Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#441519 10/04/11 07:58 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi there. I am trying to run Divinity 2: TDKS, using my tv as a monitor, but every time i try to start the game, i get the "Out of reach" message from my tv, saying that the resolution is wrong,

I am far from any shark with resolutions, and even doubt my current setup is right, but was wondering if there was any way to change it, so i can run the game? Since i can't see anything when i open the game, i can't change the resolution, and steam, with all it's messed up security, won't let me fiddle with any of the game files, Have also tried running it in "Launch option" with various settings, without luck

Hope i can get it to work on this screen, because i would hate to go back to the old tiny one

Thanks infront

Support
Support

So Windows is fine on the TV?

Can you start the game on a monitor, set the resolution to something your TV supports, and then switch to using the TV? You should be able to find a manual or something online listing the supported resolutions and refresh rates of your TV.

Even with the Steam version, AFAIK you should still be able to manually change the resolution. From the 'Crash to desktop' section of the PC DKS Support FAQ topic;

Changing the resolution manually is done in this file:

Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\[WindowsUser]\AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

Windows XP: C:\Documents And Settings\[WindowsUser]\Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

Right-click and choose edit, or open it in Notepad or another text editor.

Change the following values and set them to a safe and low resolution, for example:

ScreenWidth="800" ScreenHeight="600"

Save the XML file and try to boot the game.

If that doesn't work, try to manually change these options in the same xml file:

UseHDR="0" UseDesktopResInFullscreen="0" ShadowTimeSlicing="1"

Save the XML file and try to boot the game.

Raze #441523 10/04/11 08:58 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In that folder i only find Registry.xml
And my brother has my old screen (Not living with me)

I can run windows fine, although having trouble finding a resolution that fits perfect there aswell, everything is in place and all but somewhat grainy,, nevertheless, that is for another forum

I can run games fine aswell, including Crysis 2, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, and Magicka, to include some games of different system requirements

Support
Support

Do you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders? (XP, Vista, Win 7)

Maybe the graphics options file isn't created until after the game is started for the first time. I don't recall seeing anyone report it being in a different location for the Steam version, anyway.

If nobody with the Steam version replies about how to set the resolution, try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this topic. You could also check the Steam forum, if you haven't done so already.

Raze #441538 11/04/11 06:18 AM
ava Offline
If you do not find the graphicoptions.xml file, it means that the game never started successfully. It gets created on the first run. The default resolution that it takes is the resolution that you have at that moment for your desktop.

What resolution does your desktop have, what kind of tv and what kind of connection (scart/hdmi/...) do you use?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
ava #441548 11/04/11 01:07 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have a Medion tv, It's set to 1360x768, and it's connected by a VGA cord,

I have tried to start the game,, i have been able to get to the menu on my old screen so guessed around, and got it started up so i could hear the first cutscene, I'll try and let it run through and then check if the file is there.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh my god,, I have tried nothing, and now when i opened it,, it showed the intro etc.. seems to be working now, i'll play around a bit, and report back if theres anything

*Edit*
Still have the crashing problem i have asked about in an older thread,,
How big is the difference in gameplay, from pc, to xbox360? Because it seems like that is my only option to get this game played,:)

Last edited by Neonfire; 11/04/11 01:26 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Bought the Xbox version, so that should hopefully work, otherwise i'll go nuts :P

Thanks for the help anyways guys

Support
Support

The camera system and UI are different between the PC and Xbox versions, but the gameplay and content are the same.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard