Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Errapel
I'm rather old fashioned, I like to have a real, shiney little disk rather than just a digital download (though I'll do that if I have to, I want the game! hehe), but I can't seem to find a hard copy of 'Flames of Vengeance' or 'Dragon Knight Saga' for PC anywhere. Am I going insane here or is it just not out there?

I haven't bought a physical game in some time. Probably since Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. I would recommend just getting the soft copy of the game. It is stream line and will save you time. Purchasing digital copies works for me.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Gaxkang
Well, this has been an interesting side-quest!

Having been told that the Polish version was 'full cinematic', my adventure took me to Spain ... where no-one had ever heard of this title!

So then I found a 100% English version (ie including manual) in a number of Slovak and Hungarian online stores - with Hungarian ones being around 10 Euros(!!). However, they do not ship outside of Hungary... (someone probably forgot to tell them they were in the EU). The Slovaks did, but accepted only a wire transfer of the funds (which at my bank would cost nearly 40 Euros, plus 29 Euro for the courier shipping, plus 28 Euro for the game itself) - no paypal or cc. There was an asian retailer that would ship to EU, but warned this could take 'a while' and might get nasty if someone decides to charge import VAT when it arrives.

At this point, I was rather tired of Googling for DKS, especially since most of the results had the word 'torrent' in them, and after all my sisyphean efforts, this was beginning to seem tempting. I also considered hiring a mercenary to go to Larian's HQ, break in, and grab a few DVDs, on the offchance that maybe one of them would have DKS in English.

And then I considered the most ludicrous idea of them all - that is, to download it off Steam, and betray all my principles. But fate stayed my click-finger, and by chance that same evening, I found that the Scandinavians all had English versions! So finally bought one in Finland for 24 Euros plus shipping. Just finished installing it now. @Larian - how many XP do I start the game with, having completed all that? wink

Gratz on finding a hard copy to buy, I've had zero luck so far! Care to share a link for the site you purchased from please?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Grizzly UK
Gratz on finding a hard copy to buy, I've had zero luck so far! Care to share a link for the site you purchased from please?

Gamehouse.fi, but looks like my particular one may have been the last they had (but you can try asking them if they'll restock - they speak excellent English gamehouse@gamehouse.fi). If not the way to do it is to go to google.dk (or .sk or .no) and then search for '"Dragon Knight Saga" PC DVD -torrent' (note that is a MINUS sign, so that you don't get millions of torrent results) with the 'search only pages from X(country)' option (otherwise you'll get links to amazon.ca etc. You'll quickly see dozens of places that take cc or paypal. You may need google translate, at least to get you to the 'contact us' details.

It is very nice to hold an English language manual smile , and to support one of the few developers making a proper, thinking person's RPG.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by jolietjake
Originally Posted by Errapel
I'm rather old fashioned, I like to have a real, shiney little disk rather than just a digital download (though I'll do that if I have to, I want the game! hehe), but I can't seem to find a hard copy of 'Flames of Vengeance' or 'Dragon Knight Saga' for PC anywhere. Am I going insane here or is it just not out there?

I haven't bought a physical game in some time. Probably since Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. I would recommend just getting the soft copy of the game. It is stream line and will save you time. Purchasing digital copies works for me.

I like to hold a manual in paper copy, and not one that is hundreds of pages of A4 off my little inkjet.

I also don't like a third party controlling when I install, uninstall, what gets patched and when.

That said, I was a little disappointed that the DVD version needs online activation (instead of disc check), so basically it still suffers from the issues I was trying to avoid with a soft copy (ie being reliant on someone's validation servers being active in 2018 or whenever I feel a bit nostalgic and want to go back to replay the game).

stranger
stranger

Gamehouse.fi, but looks like my particular one may have been the last they had (but you can try asking them if they'll restock - they speak excellent English gamehouse@gamehouse.fi). If not the way to do it is to go to google.dk (or .sk or .no) and then search for '"Dragon Knight Saga" PC DVD -torrent' (note that is a MINUS sign, so that you don't get millions of torrent results) with the 'search only pages from X(country)' option (otherwise you'll get links to amazon.ca etc. You'll quickly see dozens of places that take cc or paypal. You may need google translate, at least to get you to the 'contact us' details.

It is very nice to hold an English language manual smile , and to support one of the few developers making a proper, thinking person's RPG.
Thanks for the link and info. It seems you were right about them being out of stock! Tried a few other searches but still no luck. Seems I've been trying to purchase a physical copy of this game for so long without any luck that I'm starting to feel that it's just not meant to happen. Think it's time to simply give up and move on to other games that I can purchase without all this hassle.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I got mine at play-asia.com. Don't know if that will work for you or not, but worth a try.

stranger
stranger
[Thanks for the link and info. It seems you were right about them being out of stock! Tried a few other searches but still no luck. Seems I've been trying to purchase a physical copy of this game for so long without any luck that I'm starting to feel that it's just not meant to happen. Think it's time to simply give up and move on to other games that I can purchase without all this hassle.

Don't give up - the game is most definitely worth it. The guys on rpgcodex.net even liked it and that seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence (they generally whinge about everything - even Dragon Age Origins, according to them, had an incoherent cliched story and filler combat).

Here is one place they have DKS in English for 32 Euros http://english.megastore.se/ but visit a Danish price comparison site http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/129-2659340/Spil-PC/Divinity-2-The-Dragon-Knight-Saga-Sammenlign-Priser and you'll see dozens of other choices. Once you click on the store, paste the link into google translate, so that you can make sure they don't rip you off with courier shipping.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Allana
I got mine at play-asia.com. Don't know if that will work for you or not, but worth a try.

Yes, they have an English copy, but depends on the EU country in which you live for problems regarding import VAT. A lot of things I bought online from Asia carried a false customs declaration ("nil value - gift") which sometimes works, but if it doesn't and your country's customs authority persues even the little 'offender', then be prepared for some degree of hassle.

stranger
stranger
[Thanks for the link and info. It seems you were right about them being out of stock! Tried a few other searches but still no luck. Seems I've been trying to purchase a physical copy of this game for so long without any luck that I'm starting to feel that it's just not meant to happen. Think it's time to simply give up and move on to other games that I can purchase without all this hassle.

Don't give up - the game is most definitely worth it. The guys on rpgcodex.net even liked it and that seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence (they generally whinge about everything - even Dragon Age Origins, according to them, had an incoherent cliched story and filler combat).

Here is one place they have DKS in English for 32 Euros http://english.megastore.se/ but visit a Danish price comparison site http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/129-2659340/Spil-PC/Divinity-2-The-Dragon-Knight-Saga-Sammenlign-Priser and you'll see dozens of other choices. Once you click on the store, paste the link into google translate, so that you can make sure they don't rip you off with courier shipping.
I know the game is worth it, I have D2:ED and want DKS for the improvements and expansion! I've seen a few reviews for DKS that seem to be either positive or negative, although I think the lack of availability of physical copies on the UK and US markets is doing far more harm than a few negative reviews!

Thanks for those links, must apologize for my previous reply, I should have explained a little more. I was able to find quite a few online retailers advertising the game, the problems seemed to be one of the following:
currently out of stock and awaiting new stock
item currently unavailable (no other info provided)
item not for sale to other countries
don't ship outside their own country
shipping costs were too high

Then there's the language barrier, I'm English and have never learnt any other language so for those sites that don't provide their own English translation I rely on Google Translate, but that has problems with encrypted pages such as those you use when making purchases to enter personal details etc!

It would be so much easier if Larian were able to find a distribution partner/publisher that would release DKS on PC-DVD to the UK market. But after so many months I very much doubt that's ever going to happen, which is a real shame. I somehow suspect that for Larian, failure to release a game to the UK and/or US markets may end up having a negative impact on their future game releases.

Last edited by Grizzly UK; 24/02/11 09:08 AM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I too am looking for the hard copy of Divinity 2 DKS... the sites you guys have mentioned above, that do have DKS in stock, are too expensive for me... if someone manages to find a site that sells the English version of DKS with the price tag of ~15 pounds and has a delivery to Europe, post here, in this thread

K
stranger
stranger
K
Locating a hard copy of DKS was difficult in Greece too... all places had it out-of-stock but luckily I found a single retailer that had it, I am expecting it today!

stranger
stranger
Hi all, looking forward to playing this gem of a game after sampling it on the 360 wanted to get it on the PC. I am in the UK and found getting a hard copy difficult, but in the end I got mine from Play Asia too (saying that it hasnt got here yet...just ordered) but in the past have bought things from Asia and had little trouble with customs. When buying things from the US have had far more issues. I hope this helps someone trying to get this great game......

stranger
stranger
Well I finally purchased a hard copy from Play-Asia. Afraid I've been a little busy with playing DKS and a couple of other new games so I've not been back to these forums for a few weeks! Didn't realise it had been that long! hahaha I ordered on a weekend so it took Play-Asia a couple of days to process my order, I chose FedEx shipping so once they'd mailed my order it only took another couple of days to arrive. The manual etc are all in English, so I'm now happy that I've finally managed to get a hard copy of D2:DKS to replace my D2:ED! delight

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions on where to purchase a hard copy from. thankyou

veteran
veteran
Gladly, I found it in a local shop (Holland) for 20 euro.
Benefit of living so close to the developers? 0_0

I have to say I'm gobsmacked at how hard it is for people to purchase a physical copy of FOV (and publishers wonder why torrents are popular...). I decided to boycott it due to its requirement for online activation and for obvious reasons I won't touch Steam (or any other online store imposing similar DRM) with a bargepole.

If Larian ever choose to "de-DRM" it, then I'll likely look again (if I'm still taking any notice) but since they've only done this with one game out of 4 released (Beyond Divinity - Divine Divinity's GOG release doesn't count since you have to re-purchase it), I'm not too optimistic about the timescales. Instead, I'd prefer spend my time (and money) on products and companies that don't seek to inconvenience their customers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ah, the wonderful DRM. Love it or loathe it I think it's here to stay. I can understand publishers and devlopers wanting to stop piracy but DRM does not always stop it and all it does is end up being an inconvenience for some players. I try and buy hard copies of all my games but even some of them insist on an internet connection to verify them *cough* EA *cough* which is a pain.

Seem as I couldn't purchase a hard copy in the UK I made an exception and bought it on Steam. I'm not particuarly fond of steam either as if they have a problem with their network or whatnot you cannot play your legitimatley owned games.

Don't forget as well, here in the UK we are pretty backwards when it comes to broadband. If you don't live near a town or city you are pretty much screwed and stuck with dialup. In these admittedly somewhat rare cases a hard copy is the only way. I do get broadband where I live but it is only 1Mb.

Last edited by Arokh; 23/05/11 02:58 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard