Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#439117 18/02/11 10:58 AM
Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just got this game from Steam wihtout knowing anything about it beforehand, so initially i can say i was quite objective when judging this game. After playing it for some time though, i have made up my mind considering my feelings for this game.

The first thing that strikes me after starting up a fresh story is that the landscape has been rendered quite good actually and i believe the game will be a positive experience... however, the facial rendering and the voice acting seriously puts me back just momenst later. Well, i didn`t actually think too much about the facial rendering, just had to put it out there nonetheless. Also after exploring a little bit it also strikes me as a little bit hillarious most of the furnishing scaling. I`m actually considering uninstalling the game and just move on to something a little more interesting, but i`m thinking i paid for this game i should give it a chance to prevent a total money loss.

At first an hour passes and i gain a few levels and more insight to the game, each level i gain intrigues me more and more because of the feel of power gain, you actually become more powerful for each talent point spent. An another hour passes and i`m completely lost in the story, just like reading an exciting book. Forgotten is the disappointment for the facial rendering, the lame voice acting and the impossible scaling issues. The issues i started out having has actually become part of the charm that is the game and i find myself unable to leave the game for extended periods of time. When i actually managed to leave the game and go to bed my dreams were actually filled with dragons and evil magicians, so the game actually followed me to my sleep! No less than an hour ago i finished the Flames of Vengance and i find myself here looking for even more expansion packs and addons, so i can definetely say that in my opinion, Divinity, is far from a phailed game. The only thing i don`t like about the game is that i`m already finished! With normal difficulty i managed to finish Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengance in one go in no less than 43 hours, all side quests for all regions included. And in my book 43 hours is a long time to finish games these days, so thumbs up for Larian studios for this game, and i hope i`ll see more of your works in the near future!

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Althoo
each level i gain intrigues me more and more because of the feel of power gain,

How different playing styles are !

Me, I don't play RPGs for "the feeling of power", but rather to "live" a story.
Story-oriented play is very different from the playing style that's normal in Action-RPGs.

From the action-oriented point of view I guess/assume that Divinity 2 is quite good. In FOV, the story aspect seems to be a bit bigger, then.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I`m actually comparing it a bit to Oblivion, which i think has a great story. But what Bethesda did wrong there was that they made the mobs scale in level and difficulty along with the player. In that regard i didn`t see any point in gaining levels and should isntead just have gotten new skills. But with DKS which i also think has a good story, you actually do get stronger and you can feel it for every skill point spent. I agree with you that the game wouldn`t have been the same if you couldn`t "live" the story as you say, i think the story is the main factor in RPG`s, but the feel of power is a welcome bonus;)

Support
Support

The similar character models have been brought up before (I never really noticed), but the voice acting has generally been considered good.

With D2:ED I took my time, explored everywhere and did all the quests, taking 75 hours. DKS is easier on normal that D2:ED, but when the Xbox version is out here I plan on starting a character on nightmare difficulty, so I hopefully shouldn't finish dramatically faster.

There are no more announced (or expected) add-ons. There is a little bit of info on what Larian is working on now, though; see Lar's post here, and there were some earlier comments in the older topic Status update.

Welcome to the forum. wave

veteran
veteran
O, taking my time to play I defenitely play much more hours, at least above 100 hours!!

I almost can't understand how some people can RUN (in a record tempo!) through a RPG ... that is so beautiful !!

Is it a race? A competition? A kind of impatience? Or ... ?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
That the voice actin was lame was actually just my initial reaction, however, the more i played the more i got to enjoy it. As i stated earlier, the things i initially reacted to as flaws i now view as some of the charm the game has to offer;)

And thanks for the links Raze, i will certainly pay attention to what Larian will provide us with in the future, also thanks for the welcome:)

Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Joram
O, taking my time to play I defenitely play much more hours, at least above 100 hours!!

I almost can't understand how some people can RUN (in a record tempo!) through a RPG ... that is so beautiful !!

Is it a race? A competition? A kind of impatience? Or ... ?

Actually i didn`t race thru the game, i talked with every character, defeated every flying fortress, explored every nook and cranny and did every subquest. I would probably have to spend more time if i upped the difficulty setting, which i had at normal. Or maybe it`s just that i`m such an experienced RPG player, hehe;) I`ll let you know how much time i spent after finishing Nightmare difficulty.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Yes... exploration is a great experience in rpgs when no one is hand-holding us.

And i don't mind voice acting,it was a bit off sometimes but it's not big problem. Strange movies of some npcs in dialogs are my complain.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
My only "complaint" with this game is that i've finished it and I don't know if the story will be continued. I heard NOTHING about this game, and I only bought it because i saw it on steam and thought well doesn't look to bad maybe it will pass the time. couple hours into the game and I was seriously hooked and when I realized i had started into the expansion part of FoV and I was starting to worry that game would be over soon lol.

Huge Fan of this sleeping giant, well written, well made and very much enjoyed. I am so glad I had a chance to play this game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Althoo
I`m actually comparing it a bit to Oblivion, which i think has a great story. But what Bethesda did wrong there was that they made the mobs scale in level and difficulty along with the player. In that regard i didn`t see any point in gaining levels and should isntead just have gotten new skills.

Totally agree, the MQ of Oblivion can be finished at level 2 with level 45(?)in Acrobatics.

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
C
C
I actually agree with the complains about the English voice dialog. The issues aren't the individual lines but how dialog selection and subsequent chain of speech is disproportionally variant. The characters can be speaking in one tone in one moment and in a completely different tone 10 seconds later. There is no ramp up in inclination and none of the dialog choices presents a completely fluid listening experience. It appears the ADR work was simply done 1-shot off a dry script. And even if it wasn't, the presentation makes it seem that way. That said, I do recognize a few popular name in the industry so the English cast is fairly good.

There are ways to actually blend dialog without multiple full ADR sessions. However, D2 appears much more focused on game, than tech so I don't expect any of those techniques to be employed.

veteran
veteran
I find the voice acting very good and sometimes also very funny ! delight

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
addict
addict
It's an amazing game. The English voice acting is awesome.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Actually the voice acting in itself is good, the main thing that put me off at first was that i didn`t think that the voices suited the characters they were linked to. I mean, when you approach a badass 10th generation warrior captain, you don`t expect him to sound like a computer nerd (no offense to nerds, i`m one myself hehe;). Luckily my impressions changed after a little gameplay, this game aint supposed to be 100% serious, it`s dependent on comedy as well. I ended up loving the game as it is, even though my initial impressions weren`t that great, they are so now:)

veteran
veteran
Yeah, a "first impression" is NOT always the best one wink ...

Althoo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Exactly Joram, luckily first impressions can be replaced by second, third, fourth, etc impressions;)

veteran
veteran
Correct and I've always respect and admiration for people who has the courage to admit their first (and maybe folowed after the first) opinion was "not okay" (or whatever). Most of the time this kind of people has an "open mind" and that's very nice smile .

wave

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard