Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Knight Flyer
Was in a large GAME store at a retail park today and they've halved the price of Fallout New Vegas, £29.99 down to £14.99

Guess its not selling as well as they'd hoped.

Or they're clearing stock for the releases next year (Some big releases coming quite early, such as EA's Bulletstorm) and enticing people into their store.

Just because a game's gone cheap, it doesn't mean it's not selling.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vometia
Oh, that was a stroke of bad luck. If only the competition had been something less awesome like Mass Effect or New Vegas... grin

Believe you me, in Germany that tractor sim was in the top 5 best selling games on PC for like a month. You shoulda seen the promo video. Stiff competition.

Tweeting @forktong
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
LoL - I just purchased a submarine simulator called "Dive to the Titanic" (I love sims!) - but seriously, how can you compare an epic RPG to a simple simulator?! DKS2 is definitely my game of the year smile

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Dwagginz

Just because a game's gone cheap, it doesn't mean it's not selling.

Very true

But lets take a lookie here:

NV is basically a port of Fallout 3 so your paying a new game price for a conversion of an old game.

It was released in a more bug ridden state than most Bethesda games and that takes some doing.

It uses an old engine that Bethesda never seemed to master, (even though the guys from Larian can make it hum along quite nicely).

Its a Steam activated title, might not put you off but it does put others off.

Forced patches from Steam breaks everybodies mods.

And now, so soon after release, its gone cheap, in fact, its half price.

Yup, must be sellin like hotcakes oops

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
[quote=Dwagginz]
But lets take a lookie here:

NV is basically a port of Fallout 3 so your paying a new game price for a conversion of an old game.

It was released in a more bug ridden state than most Bethesda games and that takes some doing.

It uses an old engine that Bethesda never seemed to master, (even though the guys from Larian can make it hum along quite nicely).

I enjoyed NV a lot, but I did think it was a bloody cheek using the same old engine, assets and so forth and charging full price for what was a bunch of largely broken quests and unfinished AI. If I didn't already own FO3 I might have a more positive attitude and I did get 160 hours out of it, but it seemed a bit cheap of them.

On the other hand, they did tweak the engine somewhat: FO3 had some very nasty game-corrupting bugs that seem to have gone away and in my experience NV ran a lot more smoothly, unlike the judder-fest that went before. But I'd say it was more of an albeit big expansion to FO3 rather than a fully-fledged game in itself.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
You guys just talked me into not getting Vegas. Ta.

Tweeting @forktong
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by ForkTong
You guys just talked me into not getting Vegas. Ta.

Oh, bum. It's actually quite good (and will be better once the plethora of bugs is fixed!) and I'd still recommend it; the re-use of assets is more of a principle thing, at least from my perspective.

Familiarity with its command-line to unstick quests is a prerequisite, though. grin

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
[quote=Dwagginz]

What? That makes no sense, not to mention the argument you're trying to make is so annoyingly drole and passé. So what if FO:NV is similar to FO3? Was FO2 not similar to FO1? Was BG2 not similar to BG1? Why does it matter so much if a sequel is similar to the game that precedes it? Heck, wasn't Beyond Divinity (To use a Larian example) somewhat similar to Divine Divinity?

It's not a "port" as it's not been transferred from one platform to another. It's not a conversion as they've not taken FO3 and tweaked it. It's a standalone game that overhauled the mechanics of FO3. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was updated, the perk system was overhauled, traits were added, it's a whole new setting (Sort of, anyway) with new gameplay mechanics and new items and characters. It's much more than a conversion.

And? Bugginess seems to only count against certain games. BG2 and NWN were famed for being quite buggy, too. Yeah, NV is buggy but it's no buggier than a number of other games on the market. At least Bethesda and Obsidian are working to fix the bugs, unlike some developers/publishers.

Bethesda are the only studio to really have cocked up Gamebryo to this degree. However, New Vegas (for me) is by far the most stable iteration of Bethesda's modified Gamebryo to date. FO3 blue screened constantly with my drivers and modding constantly broke Oblivion for me (Not to mention it kept falling over anyway).

Its a Steam activated title, might not put you off but it does put others off.

Forced patches from Steam breaks everybodies mods.

Not everyone mods the game, and I don't think Steam has any factor on sales at all. Civ V, Half-Life 2 + Episodes, Portal 1, TF2, Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising, MW2, Black Ops (I think that requires Steam, could be wrong) - All have done, in terms of the PC, incredibly well.

And now, so soon after release, its gone cheap, in fact, its half price.

Which is perfectly normal for the UK game market bar Activision titles. A lot of big releases drop massively in price after a short while - I've seen Dead Rising 2 at £15 for the PC.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Dwagginz

I never said it shouldn't be similar, of course it should be similar, its the same series.

What I'm saying is that they didn't develope anything new, yes they tweaked this and altered that and gave it a new storyline and quests but it uses everything that was in Fallout 3, one of the reasons that it was so buggy was that half the damn scripts from Fallout 3 were still running in the New Vegas game.

As for the term "port" or "conversion", who gives a shit what you call it, they took all the assets from Fallout 3 and used them in New Vegas, thats means they converted Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

Nehrim is a "conversion" for Oblivion, the installer takes all the game content for Oblivion and uses it for Nehrim, so how the hell is taking all the stuff from Fallout 3 and using it in New Vegas not a conversion or a port, everything from Fallout 3 has been ported into New Vegas, even the stuff thats in Fallout 3 that doesn't show up in New Vegas is still there in the game folder, don't believe me ? then open the Geck and check it out for yourself.

The fact remains that New Vegas is not a completely new game, which is what your being charged for.

As for "not everyone mods the game", the main reason that many many people buy Bethesda games is because they "can" mod them.

Steam does put some people off, try to remember the fact that just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that everybody else has the same opinion. When a lot of folks found out that New Vegas was Steam only there was hell on, Bethesda forums moderators deleted thousands of posts from people complaining about it, then there was hell on about the posts being deleted and all those posts got deleted too.

At least you agree that Bethesda made a bloody mess of Gamebryo.

And finally, I finished off the last of my Xmas shopping (mmmmm beer) in good old Tesco's and there was Fallout NV at £22, somat is definately up when Tesco's drops the price of games.

Last edited by Knight Flyer; 23/12/10 02:40 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
What I'm saying is that they didn't develope anything new, yes they tweaked this and altered that and gave it a new storyline and quests but it uses everything that was in Fallout 3, one of the reasons that it was so buggy was that half the damn scripts from Fallout 3 were still running in the New Vegas game.

That's interesting - I hadn't realised that. I had noticed that there was still a huge amount of Fallout 3-related stuff lurking in the master file that had absolutely nothing to do with FNV such as characters, items and stuff. I'd assumed rather naively it was to make modders' life easier by retaining formids so that porting their mods was easier (even given their track record with FO3), but it does seem to be more a case of a sloppy conversion.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
No, New Vegas isn't a 100% new game, I agree. The game itself (As in what you interact with, what you see etc) uses a lot of Bethesda's assets, but there are just as many (If not more) items created by Obsidian, from character facegens to faction armour, from weapons to buildings. The time they saved on creating new items (Most of the reused ones are smaller items such as pilot lights, stimpaks, etc. which could have taken a lot of time to make) could have been used to create the needed new items and on crafting the game. New Vegas had a smaller dev cycle than FO3.

It's no less of a full game, though, and to call it "a conversion of an old game" isn't accurate, or fair, to any degree.

I'll also agree that Obsidian should have cut down the resources a lot, because if you're right (And I assume you are from Vometia's comment) then there's a lot of fluff that needs removing to streamline the system.

old hand
old hand
It's better if Obsidian starts from a pre-existing engine & another developer's IP, because if they have to create something from scratch on their own, it's a total debacle (see Alpha Protocol).

Now they're using their home-brewn engine (Onyx) for Dungeon Siege 3, let's see how that one goes.

Last edited by virumor; 24/12/10 02:07 PM.
S
S

It's similar to Fallout 3 but it's not a conversion lol...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor
It's better if Obsidian starts from a pre-existing engine & another developer's IP, because if they have to create something from scratch on their own, it's a total debacle (see Alpha Protocol).

Alpha Protocol was on Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 wink

D
stranger
stranger
D
shopto.net £26.99

OP Offline
My son picked up a copy at Game today with his xmas Game Money Card for £27.99 and it was sealed. That was with the sticker of it being priced before at £42.99 that it was last week!!! The £27.99 was a massive in ya face sale type round sticker lol.

Funny thing is, they have this so called sale on but I see official control pads have gone back up to £39.99 which is a first for a very, very long time.
Dirty Bar Stewards knowing people who got a 360 for xmas may want another. They think we are stupid, but Tesco have been doing this for years with it's food!! think

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
stranger
stranger
Hi guys remember Mastertronic £1.99 and I think I picked up rebelstar for about £2.99!!! great game so really showing my age :-(

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard