd play this one too!

I played as a Mage my first time aswell, and, as with almost all mages in games, at first you are a bit weaker than the rest (not really weaker than the warrior though, he seems underpowered imho), then you're superior. If you get through these harder moments and get Way of the Mage (the final skill of mage, requires level 20), you will be uncountered.

Nevertheless, get a good bow. It will be useful, as you will not only be hurting them with magic, but also with arrows. Switch to shield + onehanded when enemies are close, or just jump backwards.

Avoid ranged attacks, space + direction.

Warrior IMHO is the hardest in this game, as there is no blocking, and Archer/Mage deals basically the same damage BUT without being endangered by being too much up close. I play on Nightmare now, developed my char bad so I have to be avoiding things a lot.

About second question, it's just random loot but random loot can be very good.

Last edited by GabeN; 30/01/11 12:53 PM.
Support
Support

When you get access to the full Broken Valley, there are a couple easier places you can do first, before the skeletons around Lovis' tower. At least in D2:ED, these skeletons are hard for any build; there was some rebalancing done in DKS, so you could reach a higher level by that point in the game, etc.

Newbie needs help, I think I missed something! (D2:ED topic)

Hey well i am new and need some help :D;) (D2:ED topic)

Welcome to the forum. wave

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Thanks for the answers, all. I guess I'll be sticking with my wizard after all. I discovered a goblin mine/dungeon of some kind to the north of the tower, and it seems to be pretty big, so I'll clear that out before heading back. Man, I'm really starting to wish I'd taken some lockpicking. Locked chests everywhere...

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
If anything I found the game really easy (playing a Mage as well). But a mage cannot become reliant on magic alone until they're a decent level - I think I was in my low teens before I had enough mana and damage to kill just with magic.

Until then, use a bow, you'll find it much more effective than your mage spells at low levels. But don't put any points into bow skills, bows become much less useful when you level gets high.

And by the time you reach level 40+, you'll be killing pretty much any opponent with a single fireball, so you've got something to look forward to wink

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Hmm, I'll probably start over anyway. For my next build, I'm thinking bow + summoned zombie until I can get my damage spells up a decent amount. Oh, and I'm definitely getting lockpick. Damn chests, laugh at me will you? Ok, I'm gonna go try it out. smile

edit: Started over and put points into lockpicking. It seems that an added benefit is that you can rob every house in town and nobody seems to notice or care smile

Last edited by Johnny_B; 31/01/11 01:37 PM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Nope, nobody reacts if you plunder their homes. I suppose it has something to do with what you do for a living. wink

-----

I have to agree that combat can be tough. As long as it doesn't get ridiculously hard, however, I find it a welcome change from many games where you are never really in danger unless you do something stupid.

A bow and a zombie sounds like a promising build to support you magic at lower levels. I use that combination to support my main battle tactic, which is two-weapon fighting. As long as you have the space to move around, you should be able to pick off your opposition one at a time.

If you want to take down your enemies with magic, you might consider supporting your basic magic attack with Charm. It can totally turn a sticky situation around, since it temporarily takes care of two or more enemies in one go - they end up fighting each other. According to those who know the game better than I do, Charm becomes less useful at higher levels since many powerful entities are immune, but by then you should be able to re-train.

Hide in Shadows is a magicky way to escape if your enemies manage to close in on you. It can be quite neat even with just one point put into it.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
GAME is great but seems too hard to me also!
If I have not read some spoilers and watched wlkthr videos , I would have missed many things or would be stuck at one of the bosses *I don't want to spoil!

THIS GAME IS GREAT!!
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I also wish sometimes that there would be some kind of official walkthrough when i got stuck in game. but is

Last edited by pall; 03/02/11 08:42 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Too hard?...are you kidding me?
There is no hard part even in Very very very very Hard mode the best is when the lot of f..... archers still keeps you in Stun and flee always...Charge FTW xD but has a CD...Try the Warrior :P 1 Whirlwind=all dead+full HP Or the ranger,you shoot them from the otherside of the map :))The only class whit the game is a nightmare is the Mage/Priest,Very hard if you play the game for first time.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I played the demo on casual, I prefer exploring to fighting, but it does tend to catch you off guard occasionaly with an unnatural spike in difficulty like my level 2 character suddenly being face to face with level 5 skeletons, but I think I got it pegged, so far non of the enemies follow if you exit an area, so if my health gets low I scarper out of the area and wait.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Too hard ? Yes - it was at least with the original Divinity 2 game - and that for rangers, this was my personal experience.

I don't know how it is today, since I don't have DKS.

One of the points is that Powergamers are easily attracted by Action-RPGs - and Powergamers ALWAYS distribute points so that they'll get the most combat-heavy character. No matter whether using magic or close combat or ranged combbat or whatever.

Powergamers are also quick with computing which skills give the best results for their price - I call this "points shopping" - and they re very good in maths, computing everything out ...

And they know what they do. They often have a distinct plan on how to develop their character into the most powerful direction.

The problem with this is, that me, for example, I'm not used o this kind of thinking (in PG terms). I want to play a riole, not play a mercenary (that's why I absolutely LOVE Drakensang 2 !!! - in contrast to the rather combat-heavy Drakensang 1), who is an Über-fighter, but lack so much in (mot implemented) social skills he would be thrown out of any noble society (and OF COURSE he woul come back, destroy the whiole castle and let leave nothing but blood & bones behind BECAUSE people were complaining about his ABSOLUTE lack of social behaviour !).

And so, since I'm not used to this kind of thinking that any action RPG implies (especially the way of the PG in terms of thinking), I'm not good at distributing points so that my character becomes the Über-hero who is able to defend anyone and anything (and degrade anyone who complains about "my" lack of proper social and intellectual behaviour into blood & bones).

Which makes my chracter weak.

My result of this is that I should rather *not* play action-oriented RPGs - but what choice do I have ? The current RPG world delivers nowadays almost nothing but action-oriented games !

So, now, I'm plying Drakensang 2 for the 4th time. I LOVE it !

And a few weeks ago (if I remember correctly) someone came into he official Draknsng forums, complained what kind of utter crap Drakensang 2 was, no replayability whatsoever (despite me playing it through for the 4th time) and tht the fights were so booooringly easy ... Meanwhile - as he wrote - he was playing Drakensang 1 through for the third time, found its replayability excellent (I found almost none) and all in all made very clear (though rather implicitely) that he was a powergamer ...

I assume that i must turn towards the Indies if I want not-combat-heavy RPGs nowadays ... Action is the main path, the highway, and non-combat is the niche that no-one works for ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Amnariel
There is no hard part even in Very very very very Hard mode

Powergamer ?

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
One of the points is that Powergamers are easily attracted by Action-RPGs - and Powergamers ALWAYS distribute points so that they'll get the most combat-heavy character. No matter whether using magic or close combat or ranged combbat or whatever.

Powergamers are also quick with computing which skills give the best results for their price - I call this "points shopping" - and they re very good in maths, computing everything out ...

And they know what they do. They often have a distinct plan on how to develop their character into the most powerful direction.

Bleh. I remember following the instructions and suggestions for "power levelling" once, maybe put in a couple of dozen hours, but it utterly ruined the rest of the game experience for me. I'm not going to criticise those who like that approach, but it really wasn't for me and I wouldn't want to see it as an essential part of gaming. And from that point of view, I did find ED to be too hard first time through. Second time less so, maybe because the dynamics had been altered somewhat or perhaps I'd picked up more details than I'd assumed, but I would expect the "easy" setting to actually be easy for those who want it. Which is me, often enough.

Last edited by Vometia; 15/02/11 02:55 AM. Reason: reworded sentence. yay for meandering concentration

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Originally Posted by Amnariel
There is no hard part even in Very very very very Hard mode

Powergamer ?

Yep I am one :P I have 17 characters all finished(Ygerna Killed) in Hard mode.
The secret is,learn from your own mistakes,the game have a wide window of posibilities and different endings...the best example what I think everybody knows...the first confrontation with the soldiers in the Tavern,if you tell the truth the captain will send his man's to fight the ogre what you will meet after meeting Damian and Zandalor but it doesn't important,importatn is they will die if you are not enough fast and you will never be able to open the door behind the church because mind reading them you will find the answer how to enter and with this you have lost a lot of items and money,but if you lie you can meet them in the barracks and talk to them/mindread.

I played 3 weeks ago Divinity 2 because its still borring a bit,but I will restart again with Warrior laugh

Divinity 3 birthdayjump I wait it so much :((

stranger
stranger
I have found DKS way easier then original, so much that there was no real challenge.I certainly don't plan to go back again,like i did in ED despite really liking the game.Fortresses are to easy now and in general most of the mobs are cannon fodders for you to level.

I used literally same skill and point setup as in original ED for my character.

Maybe if i pick up FoV on sale will try with ED/FOV version instead of DKS.And for the record , i am old school RPG player (20+ years) and don't like the game , unless it beats me into head savagely.

veteran
veteran
Hmm Tariq, try "Nightmare difficulty Mode" if you didn't find the game on "hard" a challenge wink

I like a real challenge as long as I have fun with the game! If it become really TOO hard, I wish to lower the settting of difficulty. That's also totally NO shame wink

Most important (for me): to have Fun with a game !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Joram
wink Most important (for me): to have Fun with a game !

Exactly that!

A
veteran
veteran
A
I want powergaming with social skills ! grin

--Dilbert cartoon

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Joram
Hmm Tariq, try "Nightmare difficulty Mode" if you didn't find the game on "hard" a challenge wink

Most important (for me): to have Fun with a game !

In Nightmare mode you have need Cat reflexes xDD and Keybind,I play more with keyboard than with mouse xD but is Fun laugh
And agree,To have fun is the most important thing in a game,and the Storyline of course laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard