Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
When I am playing Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga, many (but not most) textures are transparent. I can see through certain hair styles, certain NPCs bodies and some of their heads.

I have tried installing Directx 9.0c and that did not help.

My game resolution exactly matches my desktop resolution (1920x1200). (But I tried playing under reduced resolution -- for example 1280x800 -- and that did not get rid of this issue for me, nor make it worse.)

My game performance has been reasonable.

I have the most recent drivers for my system (which, admittedly, are not very recent, since I am using GeForce 9800M GTX, and updates for mobile drivers have been rare).

My system is vista 64, and I am playing under steam.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this issue, other than giving up on the game?

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Hmmm, perhaps it's a 9800M (mobile) issue. I had no such trouble in Vista 64 on a PC with two 285 GTX cards.

When you say transparent I'm guessing you mean the textures simply aren't displaying, rather than having a glassy appearance.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Mobile graphics cards aren't usually 'officially' supported, but I can confirm that the game works perfectly with my old desktop 9800GTX (as well as my newer SLI GTX 295). In fact, I've recently discovered that it works fine with both cards combined (with the 9800 handling the PhysX load).

It sounds like it may well be a mobile/laptop issue, but hopefully not. Good luck!

Support
Support

Did you check Nvidia's site for drivers? There was a release for your chipset two months ago, which may be newer than the laptop manufacturer's last update, if that is what you are using.

Try running the game as administrator, and in the compatibility options disable desktop composition (in Vista/7).

Did you try changing the texture quality setting, etc?

Did you double check the graphicoptions.xml file to make sure it listed the game at the same resolution as your desktop? That is the procedure given in the DKS Support FAQ, anyway (quoted in the spoiler).

27/ Characters and assets are transparent and/or assets look like shadows

Problem
Characters and assets are transparent and/or assets look like shadows

Solution
Quit the game. Look for this file:

Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\[WindowsUser]\AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

Windows XP: C:\Documents And Settings\[WindowsUser]\Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

If you cannot find the files, make hidden files visible.

Right-click the file and choose Edit, or open the file in a text editor like Notepad.

Change the resolution manually to reflect the native resolution of your screen.

E.g. ScreenWidth="1440" ScreenHeight="900"

E.g. ScreenWidth="1280" ScreenHeight="1024"

E.g. ScreenWidth="1600" ScreenHeight="1200"

It seems you've already search the forum and found topics with similar problems, like Everything is transparent ...

Try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and perhaps a link to this post. Maybe include the report from dxdiag and Larian's support tool.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I mis-spoke, I should have said "translucent" and not "transparent" (though, in fact, in many cases the items are nearly invisible). Also, I am not just seeing translucent characters but I am also seeing translucent items (some which can be interacted with, like the cleaver from Carl Jackson's basement) and others which cannot be (like some plants).

But also, I think that this effect is unintentional because (for example), Linda Miller has an opaque head and yet her body is translucent.

But I did double check my config xml file, and that file was indeed 1920 by 1200, which does match my desktop resolution.

Meanwhile, I had been checking nVidia's site (and I had been writing my laptop manufacturer) but apparently I was not searching properly because I had not seen a release that recent. I am downloading and installing it now and will follow up once I know how well that works for me. (Thank you!)

Last edited by needshelps; 13/03/11 05:41 AM.
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
And... that worked! smile

Thank you.

My real problem, here, was that I did not understand how to find current drivers for my system when they became available. That's some kind of saved search issue that I should study.

Support
Support

Glad you got it working, and a belated welcome to the forum. wave

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard